CPU/Mobo AMD Ryzen CPUs launched

Got some google alerts emails mentioning something about an upcoming AMD Kyzen name being trademarked :) wonder if that is the new Zen2 CPU or maybe just Ryzen APUs or something else altogether.

Well deserved, haters gonna hate but in the end competition is great for consumers.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3198...tarts-a-bloody-battle-for-enthusiast-pcs.html

3AWEuDD.jpg

gZcQHQC.jpg

Last edited:
There's a new BIOS update version 0613 for the ASUS Prime B350-Plus motherboard which I have. The website only says "improves system stability" in their usual vague message.

Flashed it just now and I don't notice any improvements. Still have the one-time reboot during cold boot, after which it proceeds to work apparently normally for me.

Does not seem to have the new AGESA 1006 update because the microcode version shown in the BIOS was 800111C before and remained the same after this update.

There's a new BIOS update version 0613 for the ASUS Prime B350-Plus motherboard which I have. The website only says "improves system stability" in their usual vague message.

Flashed it just now and I don't notice any improvements. Still have the one-time reboot during cold boot, after which it proceeds to work apparently normally for me.

Does not seem to have the new AGESA 1006 update because the microcode version shown in the BIOS was 800111C before and remained the same after this update.
AMD has already distributed the AGESA 1.0.0.6 to its motherboard partners, so BIOS updates should be available starting in mid to late June. Having said that, there are apparently beta versions currently available for the ASUS Crosshair VI and GIGABYTE GA-AX370-Gaming 5

Oh gawd, not another CPU bug! See :

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/6ffvf7/linux_ryzen_crashes_likely_due_to_hardware_bug/
http://gitweb.dragonflybsd.org/dragonfly.git/commitdiff/b48dd28447fc8ef62fbc963accd301557fd9ac20
https://www.phoronix.com/forums/for...ing-issues-with-heavy-compilation-loads/page7

Hi, Matt Dillon here. Yes, I did find what I believe to be a hardware issue with Ryzen related to concurrent operations. In a nutshell, for any given hyperthread pair, if one hyperthread is in a cpu-bound loop of any kind (can be in user mode), and the other hyperthread is returning from an interrupt via IRETQ, the hyperthread issuing the IRETQ can stall indefinitely until the other hyperthread with the cpu-bound loop pauses (aka HLT until next interrupt). After this situation occurs, the system appears to destabilize. The situation does not occur if the cpu-bound loop is on a different core than the core doing the IRETQ. The %rip the IRETQ returns to (e.g. userland %rip address) matters a *LOT*. The problem occurs more often with high %rip addresses such as near the top of the user stack, which is where DragonFly's signal trampoline traditionally resides. So a user program taking a signal on one thread while another thread is cpu-bound can cause this behavior. Changing the location of the signal trampoline makes it more difficult to reproduce the problem. I have not been able to completely mitigate it. When a cpu-thread stalls in this manner it appears to stall INSIDE the microcode for IRETQ. It doesn't make it to the return pc, and the cpu thread cannot take any IPIs or other hardware interrupts while in this state.

The bug is completely unrelated to overclocking. It is deterministically reproducable.

I sent a full test case off to AMD in April.

I should caution here that I only have ONE Ryzen system (1700X, Asus mobo), so its certainly possible that it is a bug in that system or a bug in DragonFly (though it seems unlikely given the particular hyperthread pairing characteristics of the bug). Only IRETQ seems to trigger it in the manner described above, which means that AMD can probably fix it with a microcode update.

-Matt

Well just discovered that Ryzen sata doesn't like the SM2246EN controller in my ssd too much. The machine freezes occassionally and then starts responding again after a while. Weird!

Need to get a samsung nvme ssd now.

@Chaos how did you track down the cause of the freeze being related to the SATA portion?
I get a sata port reset log in event viewer. The PC just freezes for a minute or so and then everything is back to normal. On searching I found that many folks with sm2246en SSD drives are facing the exact same issue.

Back