AMD vows 'freedom' for new Radeon brands as GeForce Partner Program controversy swirls

iPwnz

Brutally Honest
Skilled
Our proud pastime of PC gaming has been built on the idea of freedom. Freedom to choose. How to play the game. What to do and when to do it. And specifically, what to play it on. PC gaming has a long, proud tradition of choice. Whether you build and upgrade your own PCs, or order pre-built rigs after you’ve customized every detail online, you know that what you’re playing on is of your own making, based on your freedom to choose the components that you want. Freedom of choice is a staple of PC gaming.

Today, ASUS announced its AREZ-branded AMD Radeon RX graphics cards and over the coming weeks, you can expect to see more add-in board partners launch new brands carrying the AMD Radeon name.

AMD is pledging to reignite freedom of choice when gamers choose an AMD Radeon RX graphics card.

The Asus Arez lineup won't be the only new Radeon-exclusive graphics card brand, AMD says.

#AyyMD

Official Radeon Twitter video

Official Radeon site

hardOCP

PC World

Edit:
I want to clarify something about HardOCP and it's Editor-in-Chief, Kyle Bennet, the person who broke the news about the Nvidia's GPP. He was a known Nvidia fanboy and troll before all of these. I used to be an avid reader of the site. So I'm pretty surprised to know it was him who published the GPP fiasco. I'm saying these just in case someone thinks he's being "whiteknighted."

Last edited:
I dont know what GPP is

in a nutshell, nvidia's shitty program to make exclusives. Lets say company X decided to join nvidia gpp, it cannot make GPU using AMD silicon.

For example, look at the twin frozr from MSI - if they make this into their gaming brand (IDK if it is), then they cannot make twin frozr with AMD GPU.

At the end of the day, as usual, we will be the losers - firstly, the GPU market is between nvidia and AMD, next for alt coin mining - gpus are scarce, now this is next.

in a nutshell, nvidia's shitty program to make exclusives. Lets say company X decided to join nvidia gpp, it cannot make GPU using AMD silicon.
AFAIK the "non-partners" still can make AMD cards. Just that they won't get the benefits of extra "power" or important technical assistance from Nvidia which are/will be enjoyed by Nvidia exclusive partnership (like EVGA/Zotac for example for pre-GPP and Gigabyte for post-GPP).

I dont know what GPP is
Non-GPP partners will no longer be prioritized for Nvidia GPU's.
Original article by hardOCP is here:
https://hardocp.com/article/2018/03/07/geforce_partner_program_impacts_consumer_choice

My understanding is that partners that join Nvidia's GPP, cannot use their top gaming brands i.e Asus - Strix, Gigabyte - Aorus, MSI - Gaming, cannot use these for the competitor, going forward, you will not see this branding for AMD cards. This is quite appalling if you ask me, but Nvidia have the control and the AIBs have no other option. This is probably to preempt anything Intel is planning to do, but AMD is absolutely no threat to Nvidia in the current market.

Back