Audio An evening with Audio Technica CK10: First Impressions

esanthosh

Skilled
Intro:

I was writing lot of impressions of late, but they looked to be going downhill all the way to jargon junk. So, for a while now, I've stayed away from it and am trying out newer music. Still, the little red devil in my brain wakes up and starts analyzing signatures sometimes, which I so hate. Where has all the innocence of listening to music gone?

I really did not want to write this, but it helps to drain my head of this excitement.

Prelude:

I was listening to Playaz N1 for a while and was looking to pick up another IEM for listening. I found a small case in the cabinet which attracted my attention. I scratched my head for 20 seconds trying to remember what the hell it is. Finally I remembered that it was one of the costliest IEMs I've got now - right between SM3 ($320) and a little above FX700 ($270, I know now) at about $280. I've got this bugger for sometime now. But since I acquired too many other IEMs around the same time, they got only about half an hour appointment with my ears and back into the case they went... until yesterday.

The Evening:

Let's begin with my tracks. I usually am an end to end album listener unless I am trying to test IEMs. I picked Opeth, my favorite band. They are classified as "Progressive Death Metal". While that genre description reminds people of frustrated, demented, downright destructive music, the only term I associate with Opeth is "beautiful" as in watching the dew on the rose in the early morning. Most of the 'death' and 'metal' bands could be termed 'monstrous', 'brutal', 'machine like', 'monotonous' by me. So that out of the way, let me get to CK10.

CK10 has probably the thickest cable among all the IEMs I own. Reviews at Head-fi made me think I was going to get an IEM with a 1" rope for cable, which was not the case here. The build quality is good, the shells are tiny, the case is so-so.

The first thing that hit me when I put on CK10 and twisted it to fit my ears was :huh:. Damn! Where has all the tone and the timbre gone? "Ghost Reveries" for my tastes, is one of the most sweet sounding albums of Opeth - an eclectic mix of complex heavy passages and acoustic guitars, cleanly sung melodies and death growls. Anyways, I felt that loss of musicality for about 15-20 mins. But, in between, I observed how the drums traveled from the back of my head to the front. Very neat! A few minutes later, I relaxed into music. Thinking about it, it's an experience which I've not encountered in a long, long time. Last I eased into music without worrying about what's missing was when I had RE0. That was also the time when I didn't know much about sound except the words bass and treble.

If I describe CK10, I cannot do without the word 'relaxed'. That relaxation comes from finding most of what one wants from an IEM. Most? But isn't CK10 not supposed to be the uber-super-duper-most-perfect-IEM in the world? It is not. No IEM is. Give me the costliest custom and I'll complain about something. Yeah! buy me both UM Miracle + FutureSonics MG6Pro customs and I'll tell you what are their 'defects' :p.

CK10 has a slightly open feel to it, a feeling that I get with FX700, Playaz N1 and ECCI PR401. The sound stage feels limitless, though it may not be the biggest stage ever in an IEM. What CK10 does well is in how it uses that space. Each sound has it's own unique spot in the sound field. Drummer hit right of center, then left of center but slightly off middle and right in the middle? Three unique spots which you can point with your finger easily. Yes! any IEM would do that, but they don't feel pinpoint accurate like CK10. Did I say 'accurate'? Make it precise. Accurate would mean that somehow I tapped into the studio and knew where the recording engineer intended to position the sound in my head :ashamed:.

The bass is extended, but does not have the quantity to go with it. Bass-heads can keep off. The mids are not forward, recessed, damaged, but right where it needs to be. Midrange is by and large smooth. The treble of course is sparkling and is well balanced with the rest of the spectrum. Oh! and then there's the speed. CK10 is pretty effortless when it comes to resolving complex details. Of course, there's clarity! Are you kidding?

With the speculation that DBA-02 and CK10 use the same drivers, my first impressions are indeed different. With DBA-02, I was marveling at the technicalities more like a tool. More than once, I've used words like 'bright', 'aggressive', 'in your face', 'lean' when describing DBA-02. With CK10, I eased more into music. It too has the speed. But the minor differences (not much A/B done, so take these with a pinch of salt) add together well in favour of CK10. The bass has more body, the mids are more smoother. CK10 does have a big spike around 10Khz and it shows itself sometimes, but despite the peak, I don't attach the term 'aggressive' with CK10. May be people without my ear's natural protection of treble roll-off may feel otherwise. CK10 also stays clear of sibilance even if it's present in the recording. It does not try to smoothen and iron them out, but the 'ss' are very short lived that they hardly ever have a chance to hurt your ears. This in my case leads to fatigue free listening.

The End:

So, is CK10 the most perfectly made pair with greatest evah build quality and sound quality rolled into one? It has a few issues, which may or may not matter to you - Sound stage does lack height from what I observed and the bass quantity is unsuitable for Trance heads. Fit could be an issue for some at least. That 10Khz spike could hurt a few ears.

But other than that, CK10 is in many ways great for my listening, even perfect. But, will I keep saying this after a few months? Not sure. I have wandered from the thin, but analytical RE0 to musical IEMs like FX700 and have come a full circle to CK10. My problem is I don't hate either types, though I am veering towards musical IEMs of late. So, my ranking is always subject to change.

Tentative Ranking:

In my rankings, I have reserved the first three places for IEMs which are special i.e., If you put a gun to my head and ask me to take only three IEMs for a couple of years on a lonely island (which still has power, PC and Internet access), those are the three I'd take. Since CK10 seems to be beating DBA-02 at least based on poor, illusive, not-always-correct audio memory, I am putting CK10 at the provisional #2 jammed between the thick sounding SM3 and the voluptuous sounding FX700. Sorry DBA-02! You have to go down - at least for now!

Haahahaa........nice review. Humourous too.

I think they sound much better with pop/rock music. Bands like Green Day, RHCP, Pearl Jam, Nirvana,etc sound better than Opeth, Glory Box, Massive attack, etc on them. Basically what I look for in an IEM is not the nature of the iem, but what it does for my music and how good it can make something sound. Well that is the whole purpose of owning different IEM's now isn't it? If I listen to house music on the CK10(which takes away all the sub bass), theres no point of listening to it or no fun in listening to it anyway. Sure the treble and mids will sound amazing but if you like boom in your music and it falls short, theres no point of it being there in the first place. I like them with the former since the music is more fast paced and the treble is prominent. Make me enjoy them more on the CK10 rather than the SM3. But in your case if you like music which has more action going on in the bass region than the treble, SM3 and Fx700 is obviously your favourite.

So your statement that you would take the SM3 or Fx700 if stranded on an island would depend on what kind of music(the genre) your listening to when you packed your iem before your plane went down and you got Cast Away. :p

^ Oh! I meant I will take all three when cast away - SM3, CK10 and FX700. It's far better than talking to a volleyball :)

I am not very genre specific when it comes to IEMs. Sure I am looking for deep, extended bass that makes my ear drums dance at times, but in general I stay within the realms of prog rock / metal where you have many things happening at once. For that kind of music, Speed, separation, clarity, good mids and good treble are more the norm than bass. CK10 fits like a custom mold for that kind of music. SM3, to borrow from a head-fi PM, is sort of nonchalantly good. It can make me listen to stuff that I usually hate with other IEMs. FX700 is really voluptuous sounding - with good bass, good treble, spaciousness, timbre, sweetness - it can go with many genres. With them, I have a 'smooth sounding', 'analytical' and 'musical' IEM respectively - all on top of their game. If I had a choice to take a fourth one, I probably would tug along TF10. Despite all that talk of 'recessed mids' and fit rage, it still remains one of the best fun sounding IEMs.

bennysachdev said:
I laughed so hard on this one!! :rofl:
+ playing volleyball alone would be boring hehe.

++ to what dudes are saying here, your review is certainly a good read, you have expressed your observation's in words very lucidly.
I am getting tempted to buy a pair of iems or headphones, I just use the dac on my Udac to stream audio from my laptop.

@mukul, benny, vivacious_tg, JPL (+ those who liked it)

Thanks. As long as there's eargasm and mood intersecting, I'd try and do more impressions like this than in bland technical jargon.

Brendon, do you even believe it when he says that now? I just roll my eyes now and read on!

esanthosh, Well written and yes the write ups were getting a bit analytical and jargon-ful, now its more fun and musical!

Maybe i'm repeating myself from another post but this has to be mentioned, the bass lacks a punch, and the treble sounds shrill. The sound is harsh after listening for a while to any heavy track. These are my impressions while listening to Above and Beyond's weekly podcast.

Switching to something mellow, U2 - One, and it sounds much better, like all the harshness is subdued, like this is what they were made for. Every pluck of the string sounds so detailed and distinguished. The CK10 are very detailed and very fast.

finally you have the CK10 as well.

So the soundstage is better than DBA ??

I will try to make a trip to your place , try getting the EX1000 by then.

strategy said:
finally you have the CK10 as well.

So the soundstage is better than DBA ??

I will try to make a trip to your place , try getting the EX1000 by then.

You talking to me? I have the CK10 since a few months now.

^ Guess he was talking to me (since he mentioned DBA-02 ;))

EX-1000? Probably sometime. Not sure if I will get it immediately though!

esanthosh said:
^ Guess he was talking to me (since he mentioned DBA-02 ;))

EX-1000? Probably sometime. Not sure if I will get it immediately though!
This is what happens when you don't access the forum for a few days, you start forgetting esanthosh's gear.

FaH33m said:
Nice review Santhosh

Thanks! Looking forward to your RE-272 vs B2 review soon ;)

bennysachdev said:
This is what happens when you don't access the forum for a few days, you start forgetting esanthosh's gear.

Common problem. Even I can't remember it these days off the top of my head :ashamed:

Back