An Unusual Problem

SharekhaN

Skilled
It was some 3-4 months ago that we stopped opening the door for the milkman. It was difficult for the family who all slept in my room which has air conditioning for the summer months, to get up at the knock of the door at 6 AM. We used to leave a bag near the railings next to the door, where the milkman would usually leave 2 bags of 500 ml of milk.

I usually come home by 11 PM from office. We would notice that someone used to throw away the bag by the time I used to get home. So we started keep the bag later in the night after I came in, and the suit followed by morning.

To combat this, we tied a cloth bag to the door from the inside so that there was no easy way to throw away the bag. So all was well for a week or so until today where someone had removed one of the bags of milk and broke/emptied it on the ground.

This is the last straw and me and my family are very curious as to who in our building has such ill will towards us.

I have scouted the general perimeter in front of the door and it is very difficult to have a camera set up without something seeming out of place, nor is there a great place to set up recon.

Any suggestions what I should be doing here. I wanna slap the people responsible for this kind of harassment.

Have a small cutout done close to the bottom of the door so the milkman could drop the packets through it. A carpenter could do it without screwing up the door. Wouldn't look all that bad either. All the couriers and mails could be dropped off the same cut-out. :)

As for catching the culprit, maybe you should set up some cheapo USB cam in a ghetto way so that he doesn't notice it and you could capture the video, if there's a facility to.

agree with Desecrator

Didnt you ever saw stuart little cartoon.. the way there is a cutout on the door for snowbell (cat) to move in and out...

OR YoU can leave open the window where he can dump the Milk in yourbag hang to the window. Well thatz what we have it. You may wanna give a try

eBro

drill a hole in the door and put a cam pointing at the bag from inside
ask someone to man the door one of the days and watch it from the peephole , you just have to scare him once :p
put glue on the milk bags one day and let him take the bait
put a jack in the box behind the bag and let him scared and scream

take a pipe.. fit one end in the wall of the door, and another in the bottle/bowl in kitchen...

ask mlkman to pour the milk in pipe.. and it will automatically for to the bottle..

I dont want milk, I wanna catch who ever is responsible. I am looking how can I set up some surveilance so that I can catch the bigger in action. ideally i would want something that can record for atleast 8 hrs.

^Depends on your front door setup and the vicinity. If you install a cam upfront, the guy would notice it straight away. If you stay in a flat with a neighbouring house in close quarters, install the cam from a window (kitchen window?) to face this door or something like that.

Or pay a guy and ask him to watch the door from a distance.

Or install a footstep sensor that would emit sound from a buzzer as soon as someone steps on it. Have a large door mat in front of the door and have the sensor setup beneath it. This shouldn't be expensive and could be easily done. Search for circuits in the web.

Could this be done by some guy who drops the newspaper at the flats or someone who goes jogging early in the dawn? :p

i would love to see how a dog can remove 1 packet of milk from somewhere it cant reach. But in any case i dont see any strays in the colony.

Anyways I will keep you guys posted.

may be installing cam in place of door eye would be good idea. It can cover almost everything in front of the door.

get a cam , hook it onto your computer through a usb extender , there are lots of places to hide a cam , live telecast the feed onto veoh , one of us will keep looking and nab him :D

^ Yup, set up a webcast. Or just stake it out the old fashioned way for a day or two.

Also don't underestimate cats and dogs. Cats come into our house many times at night and just stand before the fridge staring at it.
Once I was playing TF2 late at night, looked behind, and there was a damn street dog staring at me :S. My room is on the second floor.

oh damn that would have been scary ... i once after a heavy lunch was going to bed when i thought i saw a dog walking on 7' high compound wall ,i was like wTf , ran out to check still thinking my eyes are playing tricks when i really saw it walking on the wall and jump into neighbours house to ransack the garbage

actually sharekhan , my milkman always ran the bell and insisted i take the milk because lots of cats in my area and they just puncture it and drink it up

No matter what it is: man, nature, or beast should be pin pointed. What about menace monkeys. They create a mess at my building.

Once infact, this is so typical of me:
I was cleaning my computer outside in the balcony. Then went inside to my main sleeping room, and left the door open between the balcony and drawing room. After a while I hear noises from the drawing room. Two monkey had arrived. When I tried to chase them, they charged me.....! Luckily there was a door in between, and I slammed that shut. They were still in my drawing room. Then I threw some water at them, they left. Damn..!

Best would be to attach a USB camera, and keep a vigil from the time when the milk is delivererd + 2-3 hours. Catch the culprit.

Yeah, I am thinking along the lines of a hidden camera. All for now, I don't think its any animal ( monkeys or cats or dogs really )

I suspect its some jealous neighbor but then again I have my doubts. Its become so important for me to know whos behind all this.

SharekhaN said:
I suspect its some jealous neighbor but then again I have my doubts. Its become so important for me to know whos behind all this.
Do you have any security in the building, it could just be some beggar/ragpicker off the street ?

This was the main reason we stopped letting them leave it at the gate. Just go and pick it up ourselves from down the street. Suppose that might not be an option for you.

Back