android tv boxes

I am in the same dilemma. Want to get a box, but which one to get?
I bought the Mecool M8S Pro L (32GB , EU Plug, 76$)
https://m.gearbest.com/tv-box/pp_1592326.html?wid=1433363

It has Google TV OS installed and also has voice remote. Voice remote is pretty accurate with Indian accent. It detects both mine and my father's voice accurately.
Also has Widevine L1 certificate (you should be able to play Netflix in 1080p. Don't have Netflix, so can't test) Hotstar works fine.
I am using X96 box which I got for $30. It has S905X and 2GB RAM + 16GB storage. It works good and main apps I use with it are Amazon Prime, Sony LIV, HotStar and Popcorn Time. IMO, one should save by buying non-smart TV and spend on such boxes.
How did you get Amazon Prime to run on the box? Did you sideload the normal apk (which is for mobiles)?
Also any link for Popcorn Time?

How did you get Amazon Prime to run on the box? Did you sideload the normal apk (which is for mobiles)?
Also any link for Popcorn Time?

Yes sideloaded Amazon Prime APK. For Popcorn times, I got APK from their website itself.

To update, HotStar is no longer getting installed citing compatibility issues with my device - may be mobile APK v/s TV OS.

Yes sideloaded Amazon Prime APK. For Popcorn times, I got APK from their website itself.

To update, HotStar is no longer getting installed citing compatibility issues with my device - may be mobile APK v/s TV OS.
Normal mobile Amazon Prime Video apk works fine on TV box?
You can get Hotstar from Play Store itself.

Normal mobile Amazon Prime Video apk works fine on TV box?
You can get Hotstar from Play Store itself.

I am not 100% sure which APK it is for Amazon Prime. If it is a mobile one or TV OS.

HotStar gives me that warning in PlayStore itself :D Since nothing that interests me is being streamed on HotStar, I have not bothered to make efforts to make it work.

I am not 100% sure which APK it is for Amazon Prime. If it is a mobile one or TV OS.

HotStar gives me that warning in PlayStore itself :D Since nothing that interests me is being streamed on HotStar, I have not bothered to make efforts to make it work.
Maybe it is showing warning since your box has normal Android OS instead of the TV version of Android OS.

I will try sideloading Amazon Prime Video

The nvidia shield apk doesn't work, I mean it loads but the videos are US amazon prime only. Only some shows work like grand tour, even in that the season 1 which had cow meat doesn't work. You will also need a mouse to navigate.

The mobile versions have crappy video quality, fine for mobiles not so for large size tvs.

The mobile versions have crappy video quality, fine for mobiles not so for large size tvs.

This is why we require Intel Apollo Lake Based (or newer Gemini Lake) Intel Mini PC from GB or BG. Power Consumption is only 6 Watt. Works everything at FHD or HD.

Amazon Prime Video Andriod version gives 480p only max due to lack of DRM.

This is why we require Intel Apollo Lake Based (or newer Gemini Lake) Intel Mini PC from GB or BG. Power Consumption is only 6 Watt. Works everything at FHD or HD.

Amazon Prime Video Andriod version gives 480p only max due to lack of DRM.
Thus i already suggested Mi Box 3

Nvidia Amazon Prime works flawlessly, though not others (i can stream @ 1080p without any issues)
Netflix works fine at any resolution even @ 4k

One can sideload other apps, Hotstar, Jio TV & many more

Nvidia Amazon Prime works flawlessly, though not others (i can stream @ 1080p without any issues)

One can sideload other apps, Hotstar, Jio TV & many more
Do you have the apk for Amazon Prime Video (nVidia Shield version) ?

Has anybody tried Airtel Internet TV?
https://www.airtel.in/internet-tv/
I have no problems here has both netflix and amazon work.It also has USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 port.
The catch is that you have to subscribe to their infinity pack to get set top box to work all features, including the apps.[DOUBLEPOST=1526631435][/DOUBLEPOST]
Version of Amazon Prime APK installed on my Android Box does 1080p. May be its modified APK. I can upload it to GDrive for anyone who needs it.
please upload it.

Last edited:

That apk file doesn't give 1080p amazon video, I doubt the video is even 720p since I get black bars on the left/right and top/bottom in my Mibox International version,

That apk file doesn't give 1080p amazon video, I doubt the video is even 720p since I get black bars on the left/right and top/bottom in my Mibox International version,
I was unable to make it run on my Mecool box. It fails everytime I try to play a vodeo. It says "Encountered some issue with video. Try after some time"
Maybe there is some issue with DRM. My box has Widevine L1 support.

I’ve mi box 3 international version and don’t face any said issue. It runs fine with 1080p resolution

Back