Video Animax dropped by TataSky

6pack

ex-Mod
Animax - the only worthwhile anime channel for teens and older people like me, has been dropped by Tata Sky. :mad:

Wonder what the reason was.

Seems like I'll have to shift service providers for one channel now. That leaves me with only Dish (which i have and which sucks in quality and customer service), Airtel, Reliance, and videocon. And i dont want to shift to either of these providers.

zetsubou desu! :(

Saw today morning the channel wasn't there,gonna miss yu yu hakusho and inuyasha etc..these were the few animes which had real juice.is it going to be available in paid packs?

nopes. they have replaced it with Sony Mix or something. Seems they have dropped it due to very less viewers. I was mainly watching Yu Yu hakusho since its been dubbed well by Animax compared to Funimation dub. Sad that the channel's gone now.

sad day for anime fans who are in minority here.

Well its only off Tata Sky not totally off , so not really that bad :p I haven't watched this channel for more than 10 years so won't miss it anyway but owe it thanks for getting me hooked onto anime

Something always happens to animax,for animax i switched from cable to dth service like tata sky,now i am pissed:mad:

tata sky has no tp space left so there only option is to replace one channel with other, as they cannot increase number of channels because of tp crunch which will only be resolved by next year when isro launches new sat.

right now tata sky has least number of channel among all dth providers,and if they dont resolve this issue consider gameover for tatasky.

tata sky has now slipped to no.3 position because it is losing customer at very fast rate,while airtel and videocon have gained many new customers.

thegatekeeper said:
Something always happens to animax,for animax i switched from cable to dth service like tata sky,now i am pissed:mad:

Same here I switched to Tata Sky when the local operator replaced Animax with News X and now this happens.

I just found out that the channel is missing, got up early to watch Yu Yu Hakusho. What a way to start the Sunday.

Tata Sky could have removed all 3 Disney Channels including Hungama (How many times will they repeat Shin Chan's pathetic movies and Power Rangers). India TV is another great channel that can be sacrificed.

Update:
Posted a complaint with Tata Sky. Also noted on their site that in Kids section animax is not there but CBeebies still is.

I doubt they're having transponder space problem. From yesterday, Nick and BBC Cbeebies has shown up. Previously these were not there in my channel lists.

Even that Sony Mix (a hindi music channel) seems new to me.

Plus Rajya Sabha tv. If Lok Sabha was not enough to get daily dose of ministers fighting and shouting, i guess.

Cbeebies has been there for a while. No idea about Rajya Sabha Tv.

I don't watch a lot of TV and am very robotic. I have a list of Channels rather shows that I watch.

Ever since I got a Tata sky connection my default actions have been: Power button> 6 > 1 > 1

In the morning I hit the fav button and hoped it would show animax which was added as channel 901 in favorites. Wasn't really thinking at that time. Googled for Tata Sky Animax and this thread was the first result.

Animax is famous for their dubs and some other channels which are mentioned above should have been removed,hell it would be better if cartoon network's removed,they show shit these days.

This is the reply I got for the complaint I had filed in the morning.

Dear X Y,
We would like to inform you that with effect from 01/10/2011, we are not airing Animax channel.

Thank you for your patronage. Your feedback is very valuable & this letter addresses the point you have raised.
Our large national audience is bound to have diverse viewing patterns because it is 5 million strong, you can imagine that tastes and preferences differ across the country! And our endeavor is to satisfy people in every part of India.
At launch, Tata Sky offered just 60 channels, but in the last 3 years, that count has gone up to thrice as much. Today, Tata Sky offers 191 channels & services - each one of these channels has been picked based on its viewership & popularity. Unique interactive services have been specially designed for your whole family.
High Definition (HD) TV is the current technology wave in the TV industry today. This digital broadcasting system with higher resolution and enhanced picture and sound quality in comparison to a regular television service also consumes more bandwidth. Tata Sky has over the period of a year launched 7 asli HD (shot and broadcast in HD) channels, in keeping with today s viewing patterns.
We have tried to ensure that we have an offering for every region & every language but we also are limited by bandwidth availability. Over time, our endeavor will be to try & reintroduce all the channels that you would like to watch.
Our sincere apologies for any inconvenience we may have caused you.

Thank you once again for your feedback and we look forward to your continued patronage.

I don't know what trend or technology wave she is talking about. A lot of people including myself don't want to opt for HD channels yet (don't want to watch upscaled contents) so it doesn't matter what the TV industry does or think.

Ironically she uses the term technology in one paragraph and talks about limited bandwidth in the other paragraph.

Good to know I have 60 x 3 channels - South Indian Channels but not the channel I want to watch.

Never knew animax was an unpopular channel; almost all of my relatives kids watch it and even I used to watch it in 8-9 years back. I thought it was the most popular kids channel after CN.

I got the same canned answer as Prabs.

Dear Mr. ...............,

We would like to inform you that with effect from 30 September 2011, we are not airing Animax Channel.

We have replaced Animax with Sony Mix effective 1 Oct 2011. In addition we have also added CBeebies, a very popular kids channel, to all packs that earlier offered Animax.

Our large national audience is bound to have diverse viewing patterns because it is 5 million strong, you can imagine that tastes and preferences differ across the country! And our endeavor is to satisfy people in every part of India.

At launch, Tata Sky offered just 60 channels, but in the last 3 years, that count has gone up to thrice as much. Today, Tata Sky offers 191 channels & services - each one of these channels has been picked based on its viewership & popularity. Unique interactive services have been specially designed for your whole family.

High Definition (HD) TV is the current technology wave in the TV industry today. This digital broadcasting system with higher resolution and enhanced picture and sound quality in comparison to a regular television service also consumes more bandwidth. Tata Sky has over the period of a year launched 7 asli HD (shot and broadcast in HD) channels, in keeping with todays viewing patterns.

We have tried to ensure that we have an offering for every region & every language but we also are limited by bandwidth availability. Over time, our endeavor will be to try & reintroduce all the channels that you would like to watch.

Our sincere apologies for any inconvenience we may have caused you.

Thank you once again for your feedback and we look forward to your continued patronage.

I wonder if Sony Mix consume less bandwidth than Animax. I mean replacing one channel with another and then claiming to be out of bandwidth makes no sense.

Sony Mix is for totally different audience than Animax. There was just 1 anime channel compared to the dozen or so hindi music channels already present on TataSky.

People aren't going to be sad if they get one music channel less.

Their endeavor is to satisfy people in every part of India except anime lovers. This is bs.

Why don't you guys reply to the email with these points? Also give them a hint saying that this really is a big inconvenience and you might think of reconsidering your DTH provider. People in customer service, even big managers, never wanna be the reason for the customer leaving, they're trained that way. So they'll do everything they can to retain customers.

^ I already replied to them. WIll post what I replied as well as what reply I might get considering they dont bother about loosing customers.

Edit: The only reason I'm not posting what i mailed to them is i dont want them to know which customer i am.

I am not sure a handful of anime fans asking them to restore a channel or prepare to watch them switch will work.

Reason - Airtel started FUP, a lot of people protested and threatened to leave some left as well but was FUP removed? No, infact some of the others ISPs adopted it as well. MTNL Delhi has a few FUP plans and MTNL was initially considered to be a safe haven.

Truth be told this is a petty issue (even though I feel gutted) but the fact remains that -

A service provider entices you to subscribe to their service. Once you have subscribed to their service, the norms are changed without any notification. You find out about it eventually file complaints, threaten to leave but the service is not restored. You look for alternatives and then you find a service provider who promises you the moon. Go back to start of this paragraph.

I will obviously reply to the mail but I don't expect it to do miracles.

Back