Video Animax dropped by TataSky

I don't think Animax will be restored , i love those animes :(, TS is really struggling with space issue and unable to add new channel due to lack of space,

I don't know how many DTH services apart from Videocon show Animax but from 12th June 2012 Animax won't be aired on Videocon.

I hope at some point the channel does come back.

Only Cable providing Animax.
May be be they will also stop soon or later. :(
Internet is gonna be the only way for Anime Fans of India.
Wish we got Japanese Anime channels in India.

Apparently the channel has been back for nearly a month. I found out about it when I was renewing my package and saw Animax listed.

The song that immediately started playing in my head is from Yamato Takeru. I know that series was shown on AXN back in late 90s early 2000s but that's what played in my head.

Tata Sky - Channel 630

Welcome back old friend :relaxed:

Well looks like Animax has been taken off air again and this time I don't think it will come back. Sony has replaced it with a stupid brain dead channel called Sony Yay.

This time though I won't miss Animax much because I barely get any time to watch TV let alone Animax. Also there was this weird scanline sort of effect in some shows. The recent shows on the channel were not as great as earlier. I do feel bad for anyone who was watching the channel and especially those left on a cliff hanger.

Mostly I feel bad for the younger generation who will now be reduced to watching garbage.

R.I.P. Animax India and Thank You for shows like - Get Backers, Ninku, Yu Yu Hakusho, Samurai X, Cowboy Bebop etc alongwith original 2000s AXN for shows like You're Under Arrest, Ninku :p, Yamato Takeru etc.

Sad day for Anime Fans in India.

Just saw this on some news site:
Code:
Sony Pictures Networks India is to launch children’s entertainment channel Sony Yay! in place of its current Animax network.
Targeted at the 2-14 age group, the new channel will be available in Hindi, Tamil and Telugu languages across direct-to-home (DTH) and digital cable platforms. It will launch April 18.
Programming includes four locally produced animated shows: musical comedy “Guru Aur Bhole,” pet comedy “Sab Jholmaal Hai,” fantasy drama “Prince Jai Aur Dumdaar Viru,” and ghost comedy “Paap-O-Meter.”

Content from Animax, predominantly Japanese anime, will move to Sony Liv, a digital VoD platform that launches at the same time as Yay!
I think I know why they did this. Probably cause majority of kids like toons like chotta bheem etc and don't understand japanese anime. So anime has become niche market here and has been put on the VoD system.

Sony Liv app runs on android boxes/phones etc and has really good streaming quality. The prices are okay though. Compared to Amazon they do look costly. So now we have Amazon and Sony having some very small amount of anime on demand. Not bad imo. something is better than nothing, especially since amazon has some shows (like Kuzu no honkai, Battery etc) that is released here within a week after japanese broadcast.

Searched the SonyLiv site and no sign of any anime. LivKids section has come with the same crap shown on tv. So at present only Amazon has anime now. :(

Last edited:
I don't know why anyone will subscribe to Sony Liv VoD for Anime when there are sites like Crunchy Roll. I am talking about legit sources atm.

Of course if Sony Liv contains the complete catalog of every anime that Animax and AXN ever showed then things become a bit interesting but only for Ninku and Yu Yu Hakusho. Ninku doesn't have a complete subbed or dubbed set and the one from AXN/Animax is fantastic. Yu Yu Hakusho exists in both formats but the best format is the one from played on Animax. The other dub I heard is absolutely annoying especially when you hear Koenma.

Even if they are on it, it is hard to justify paying for so many sources. I am already paying for Tata Sky and Amazon Prime. Crunchy Roll, Sony Liv, Netflix etc feel like unwanted expenses.

Edit: Just checked out Sony Liv's website. The shows listed is absolute crap. Is it different for premium members? Doesn't look like it. Here's what their site says about Premium Membership Content -

Now watch all our premium content:
Live TVChannels
Blockbuster bollywood, hollywood, regional movies
LIVFIT- Workout videos and much more.

I am not sure Anime is part of much more at the moment and looking at how current their tv show list I don't think classic anime I mentioned earlier will be a part of it even if they do introduce Anime on it.

Last edited:
I use the free service and it is accessible. The content is same and not location wise. The free version of course has a lot of ads.

You can try the 1 month trial for free which will give you premium access. I haven't tried that yet. Saving the free month for later :D

Back