Another AC buying thread-- need a Split AC for around 20-40k

Summer is approaching and i desperately need an air conditioner for a medium sized room. I am looking for a split AC.

To be honest i have never used one and don't have any clue which one to get??What all features should i look for in an AC before buying?? I have seen many ACs that do a bad job at cooling.So which AC offers the maximum cooling??
Would a 1.5 tonne offer enough cooling for a medium sized room or do i need a 2.5 tonne AC??

So kindly suggest a split AC for a price of 20-40k based on my foll. req.:-
1)should offer good cooling.
2) Don't wanna get those huge electricity bills.
I would have bought a cooler instead of an AC but since i keep my computer in the room i don't wanna take any chances.

Electrolux EA18SCRXW3/WH for 20k

or,

Hitachi RAU018ELD for 40k

I use the Electrolux EA18SCRXW3/WH & have used a Hitachi Window AC in the past & both brands cool fast, have great after sale service & make great AC's

the plus point of Electrolux is that it gives 6 years warranty whereas Hitachi gives 3 years warranty

though even i dont have much knowledge..but sometimes nbak i was seeing on cnbc..and they were reviewing 4-5 acs......and the final best result came out as electrolux.....

u can also check compareindia.com

general AC's are quite good, then would come hitachi and daikin....as he said, they r more expensive but then we dont change our AC with every comp upgrade , do we :p

Stick said:
^^ Do you really trust those channels (commercial channels).

well not all but cnbc awaz i do....
most of there stuffs recommended are good......and they are almost recommended by people who work on there sister tech site.......

Okay so most here are recommending General or hitachi's AC.Which model should i go for and what's the price?? Give me a weblink if possible.

Just came across this :-

Using the formula given below your can get the tonnage of AC required to cool your room:

Area of Room Sq Ft divided by 600

+ 0.5 Ton for every 10 people occupying the room at the same time

+ 0.5 for every 1500 watts appliances and lighting present in the room

India's shopping & price comparison site, consumer buying guide - Compareindia

arrow055 said:
Okay so most here are recommending General or hitachi's AC.Which model should i go for and what's the price?? Give me a weblink if possible.

If the above formula is right than for my 300sq room, 0.5 TN AC is more than sufficient:)

Any one can confirm the formula, is it the right way to calculate AC TN requirments.

Udit said:
Electrolux EA18SCRXW3/WH for 20k

or,

Hitachi RAU018ELD for 40k

Ofcourse Hitachi RAU018ELD would be better than the Electrolux model but udit can you tell me whether the hitachi model is worth the extra 20 k ?? I mean is the diff. in performance between the two that great??Does it cool that much more than electrolux??

also do features like "dehumidification function" remove moisture in the room??

arrow055 said:

Just came across this :-

India's shopping & price comparison site, consumer buying guide - Compareindia
This is totally wrong. The actual tonnage is more dependent on surface area of walls and surface temperature of wall. If a room is only 100sq ft but has its walls and celing exposed to direct sunlight then u can expect higher cooling capacity required compared to even a 200sq ft room without the walls and ceilings exposed to direct sunlight.

However for commercial installations, number of people in room comes as a factor because the water vapor released due to sweating and breathing adds up to condensing load on AC evaporator. For normal domestic usage, u can neglect this parameter.

One more thing, if u put a higher capacity AC than required then u lose comfort. Might sound funny but a higher capacity AC frequently gets cut on and off according to set temperature(24-25'C). But the humidity level shoots up the moment the compressor gets off, making u feel uncomfortable. It is always a thumb rule- DECIDE THE TONNAGE OF AC A LITTLE LOWER THAN THE MAXIMUM CALCULATED( HEAT+HUMIDITY). This gives maximum comfort and minimum electricity consumption.

For the brand of, get O-General if on budget. Otherwise if u want to spend more get Daikin VRV systems. It actually varies the tonnage of AC according to temperature set inside the rooms so that the compressor never cuts off. Hence u get the maximum comfort.

Hope this helps a bit.

^^ Thx a ton dude.repped you.I am in gujarat right now.There is not much humidity here but it gets very very hot in summer.my room is ard. 350 sq. feet and is exposed to sunlight. So what should be the ideal tonnage of AC?? 1, 1.5 tonne??

TE_addict said:
This is totally wrong. The actual tonnage is more dependent on surface area of walls and surface temperature of wall. If a room is only 100sq ft but has its walls and celing exposed to direct sunlight then u can expect higher cooling capacity required compared to even a 200sq ft room without the walls and ceilings exposed to direct sunlight.

However for commercial installations, number of people in room comes as a factor because the water vapor released due to sweating and breathing adds up to condensing load on AC evaporator. For normal domestic usage, u can neglect this parameter.

One more thing, if u put a higher capacity AC than required then u lose comfort. Might sound funny but a higher capacity AC frequently gets cut on and off according to set temperature(24-25'C). But the humidity level shoots up the moment the compressor gets off, making u feel uncomfortable. It is always a thumb rule- DECIDE THE TONNAGE OF AC A LITTLE LOWER THAN THE MAXIMUM CALCULATED( HEAT+HUMIDITY). This gives maximum comfort and minimum electricity consumption.

For the brand of, get O-General if on budget. Otherwise if u want to spend more get Daikin VRV systems. It actually varies the tonnage of AC according to temperature set inside the rooms so that the compressor never cuts off. Hence u get the maximum comfort.

Hope this helps a bit.

the quote in red is in opposite to what i used to believe till today, what i have been told always is that you install an AC just .25 tonne more than what your room measurements require. It may help in electricity consumption.

Right now i have
ONe electrolux Split 1.5 tonne and Two Frizair window 1.5 tonnes ACs installed.

i am satisfied by their services over the period of last 5 years.

I am getting installed two 1.5 tonnes one, and one 1.0 tonnne ACs next week infact the work is on right now for installing tubing and electrification modification.

I have selected Onida this time around because it has highest rated BTU compared to all the other models in market.

If you need the best go for O-general, Daikin (they do have reciprocating compressors in their split models) which are quiter, better cooling, long term satisfaction. Hitachis also fall just a tag below ( they have recently introduced a new product line ranging from 30-40ks)

these three brands retail upwards of 40 k plus installation charges.

If you are on a budget

You got Electrolux / Onida / Whirpool to choose from almost same on parameters with slight variations here and there. almost simillar pricing. 20-25 k for 1.5 tonnes.

You must avoid korean brands LG / Samsung and also chinese brands like TCL.

hope this helps.

arrow055 said:
^^ Thx a ton dude.repped you.I am in gujarat right now.There is not much humidity here but it gets very very hot in summer.my room is ard. 350 sq. feet and is exposed to sunlight. So what should be the ideal tonnage of AC?? 1, 1.5 tonne??
i am in surat pal,

which city you are in? any where in saurashtra, and northwards of vadodara you need 1.5 tonne as temperatures are likely to saor this time around upwards of 45 degrees.

here it touched 42.2 yesterday and today is not better either, surat is not known to be so much hot, but this time it is taking an ugly turn.

arrow055 said:

Can u tell me the no. of walls that directly face sunlight. Also if ceiling gets direct sunlight or not. Also approx area of glass windows if possible. I will get the required tonnage calculated. Give the room dimensions also.

For high ambient temperature(>47-48'C), get the AC with RECIPROCATING COMPRESSOR. Rotary best for lower ambient/high humidity.

I live in baroda(vadodara).My ceiling doesn't get much sunlight but one of walls does.Sorry i don't really know the area of glass windows.All i know is that it's a 400*330(approx.) room.Also i have a tv and a computer in my room( i don't know if that's important or not)So pls. tell me the req. tonnage .Also tell me how to calculate the same.

And finally suggest a few good ACs(pls give model no. if possible) based on the above info.

arrow055 said:
I live in baroda(vadodara).My ceiling doesn't get much sunlight but one of walls does.Sorry i don't really know the area of glass windows.All i know is that it's a 400*330(approx.) room.Also i have a tv and a computer in my room( i don't know if that's important or not)So pls. tell me the req. tonnage .Also tell me how to calculate the same.
And finally suggest a few good ACs(pls give model no. if possible) based on the above info.
I could not get the units for 400*330( can't be inches, ft or mt). If i assume it to be 4mt*3.3mt then area comes around 150sqft. Please confirm

So taking 350sqft area, u should go for atleast 2 ton AC with Reciprocating compressor.

Get the O-General 2 ton(dont know model no.) with Reciprocating compressor. If u go for a locally assembeled system, u can save a lot of money even after using the best of the components. The locally assembeled system can take on O-general easily in cooling performance but the noise of the system is usually higher.

@racy1- Scroll avaliable in blue star models with capacity greater than 3 tons. Blows away both Reciprocating and rotary in every aspect.

Back