Any aquarists here?

no plants ??? no plastic trays to hold poop down? . i am sorry i dont think your frnd is very much interested in aquarium and hes just doing it for some time pass :p

bumping for URGENT help

my aquarium's internal pump/filter has stopped working since Friday.

I want to buy a new filter now, want to go for a model in which we can adjust water flow rate.

i went to Bangalore on friday itself, but couldn't find Boyu fountain type filter, at Shivaji Nagar - Russel market.

Please advice where to buy such filter at b'lore, i'm going there tomorrow again.

want to buy something like this-
bigboyupowerfilterinter.jpg

boyusp101uaaquariuminte.jpg

aquarium details
L=36", W=18, H=22

Fishes = 3 Tiger barbs & a PLECO (sucker cat)

Just got a couple of pairs of pearl gouramis(though, all badly beaten up with fins torn off). Put them in a tank with gravel and water hyssop. Hopefully, they will survive for a while :D

chiron said:
Just got a couple of pairs of pearl gouramis(though, all badly beaten up with fins torn off). Put them in a tank with gravel and water hyssop. Hopefully, they will survive for a while :D
Man, I had a pair of these for more than an year..finally gave them to friend. These are really tough :)

I saw this thread today, can't believe I didn't see this one all these days!!

Here are my fish tanks:

Tank A - 4 Foot Barb Home:

Capacity: 120 Gallons (US) - (454 Litres)

Size: 48" (L) X 24" (W) X 24" (H)

Type: Freshwater

Fishes: Tiger Barbs, Albino Barbs, Sunset Platies, Zebra Danio's

Substrate: River Sand (sieved and cleaned)

Decor: Rocks + Large Rocks + Driftwood (being seasoned)

Filtration: 1 X Dolphin C-1300 Canister Filter @ 1000 L/H + 1 X Sobo Top Filter@ 2500 L/H

Thermostat: 2 X 200 Watts Sobo Fully Submersible Thermostat (26 C)

Aeration and water movement: Pump + Resun Power-head

JUN Power-head + 85 feet pipe for dumping water to my house back-yard

Lighting: 1 X 13 Watts PL + 1 X 2 feet Philips 6500K (20 Watts) White Tube - 12 hours

Tank B: Dark Water:

Capacity: 30 Gallons (US) - (114 litres)

Size: 24" (L) X 15" (W) X 16" (W)

Type: Freshwater (Tannins)

Fishes: Common Pleco's, Yellow Lab Cichlids

Substrate: River Sand (sieved and cleaned)

Decor: Rocks + Driftwood leeching tannins

Filtration: 1 X Top Filter @ 1200 L/H + 1 X Resun Internal Power Filter @ 1200 L/H + 1 X Large Sponge Filter

Thermostat: 1 X 150 Watts Sobo Thermostat (28 C)

Lighting: Ambient

Tank C: Siamese Betta Home

Capacity: 18 Gallons (US) - (68 Litres)

Size: 24" (L) X 12" (W) X 15" (H)

Type: Freshwater

Fish: Violet Betta Male Veil Tail

Substrate: Crushed Stone Mix

Decor: Rock Caves + Driftwood + Artificial Plant

Filtration: 1 X Dolphin h-300 HOB Filter

Thermostat: 1 X Sobo 100 Watts (28 C)

Lighting: 13 Watts PL - 12 hours

Those are all of my tanks. The 30 gallon Dark Water tank will be upgraded soon to a 3 footer Malawi Cichlid and Pleco tank. Hope you guys like my fish tanks. I love fish keeping :)

Regards,

Souptik

^^^ Wow... Ur Betta is one lucky dog...!! :p

I had a betta once when I was in school. I was stupid enough to keep him in a bowl. He lived for around a year. :(

I would love to keep another betta though...

And to you... Great work man... Keep up... :D

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

BTW, my pets now include only Dogs and my Lucky Bamboo...

:p

Thanks Nehal :)

Yeah, I found the Betta in a rather poor dismal condition in a local LFS. He was covered with white spots (ich) all over his body and had almost lost all of his tail. I got it, brought it back home and treated it with salt and kept it in warm water in a small 5 gallon quarantine tank. After quite sometime it showed signs of improvement and now almost 95% of it's tails has grown back and it's found a nice large warm home in that 18 gallon tank. That's one happy Betta fish now! :D

nice collection:)

@black_hawk, i think the Cichlids will be happier in the bigger tank ;) , bigger area = lesser disputes :p
& is it okay to keep the heater in vertical position?, coz i've placed mine horizontal.

@ Haddock!

I will transfer the Yellow Lab juvies and the Pleco's to a bigger 3 footer (47 gallon) gallon mostly next week. I will also add a few more Malawi Cichlids with a lot more rocks to that tank once it is cycled fully.

About the heaters, the fully submersible one's can be placed vertically or horizontally and they work equally well in both cases. Just keep the bottom of the heater clear of the tank's substrate. It should be fine then. Also, keep the heater near the outlet of your tank's filter as it helps in heat distribution uniformly throughout the tank. Happy Fish Keeping mate! :)

Black_Hawk said:
Thanks Nehal :)

Yeah, I found the Betta in a rather poor dismal condition in a local LFS. He was covered with white spots (ich) all over his body and had almost lost all of his tail. I got it, brought it back home and treated it with salt and kept it in warm water in a small 5 gallon quarantine tank. After quite sometime it showed signs of improvement and now almost 95% of it's tails has grown back and it's found a nice large warm home in that 18 gallon tank. That's one happy Betta fish now! :D
Yup... It surely must be happy to have such a caring friend in you...

BTW, how much did the entire Betta setup cost you?? And what do u think is the minimum tank size required for a betta to be happy??

I somehow feel like *rescuing* a betta from my local pet store after seeing your great betta setup.

Bettas are the most abused fish globally I guess... Maybe the goldfishes as well but bettas for sure...
:mad:

Hi Nehal,

The entire Betta setup was made for around 1.2K in total. The 120 gallon tank setup is another story altogether and has gone way beyond the 10k mark and it's still not complete!

Betta's usually prefer warm water. They do not like lots of water movement in the tank. So I keep my HOB filter in low flow-rate mode always. This helps the Betta to swim easily and also does not hinder it's bubble nest. I would say a 5 gallon tank is good for a Betta. It'll be happy in it. Feel free to PM me anytime about any questions about fish keeping, I would be glad to help you out. :)

^^ Thanx... :)

BTW, ur betta tank is 18 gallons right?? Any idea how big a 5 gallon tank would be... I mean the approx dimensions if I want a rectangular tank.

Thanx again...

@ Nehal:

Yes mate, my Betta tank is 18 gallons (68 litres). A regular 5 gallon tank would have dimensions of: 16" (L) X 8" (W) X 10" (H). :)

@ archat68:

Yes, I know and have been a member on IAH since long now.

Hi

Unrelated question.

If I were looking to make a massive aquarium tank, say in the middle of a mall, what would it take?

Think 16' front and about 9-10' high, and 3-4 feet from front to back..

cranky said:
Hi

Unrelated question.

If I were looking to make a massive aquarium tank, say in the middle of a mall, what would it take?

Think 16' front and about 9-10' high, and 3-4 feet from front to back..

Hello Cranky!

I think in the middle of a mall they would have something like a 12 footer. The largest I have seen in a house is a 6 footer, 180 gallon tank which weighs over 1,000 kg's. 6 footer tanks can be made with 12mm glass and anything above that would be made with 19mm glass. The main worrying factors of building a large tank that jave always concerned me are:

1. The proper engineering in building the tank. The person making the tank should have very very solid knowledge of where to put proper braces in the large tank. Mistakes might lead to life risking glass shards all over, not to mention a lot of wet ground.
2. Cycling the tank well.
3. Adequate filtration of the tank.

Once the above factors are taken care of, things will be good. :)

Thanks for that insight, that's really helpful.

You got the dimensions right.

I'm looking for any more insights you can give me on the challenges I would face.

I am not planning on putting fish in it. I am simulating a swimming pool, into which an audience can see. So the water needs to be clear, but not necessarily fit for consumption or a living habitat. Also the challenges of keeping water clean enough for good visibility, lighting, waterproofing and strength.

I have a logistics challenge of transporting water into the location, but that's something I'm going to think about later.

Thanks for that.

Back