Any Chartered Financial Analyst?

First of all the link - https://www.cfainstitute.org/pages/index.aspx

You can get all the details here

1]afaik you have to be a graduate or a provisional graduate in order to appear for CFA entry level

2]The fees are quite high as compared to CA

3]There are 3 levels and the first level has only MCQ's

4]Every level has a fees of around 1000$

5]In case you fail in any level [i pray u dont] then you will have to pay another 1000$ and not only exam fees

6]You might be knowing that CFA is a global degree
Good to see a CA student on TE

feel free to clear your doubts

Course of Study
CFA Exams
Enroll & Register

swastikrj said:
There are 3 levels and the first level has only MCQ's

What? Level 2 and 3 are not MCQs? You have to write down the answer? :(

BTW, is the certification for life? Or do you have to reappear after every x years?

letmein said:
What? Level 2 and 3 are not MCQs? You have to write down the answer? :(
BTW, is the certification for life? Or do you have to reappear after every x years?

Exam Format

The Level I exam consists of multiple choice questions and is offered in June and December.

The Level II exam is composed of item set questions and is offered in June only..

The Level III exam consists of item set and essay questions and is offered in June only.

Ofcourse this is a certification for life :)

You dont need to reappear after every x years

I seriously considered doing CFA while ago, but all in vain. Not able to cope up with my Internship and studies. I am doing CA as well as CS now. This is not to demotivate you. But CFA involves lots of Maths(Which is not in my thoughts too) and plus its harder than CA. You may consider it if you are planning your career abroad and intended towards Investment Banking, Portfolio Management, Securities etc. I guess there was clash among ICAI and CFA programs in India while ago. But now SC has ordered to Conduct exams in India and Centres are limited to Metros alone I guess. I think this should help you more

http://www.careerage.com/resources/career_choices/finance/CFA.shtml

@Swastikrj- Which level are you in CA?

Ok great. I need some more info about CA/CS vs CFA now since I am confused now. I will complete my MBA in Feb 2012 with finance majors. I am basically interested in consolidation and reporting of financial statements/treasury management/corporate finance, which of these courses is better suited for me? I am good with accounting and financial statement analysis, find it quite intriguing.

avinash4 said:
I seriously considered doing CFA while ago, but all in vain. Not able to cope up with my Internship and studies. I am doing CA as well as CS now. This is not to demotivate you. But CFA involves lots of Maths(Which is not in my thoughts too) and plus its harder than CA. You may consider it if you are planning your career abroad and intended towards Investment Banking, Portfolio Management, Securities etc. I guess there was clash among ICAI and CFA programs in India while ago. But now SC has ordered to Conduct exams in India and Centres are limited to Metros alone I guess. I think this should help you more

CareerAge.com - Career in Chartered Financial Analyst

@Swastikrj- Which level are you in CA?

Sorry mate but from what i have heard is CFA is a complete conceptual degree and CA is not.Also i have heard that CFA is more easy

Maybe it depends on individual thinking or i am too small to understand that

CFA is more about concept understanding and applying whereas CA is only 50% concept based

And yeah the exam centres for CFA are limited to metros currently

btw i am giving my IPCC after 4days i.e 2nd Nov [first attempt and hopefully last] :) and also i will be giving my CS EXECUTIVE in june 2012 :)

Aphro_EVO said:
Ok great. I need some more info about CA/CS vs CFA now since I am confused now. I will complete my MBA in Feb 2012 with finance majors. I am basically interested in consolidation and reporting of financial statements/treasury management/corporate finance, which of these courses is better suited for me? I am good with accounting and financial statement analysis, find it quite intriguing.

Hmm i guess CS is not for you it has the least of what you like

As you said that you will be competing MBA finance in feb 2012,CFA would help you more than a CA degree

note- i have no corporate experience as i am yet to start my articleship :p

^ All the very best for your exams. Its worth all the pain if you crack it on the first attempt.

@OP- I guess if you are ready to give 4 more years of career, I would recommend you to go ahead with CA. If not go ahead with CFA. Need to speak to few friends. Will lighten you more about it tomo.

Sorry mate but from what i have heard is CFA is a complete conceptual degree and CA is not.Also i have heard that CFA is more easy

CFA portion is largely finance based, whereas CA is concentrated in a/c. But yes CA is far more tougher, simply because of cut throat competition, in addition in India CA has far more value then a CFA.

I've got plenty of them in my hostel. apparently CFA level 1 is easy, but 2 and 3 are progressively harder. most of them fin buggers are shacked up in their rooms preparing for the CFA exams instead of chilling or partying like us mark/sys folks :mad:

NCFM is another alternative if you're just gonna do the first level

I feel CA and CFA are different in the sense.

If you want to work in finance field and that too in US market(abroad) than CFA is the line to go with.

Whereas CA is totally different field which depends what the person have to go for in life taxing,auditing and all with respect to practicing or working in INDIA.Also thew overall CA course can be completed in 50k total amount for all the period in 1st attempt whereas each paper of cfa costs a bomb.

Btw i had heard CFA from US is more tougher than the Indian CFA.

Btw i had heard CFA from US is more tougher than the Indian CFA.

Those ICFAI people have just ruined educational opportunities for Indian students. The Indian CFA course is very Indian, I mean you need to write essay like answers etc. In addition the course has absolute no value in the market place, at my organization its treated at par with graduate courses (pay wise).

A lot of colleagues who are CA's have completed their CFA, but are yet to see a professional advantage. I would say if you are a CA, and if you yet want to increase credentials, aim for IIM's and nothing less.

Aces170 said:
I would say if you are a CA, and if you yet want to increase credentials, aim for IIM's and nothing less.

Hmm so Ifcai ruined cfa here.

Regarding IIM for CA..I guess being a CA is also more powerful rather than going for MBA.I feel Ca who go for MBA are not strong enough to know the power they hold.

With little polishing in the industry even without MBA also they can command the best.

But getting a MBA from IIM has more advantage regarding your package and career growth. One of my friend has completed his B.Sc (Computer Science) and did his MBA from IIM-A. Now he stands at Highest level Management in Big MNC. He is just 26 now.
Yes, I definately agree with ICFAI spoiling the level of CFA in India. But my friends are doing CFA from US in India. As I have mentioned in my earlier posts that SC has ordered CFA Institute to conduct CFA exams in India but restricted to Metros.

avinash4 said:
But getting a MBA from IIM has more advantage regarding your package and career growth. One of my friend has completed his B.Sc (Computer Science) and did his MBA from IIM-A. Now he stands at Highest level Management in Big MNC. He is just 26 now.

No doubt having an IIM tag on your name can command the best.

But with my meaning was once one is a CA he should know where he stands or what way he can command the best.

In our building there is a chap who have been a Ca from 1999 i guess.He came late last year.And i just came to know he is the personal Ca to many bollywood celebs like of saif ali khan and daboo ratnani.Also he just bought 5 flats(whole floor) in our neighboring society in such short period of time.

One should know where can one get milk from else every degree is of no use.

I still feel only a CA tag is strong enough that green paper can start sticking to you if you really did understand the concept and just not cleared the papers for the self of clearing.

if you dont have a fin background or stellar (at least top 10) fin grades in the MBA course, even a top MBA institute by itself cannot get you into a fin job(at least not right now). Yes you will get into a decent management level job, but not necessarily a fin one. A few exceptions are there, but the average guy cannot :)

at best you can get into an account management/partially marketing profile at a bank or similar institution, but you're not gonna become an investment banker :p

Back