Linux Any precautions to take before installing Ubuntu over Windows 8 64-bit?

kvikram

Skilled
I thought installing Ubuntu was simple, but my friend who recently installed Ubuntu on his Dell laptop ran into a lot of problems with his files, many getting deleted and inaccessible if written to by both operating systems.

After doing some research, it only seems that the problem could only have arisen from the secure boot feature in UEFI, or the fast startup feature in Windows 8.

But since I run BIOS and not UEFI, and have disabled the fast startup, I assume that I shouldn't run into any problems. So, I'm planning to install Ubuntu the "normal" way alongside Windows 8, instead of doing everything manually via the "something else" option.

Also, I happen to be installing Ubuntu on an SSD along with Windows 8, and there is another 1 TB hard drive full of data that I intend to access from both operating systems.

Will I run into any problems? Any precautions to take?

Remove the 1TB out and do the install and then pop it back in.

AFAIK, the only issues is the UEFI - which you seem to have taken care of. I too need to install Ububtu + ChromiumOS alongside W8 - but the 300GB of data that I would need to move + laptop being in warranty (plan to pop a SSD) is the headache!

Back