Anybody using LED Grow Lights?

Hi,

Anybody using LED Grow Lights here or know of any forums that deals with Hydroponics and Indoor plant growing?

Thanks,
Srikanth

What a coincidence. I just ordered two grow lights on Aliexpress! Will take some time to see the results

WoW!! Link Please. I saw some grow lights (50W) on amazon for ~1.7K. Not really sure how it will work though the reviews are positive I do not think anybody really used them for even one crop cycle.

These are the ones that I ordered :

US $1.26 31%OFF | 80leds 220V LED Grow Lamp Full Spectrum LED Plant Growth Lamp Indoor Lighting Grow Lights Plants Vegs Hydroponic System Grow Box

US $4.05 | E27 Full Spectrum 20W 30W 40W 80W 100W 150W LED Plant Grow Light Bulb Fitolampy Phyto Lamp For Indoor Garden Plants Flower

Will use them in my kitchen garden as I don't get any direct sunlight there. I used one cheap USB powered one which came free with screen guard and it does show little increase in growth in my tomato seedlings. So I hope these bigger ones will definitely help.

Use my invite code to join Aliexpress if not already joined:
Use my invite code "ING24IC1" to get US $19 in coupons. Tap to know more: https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/KCHP47R6

Since you guys are into hydroponics what is your experience with pH meters ?

I'm surprised how much care & babying is required if you want them to remain accurate and have delayed my purchase for now.

Since you guys are into hydroponics what is your experience with pH meters ?

I'm surprised how much care & babying is required if you want them to remain accurate and have delayed my purchase for now.

I am not sure what you mean by experience with pH meters. As a hobbyist the pH / EC / TDS meters are all pen type. They do need calibrating every once in a while especially the pH and EC meters. I typically only buy Hanna make.

Coming to grow lights, it does not have to be used only for hydroponics right? I intend to grow various herbs in couple of dark rooms in my house. Growing cilantro in summers is a big challenge even with shade nets etc. So, I plan on growing Cilantro, Spinach etc during summer indoors. Now, I may or may not go for Hydroponics with them. It could well be a regular pot/grow bag filled with cocopeat and regular feeding of nutrient solutions.

Within Hydroponics itself there are many simple ways of growing short term plants / herbs without worrying about pH, EC etc. The simplest method is to go for Kratky. Though your yield might be around 20 to 30 less than say DWC or NFT the simplicity of Kratky is worth the sacrifice.

I am not sure what you mean by experience with pH meters. As a hobbyist the pH / EC / TDS meters are all pen type. They do need calibrating every once in a while especially the pH and EC meters. I typically only buy Hanna make.
The bulb of a pH meter needs to be kept moist otherwise it can get damaged or accuracy can be affected. That means a monthly checkup if the pH meter is used sparingly.

You don't have to do this with EC/TDS meters.

Coming to grow lights, it does not have to be used only for hydroponics right? I intend to grow various herbs in couple of dark rooms in my house. Growing cilantro in summers is a big challenge even with shade nets etc. So, I plan on growing Cilantro, Spinach etc during summer indoors. Now, I may or may not go for Hydroponics with them. It could well be a regular pot/grow bag filled with cocopeat and regular feeding of nutrient solutions.

Within Hydroponics itself there are many simple ways of growing short term plants / herbs without worrying about pH, EC etc. The simplest method is to go for Kratky. Though your yield might be around 20 to 30 less than say DWC or NFT the simplicity of Kratky is worth the sacrifice.

Even am planning to buy a pH meter, is the accuracy of the Hanna good enough to match with test solutions ? How often do u change the electrodes ?

Even am planning to buy a pH meter, is the accuracy of the Hanna good enough to match with test solutions ? How often do u change the electrodes ?

Hanna Pen type pH meters do not have a replaceable electrodes. They are fairly reliable for my Hydroponic usage considering that they cost around 400 - 500 only. You get a pH solution (I think the one I have is pH 7). I adjust the pH of the meter to 7 to calibrate once in a while when I think things are off. Typically I do not after every 20 to 30 readings. The calibration itself is very easy. You just need to turn the screw until it measures the known pH (7 in my case).

Hanna Pen type pH meters do not have a replaceable electrodes. They are fairly reliable for my Hydroponic usage considering that they cost around 400 - 500 only. You get a pH solution (I think the one I have is pH 7). I adjust the pH of the meter to 7 to calibrate once in a while when I think things are off. Typically I do not after every 20 to 30 readings. The calibration itself is very easy. You just need to turn the screw until it measures the known pH (7 in my case).

Sounds good. Where did u purchase for 500 ?

You can get it at Amazon.in.
Hi,
I had bought a HM Digital PH meter from Amazon a few months ago. I haven't opened it since then as my experimental hydroponic setup is still not in place. Would the liquid that was in the sponge inserted in the cap kept the electrode safe till now?
Or is my pH meter pretty much gone and I would need to order a new one

Hi,
I had bought a HM Digital PH meter from Amazon a few months ago. I haven't opened it since then as my experimental hydroponic setup is still not in place. Would the liquid that was in the sponge inserted in the cap kept the electrode safe till now?
Or is my pH meter pretty much gone and I would need to order a new one
You should be fine.

Back