Health & Fitness Anyone facing sleeping problems?

Zaibatsu

Disciple
I have had this problem since I was 17 and now I'm 25. I often sleep during the day then I'm unable to sleep during the night. Then again the next day I fall asleep during the daytime and it keeps repeating. Even if I manage to stay awake for a full 24 hours before going to bed to change the sleeping pattern, the problem reoccurs after 2-3 weeks. It's affecting my life in such a way that I'm unable to go out of the house at all because I wake up at around 3 PM daily. Is there any hope for this? Now I'm considering taking sleep medication prescribed by my physician and force myself to sleep

Last edited:
First, try and identify what type of sleep disorder you have. At first glance it sounds like DPSD, but it could be something entirely different based on totality of the symptoms. Medication might work but it's usually better to solve issues from the causes if possible.

See the following: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circadian_rhythm_sleep_disorder
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_disorder

also fyi: https://edition.cnn.com/2018/04/12/health/night-owl-mortality-risk-study/index.html?no-st=1523649827[DOUBLEPOST=1523649897][/DOUBLEPOST]
You need to make changes to your life style, like no matter how sleepy you feel, do not sleep in afternoon

This is very good advice, hard to follow for a person who is free during the daytime and at home, but definitely doable by exercising willpower.

Being smart is this u ?

Internet usage has seen tremendous growth. From 2000 to 2009, the number of Internet users globally rose from 394 million to 1.858 billion.[70] By 2010, 22 percent of the world's population had access to computers with 1 billion Google searches every day, 300 million Internet users reading blogs, and 2 billion videos viewed daily on YouTube.[71] In 2014 the world's Internet users surpassed 3 billion or 43.6 percent of world population, but two-thirds of the users came from richest countries, with 78.0 percent of Europe countries population using the Internet, followed by 57.4 percent of the Americas.

Source- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet#Users

i can't sleep for more than 5-6 hrs daily for some reason. if i sleep at night at 1 am, i'll be wide awake by 6 am and no matter what i do, i can't fall asleep. if i sleep at 2 am i'll get up at 7 am. if i sleep in afternoon at 2 or 3pm i'll get up at 4pm and at night i cant sleep till 3 am. getting up is as usual 7 am. lol.

if you want to fall asleep fast, you need to tire your mind. so read some boring books or watch some dull documentary that will make you fall asleep.

Books fine, but no to documentary as the TV / phone light will disturb your sleep. There is one AOM article I have read which may help. Will try to post the link when possible

@6pack. U r lucky. I wish I can sleep only 6 hours

I too sleep only for 5 hours, 11pm to 4am or max 4.30 am, the key is to go to sleep early and for that you need to do some physical work (exercise or yoga) during the day time and not sleep during the day time. Medication is not the solution for this.

I don't know if m suffering from insomnia or what but since yr 2k16 I either get sound sleep for many days and if one day m unable to sleep then no guarantee when i will sleep. Its very irritating frustrating as whole day you feel lethargic with confused mind etc.
Now i have got phobia of sleeping itself. Worst part i feel very sleepy but when i lie on bed only thoughts randomly keep running in my mind or some shit music. Body tries to sleep but mind doesnt want to.
Even if m asleep and in between night I somehow woke up then again have to struggle to fall asleep.
I don't take any sleeping pills etc but now running into sleeping anxiety and phobia.
Suffering worst. If you cant sleep then health problems are gonna arise automatically.
I tried almost everything from writing my thoughts in book before going bed, sleeping asanas, yoga, deep breathing etc but its either temporary or doesnt work at all.

I either get 9 hrs sleep or no sleep at all.

In short, yearly i sleep good for just handful of days say 50 60, rest nights lost into struggling and being awake.

If anybody has any answer or trick to try m eager to try it.

6 hours of sleep is more than fine for a healthy human being, anything extra is just waste of time. I have had terrible problems with sleeping, even had to visit doctor who prescribed me some anti-depression pill, even though I had no depression at all! After taking the pill I used to sleep for like 9-10 hours and still remain like shite for the rest of the day all tired and shite, I used the pill for like 3-4 years continuously, then I had it, stopped taking it, now I am sleeping 5-6 hours every day. I feel totally fine with 6 hours of sleep, so I don't bother any more.

The main thing is, when you can't sleep, don't even try to. Just utilise your brain to something. Could be reading books, could be playing games and whatnot, then you will fall asleep soon. And before going to bed, don't think that you are going to sleep, but that you are going to just lay down for six hours or so to take rest.

Dumb people sleep the most anyway, so yeah ;)

Thats fine but for someone like me who seldom is able to sleep even though feeling very sleepy is now battling stomach issues. For food digestion one has to sleep least 4 hrs else acidity and what not which aint normal regular acidity but becomes chronic.

I haven't visited any xperts just coz they make addictive to sleeping pills. I still have 2yrs back pills lying in drawer but never took them except 2 tabs initially.

Now forget sleep, i have to daily battle acidity, indigestion, weakness, irritability, exertion etc just due to not sleeping. Forget to add anxiety, fear and phobia of sleeping.

I cant eat what i want doctors can't treat me coz unless i get even average sleep my symptoms will keep getting worse.

I know difficulty sleeping is all mind games but sadly i lost all games played.

Still somehow sustaining.

6 hours of sleep is more than fine for a healthy human being, anything extra is just waste of time. I have had terrible problems with sleeping, even had to visit doctor who prescribed me some anti-depression pill, even though I had no depression at all! After taking the pill I used to sleep for like 9-10 hours and still remain like shite for the rest of the day all tired and shite, I used the pill for like 3-4 years continuously, then I had it, stopped taking it, now I am sleeping 5-6 hours every day. I feel totally fine with 6 hours of sleep, so I don't bother any more.

The main thing is, when you can't sleep, don't even try to. Just utilise your brain to something. Could be reading books, could be playing games and whatnot, then you will fall asleep soon. And before going to bed, don't think that you are going to sleep, but that you are going to just lay down for six hours or so to take rest.

According to expert, different human being requires a different amount of sleep. Some may feel energetic after just 5-6 hours and some after 7 hours and so on. Also, sports person requires more sleep to enable the body to recover properly and so do bodybuilders. So we cant generalize that 6 hours is enough

Last edited:
Sleeping is not a one step process - just lying down and closing your eyes does not make you sleep. You need to prepare your body for it..
1. Avoid very full meals at dinner.
2. Eat at least a couple of hours before bed time.
3. Your bed room should be dark and conducive to sleep. No loud sounds or TV or computer in your bedroom.
4. Strictly no screen time at least for half an hour before sleep. Replace it with some book reading.
5. Relax your mind if you want to sleep well. You won't get sleep if you are worrying about the next day or regretting about yesterday. Do anything that relaxes your mind.. Yoga or mild exercise or a casual walk before bed time will definitely help. Taking a bath before bed time also works for many (including me).

For the middle aged man, at least 7 to 8 hours of sleep is considered necessary. Sleep is not waste of time, as someone mentioned earlier. There are so many important biological activities that happen during sleep. The more you lose sleep, the less focused your brain will be the following day. It also brings with it a plethora of complications - like irritable mood, digestive problems, obesity, illnesses, etc.

To the OP and others, avoid sleeping during daytime. A power nap (less than 30 mins) might be helpful, but don't sleep for hours together. Have a less than full lunch, and engage yourself in some activity during the afternoons. Over a period of a few weeks, it will become your habit and your body will adapt to the new rhythm beautifully.

For food digestion one has to sleep least 4 hrs else acidity and what not which aint normal regular acidity but becomes chronic.
Rather, avoid lying down or sleeping at least a couple of hours after a meal. If you lie down to sleep immediately after eating, you risk increasing the chances of acid regurgitation and acidity.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for your suggestions. My problem is fixed as I have changed the sleeping pattern once again. Don't know how long it will last though. I also use Zomato and Swiggy to keep myself busy at night around 3 AM

Sleeping is not a one step process - just lying down and closing your eyes does not make you sleep. You need to prepare your body for it..
1. Avoid very full meals at dinner.
2. Eat at least a couple of hours before bed time.
3. Your bed room should be dark and conducive to sleep. No loud sounds or TV or computer in your bedroom.
4. Strictly no screen time at least for half an hour before sleep. Replace it with some book reading.
5. Relax your mind if you want to sleep well. You won't get sleep if you are worrying about the next day or regretting about yesterday. Do anything that relaxes your mind.. Yoga or mild exercise or a casual walk before bed time will definitely help. Taking a bath before bed time also works for many (including me).

For the middle aged man, at least 7 to 8 hours of sleep is considered necessary. Sleep is not waste of time, as someone mentioned earlier. There are so many important biological activities that happen during sleep. The more you lose sleep, the less focused your brain will be the following day. It also brings with it a plethora of complications - like irritable mood, digestive problems, obesity, illnesses, etc.

To the OP and others, avoid sleeping during daytime. A power nap (less than 30 mins) might be helpful, but don't sleep for hours together. Have a less than full lunch, and engage yourself in some activity during the afternoons. Over a period of a few weeks, it will become your habit and your body will adapt to the new rhythm beautifully.

Rather, avoid lying down or sleeping at least a couple of hours after a meal. If you lie down to sleep immediately after eating, you risk increasing the chances of acid regurgitation and acidity.
Lol i sleep after 3 hrs having dinner so question of sleeping early or too soon after gulping doesnt arise. I take night strolls too after dinner. And never ever sleep on daytime unless unwell.
For body recovery sleep, in fact quality is very much essential its only when it repairs itself. Then no matter how much medicines for any ailments you take it's not gonna benefit unless you get quality sleep. Else those medicines tend to be poison and do only harm than any good!

I also take pills for depression. So this seems to be somehow related. I have always suspected it because medicines often have side effects and mess with the natural mechanism of our bodies. Anyway my problem is once again fixed. But I really get bored during the day. That's why I feel like sleeping. I will try to avoid it in the future

Last edited:
I also take pills for depression. So this seems to be somehow related. I have always suspected it because medicines often have side effects and mess with the natural mechanism of our bodies. Anyway my problem is once again fixed. But I really get bored during the day. That's why I feel like sleeping. I will try to avoid it in the future
Glad to know that your problem is fixed for now, Do something funny/interesting/creative or learn something new during the daytime and you will not feel bored.

You can also make a schedule for your Daytime and try to follow it, Do not leave too much empty time in between else again you will feel bored and sleepy.

I think it is the biggest problem of the youth that they can not sleep at the right moment. I think the mobile phone, laptops, and other digital technologies are responsible for sleeping problems as the youth misuse them. You have to consult a pyschologist for fixing this issue.

I also take pills for depression.

25yrs and on pills... please stop taking pills, it will fu*k your brain chemistry in long run (withing 2-3 yrs and things will downhills after that).

i don't know what type of pills you are on, and the frequency you take them.
But i hope you are on prescribed pills, if so depending on the pills see the process to stop those. Don't fall in this trap, please.

there are many ways to fight depression, pills are not the only way, specially if you are below 35-40yo.

for sleep:
  1. avoid smoking, if you do.
  2. avoid blue/white light after 8-8:30pm ( if you plan to sleep around 10pm)
  3. have your dinner by 8pm max and avoid any screen after this time, (TV/mobile, etc)
  4. start reading books before sleep, don't read story books but something non-friction which shouldn't trigger adrenaline.
  5. spend considerable time under sun/ direct-sunlight to regulate melatonin.
Also, google how to reset your biological clock and follow the instruction.

Don't sleep during the day. It's for infants, old people or those who do manual labor.

Keep yourself hydrated. And I don't mean gulping down a pitcher of water immediately after a meal, that will just irritate your system causing hiccups and stuff.
Rather maintain 2 glasses after every bathroom break even if you aren't thirsty.

Go to bed by 11pm.

I don't know if m suffering from insomnia or what but since yr 2k16 I either get sound sleep for many days and if one day m unable to sleep then no guarantee when i will sleep. Its very irritating frustrating as whole day you feel lethargic with confused mind etc.
Now i have got phobia of sleeping itself. Worst part i feel very sleepy but when i lie on bed only thoughts randomly keep running in my mind or some shit music. Body tries to sleep but mind doesnt want to.
Even if m asleep and in between night I somehow woke up then again have to struggle to fall asleep.
I don't take any sleeping pills etc but now running into sleeping anxiety and phobia.
Suffering worst. If you cant sleep then health problems are gonna arise automatically.
I tried almost everything from writing my thoughts in book before going bed, sleeping asanas, yoga, deep breathing etc but its either temporary or doesnt work at all.

I either get 9 hrs sleep or no sleep at all.

In short, yearly i sleep good for just handful of days say 50 60, rest nights lost into struggling and being awake.

If anybody has any answer or trick to try m eager to try it.

I had almost the same problem. Wake up in the middle of the night then unable to fall asleep until 3 hours later by which time it's already time to get up.
Just an innate feeling of restlessness and discomfort.

In my case I was getting dehydrated but wasn't realizing it. And I didn't feel thirsty at all.
Now I sleep with a pitcher of water and have a glass or two everytime I get up in the middle of the night.

Yea I have to get up 3 times in the middle of the night, but beats the hell out of not getting any sleep at all.

Last edited:
Back