Anyone got Windows 10 Anniversary Update yet?

6 mnths and 1.5 years old. Also got on my 2.5 year old machine.

All machines received the update automatically, or were they triggered?

So far, the theory that newer machines will receive it first seemed to be going true... until you posted about your 2.5 year old machine :D. When did you receive the update on this older machine?

@CapriAnupam are you by any chance running Win10 without any MS account logged in, only using local account?[DOUBLEPOST=1471869636][/DOUBLEPOST]Your PC is more than 3 yrs old, so maybe a few more days waiting in line :D

@vishalrao , yes, I have been using a local account since the very beginning. Why?

Yes, looking at the update posts, it seems I have some more days to wait before I get the update :D.[DOUBLEPOST=1471871132][/DOUBLEPOST]

Thank you. It's great your older machine too got it early.

But I have not installed it. Switched off the machine before it could download ;)

Just another possibility for the delay in getting the update, to throw into the mix.

Hmm, I don't think this is the reason for the delay. I have been using a local account since beginning, and have always received the updates without issues.

I think it's just a matter of waiting before my system receives the update.

Is it safe now to get Anniversary Update - I mean all the Bugs sorted out - Like Black Screen , Freezing etc reported and all over internet.

I click the 'Defer Upgrade' for my two Win10 Pro machine and didn't boot up past months on my Win10 Home Netbook.

Googled my question but not help.

I have tried updating at least 4-times through the Media Creation tool as well as the update.exe, it keeps failing though.
It shows some "MIGRATION_DATA error during first restart", I have tried some suggestions provided on the internet, but nothing worked

Did anyone else face this??

Hi guys, Windows 10 Anniversary Update finally arrived for me yesterday.

But, unfortunately, I ran into issues during the update, but today I was able to solve it successfully. Was a bit tiring and frustrating, but I am glad it was successful in the end.

@ramdante, I did not face same issue as yours, but faced another one.. related to some driver issue, I don't know what. It took me 4 tries to get the update done successfully, and had to uninstall and reinstall drivers, apart from some software, just to make sure the update installed correctly.

So you can see @dissel, you can still run across issues during the update.

My advice, if you are looking to update to Windows 10 Anniversary Update, would be to not waste bandwidth, and don't wait for it to update via Windows Update like I did, because if you do run into troubles, your bandwidth will be wasted, and you won't be sure if the problem will be solved. I made that mistake, twice.

So, download an ISO of the AU, via the media creation tool, or download it on a flash drive, and then manually upgrade your system.

Also, make sure to have a full system backup of your OS, and files before attempting to update. If you haven't got the update yet, then make sure you do the backup before hand.

@ramdante, I would advise you to post your problem on www.tenforums.com, or Microsoft Community, so that you can get some help. I posted on both. I was quite disappointed by the help on Microsoft Community though, as one person posted completely unhelpful reply. The one reply on tenforums was a bit helpful, but still not enough to solve my problem. I didn't wait for more posts to arrive though, which I don't know how much time would have taken for that.

My issues with the Anniversary update is only with the SSD, this is with 3 SSDs - 840 120GB Normal variant on which I am writing, the 850 Evo 480GB and a Kingston EV300 or whatever was being sold for 8.6k by primeABGB, 480GB version. All exhibit severe lagging when too much load is put on the system. I have never seen this issue earlier.

All have a 10% overprovision partition. All have some space free. Updating the Intel SATA drivers solved the issue, but not as much as I would have liked it to be.

Is there any way to stop this update from downloading? In previous windows versions there was a way in update manager to right click and ignore an update. Is there something similar in 10 now? I don't want this shitty update ruining my PC. I dual boot with Linux Mint and I've read people who have lost entire partitions due to windows screwing up something in the boot partition.

Is there any way to stop this update from downloading? In previous windows versions there was a way in update manager to right click and ignore an update. Is there something similar in 10 now? I don't want this shitty update ruining my PC. I dual boot with Linux Mint and I've read people who have lost entire partitions due to windows screwing up something in the boot partition.

In the the group policy editor go to computer configuration -> administrative template -> windows component -> windows update. Enable configure automatic updates and set the option to 2 (notify for download and install).

If I am not wrong, I think the changes via the group policy editor are possible only in the Pro version of Windows.

In Home version, there is no way to stop the updates.

I doubt it would screw up other partitions. At best, it may overwrite the boot loader.
In any case, I got the update on my Surface Pro 4 a while back, but I am holding out waiting for it to become more stable.

Surface Pro comes with Windows 10 Pro which has better controls over updates. You cannot stop updates on Windows 10 Home though. However this link should be useful for Windows 10 Home users too.

http://www.windowscentral.com/how-delay-windows-10-anniversary-update

Last edited:
I'm on 10 Pro version. I've set it to defer upgrades for now.

I doubt it would screw up other partitions. At best, it may overwrite the boot loader.
In any case, I got the update on my Surface Pro 4 a while back, but I am holding out waiting for it to become more stable.

Surface Pro comes with Windows 10 Pro which has better controls over updates. You cannot stop updates on Windows 10 Home though. However this link should be useful to help you defer it.

http://www.windowscentral.com/how-delay-windows-10-anniversary-update

Never doubt Microsoft updates.
https://www.reddit.com/r/linuxmint/comments/52mx55/windows_10_update_ruined_my_disk_how_to_solve_it/

Back