Anyone got Windows 10 Anniversary Update yet?

What happens when you have Win XP and Linux in dual boot and you upgrade to Windows 7. The boot record gets overwritten and you will no longer get the linux boot loader. However this does not mean that the data or partitions were erased. You can restore grub after the install.

It looks like the anniversary update also works like a upgrade to new OS (basically its like Windows 11) and rewrites the boot records (MSR). The partitions disappearing is the UEFI and GPT equivalent of the above mentioned scenario. If you look, there are people who reported similar issues when they upgraded from Windows 7/8 to Windows 10 with GPT partitions. So its not Anniversary update itself screwing the hard disk, but the fact that this update is treated like an OS upgrade.

The data is not lost and apparently the partitions can be restored after the update using a partition management tool. Still, its not a situation that a end user should be facing.

I updated to Windows 10 AU, and it's working fine for me.

I think disk access lag can be sort out by updating the SATA drivers? Worth a try. Someone else mentioned about it a few posts ago... but it was SSD I guess.

The latest cumulative update to Windows 10 AU has been getting stuck for some people, but it worked fine for me fortunately. I was dreading in case it got stuck for me too. Would have hated that after the issues with Windows 10 AU itself.

I updated to Windows 10 AU, and it's working fine for me.

I think disk access lag can be sort out by updating the SATA drivers? Worth a try. Someone else mentioned about it a few posts ago... but it was SSD I guess.

The latest cumulative update to Windows 10 AU has been getting stuck for some people, but it worked fine for me fortunately. I was dreading in case it got stuck for me too. Would have hated that after the issues with Windows 10 AU itself.

After updating the SATA drivers, the issue gets reduced to a great extent. But still, the lag is noticeable under heavy multitasking.

That sucks. Windows 10 Anniversary Update has not been a good release. Looks like it was released without much testing. Many people have been having problems with this update.

I personally faced such a problem first time for Windows Update during many years of using Windows, and it has been a long time.

Already because of privacy concerns, and Windows 10 being forced on users of Windows 7, people have begun to go to Linux. Such issues will make more people want to migrate to Linux.

Microsoft is poking people with a stick every time. All the negative news will just add up and people who can afford to move away from windows os will go away to mac or linux platforms. Linux has a 'nerd only' baggage with it from ages. Macs are expensive. People will go to a Mac if they have to choose between Linux and Mac. Mac is more polished compared to Linux (and its hundred flavors which add to the confusion).

^^ Mac OS is worse than the worst Microsoft ever let out of its stables (Windows ME). It may be fine for casual users who don't find any difference between Mac OS and iOS (Most of the user who say tablets can replace PCs are from this lot), but most serious PC users cannot switch from Windows.

Also, if you haven't noticed, Mac OS market share is on the decline. Earlier, it peaked out at around 7.5% (all active versions combined). But now, Mac OS 10.11 has market share of 4.38% and even including all other Mac OS versions combined has less market than 6%. Mac OS all versions combined has less market share than any single version of Windows OS including Windows XP which dates back to 2001.

^^ Mac OS is worse than the worst Microsoft ever let out of its stables (Windows ME). It may be fine for casual users who don't find any difference between Mac OS and iOS (Most of the user who say tablets can replace PCs are from this lot), but most serious PC users cannot switch from Windows.

Also, if you haven't noticed, Mac OS market share is on the decline. Earlier, it peaked out at around 7.5% (all active versions combined). But now, Mac OS 10.11 has market share of 4.38% and even including all other Mac OS versions combined has less market than 6%. Mac OS all versions combined has less market share than any single version of Windows OS including Windows XP which dates back to 2001.
True. I think Mac sales are declining due to Apple treating the PC as a dead platform.

Mac OS is mostly cannibalized by iOS. The only thing barely keeping it alive for pro use at least is the dependency for iOS development. If that's ever broken, Mac OS share will probably drop below 1%. Creative Professionals no longer prefer Mac OS. At least at my work place, most artists and other creative team members switched over to Windows machines for running Adobe Creative Suite and other tools. The only people that still need Mac's are the teams working on Mac OS and iOS software.

Linux has a 'nerd only' baggage with it from ages
Mac is more polished compared to Linux (and its hundred flavors which add to the confusion).

Good points there.

The "nerd only" baggage has somewhat gone away with Linux distros like Ubuntu, Mint etc, which have made Linux easier for people to use.

However, yes, the main problem I see with Linux is the availability of so many distros, which creates a lot of confusion. Add to that, there are different desktop environments, different types of packages, etc. Moreover, the distros themselves are very inconsistent. If one version of a distro works well, you can't be sure if the next version will. I have seen people distro hopping a lot, going from one flavor to another. That does not work for me. I want consistency and stability. I don't like to change things often. This is the same with many people.

Further, I have used some distros, and they somehow don't look all the polished to me. I am not satisfied with their look and feel. It often feels like I am using something old.

People want things to work out of the box, and this is where Windows excels. You don't have to change much in Windows. Things just work out of the box. With Linux, there's no such guarantee, and you might have to make a lot of changes, before you are satisfied.

Then, there's the problem of drivers and software. One of my main reasons for not migrating to Linux have been these. I have need for all kinds of software, and many of these either won't be available for Linux, or I might have to spend a lot of time to search for them, or, they won't be of that quality. Then, there's drivers. My webcam wont work on Linux, and I have to search a lot for how to make it work. If such a simple thing won't work out of the box, people will just move away.

IMO, Linux should do away with so many distros, or, focus on making things universal across all distros, so that these things get polished and work over long periods of time. They need to be consistent, and work out of the box.

There are however distros like Linux Mint, which are easy to use, and will serve the purpose for any general user who just wants to browse the internet, or watch movies, listen to music, etc.

Some people have migrated to Linux, or are thinking about this since this onslaught of Windows 10, and its issues. Still, it will be long time before Linux can become mainstream given its state of things.

At work I have been using El Capitain more or less since it came out on a Mac Mini (i5, 4GB RAM). And it runs like absolute dogshit. Like just Mac mail and a few Vivaldi tabs will utterly choke it to the point where other applications take forever to open. Honestly the last good one was 10.7.

Not that Win 10 Anniversary is doing much better, on my home gaming PC it BSOD the three times I tried upgrading. Better on my second work computer but honestly there doesnt seem to be a reason to upgrade from Win 10 vanilla.

Not that Win 10 Anniversary is doing much better, on my home gaming PC it BSOD the three times I tried upgrading.

You could try searching the error code for the BSOD to locate the issue.

Windows 10 Anniversary Update has been having issues with drivers, so you could check if any of your drivers need updating.

^ Thats the problem. With the money I paid for original copy of windows, I don't want to waste my time googling codes to figure out my problems. damn microsoft always messing up

yesterday I updated my friends' 4 year old pc and windows 10 couldn't adjust the moniotrs resolution. installing nvidia drivers did nothing since the drivers were for windows 8 and not windows 10.

The day Linux has full fledged proper video player like mpc Roth mad vr and other customizations.. I'm gonna Nuke windows forever

You could try searching the error code for the BSOD to locate the issue.

Windows 10 Anniversary Update has been having issues with drivers, so you could check if any of your drivers need updating.

Thats the problem. I get a QR code with the BSOD, scanning that leads to the MS website "page doesnt exist". LOL. And since the PC never boots into Windows anniversary I cant use whocrashed or any other software to read the dump.

And since it happens on a clean install with nothing connected to the PC, I honestly cant be bothered to troubleshoot it. Would rather just wait a few months to see how it goes later.

I haven't come across that one yet. Probably because I haven't come across BSOD since a long time. Why would they show a QR code? What if a person does not have the means to scan it? It's quite strange.

Back