Anyone got Windows 10 Anniversary Update yet?

^^ Mac OS is worse than the worst Microsoft ever let out of its stables (Windows ME)
I think that is a huge exaggeration. I can't think of any rational reason for why you would think so poorly of macOS.

It seems to me that macOS is just as powerful as Windows or Linux. If you do all your work online, the operating system you choose makes little to no difference, and Mac fits the bill. And I know for a fact that many companies and startups of today (in Bangalore for example, and also including my workplace) stick to Mac for coding and highly technical work. And all the designers use Mac too. Your own experience at your workplace (of people preferring Windows) might be an anomaly. AFAIK, a lot of people love Mac.

But that isn't to say macOS is better. In my opinion, the market for operating systems have come to a saturation point, where unless you're facing a computer-breaking technical issue, all operating systems essentially do the same thing. The same goes for Android and iOS. Either operating system can do (almost) everything the other can, which is fine enough for 99% of people, tech people and creative professionals included. The only difference between OSes is with the UI and the price of the hardware that comes with the OS.

I myself have been using macOS on my MacBook for over a year. I work exclusively online (not a lot of technical work) and I love the laptop to death. I personally prefer the UI of macOS to Windows, especially due to UI elements like the dock, Expose and hot corners. This opinion has changed a bit with Windows 10, where introduction of similar UI features make it much more attractive to me. Also, I use an Android phone (which I prefer over iOS for UI reasons) and Windows on my desktop PC (which is good for gaming), so please don't accuse me of fanboyism.

Mac OS all versions combined has less market share than any single version of Windows OS including Windows XP which dates back to 2001

That is of course expected since Mac has always held the "premium" share of the market. And it is effective in that market. You can't really compare it to Windows XP.

Also, when it comes to laptops, I really think that no laptop really approaches the keyboard, trackpad and overall build quality of the MacBook (the Dell XPS 15 comes close). A lot of people share this opinion and this is certainly a factor for macOS to hold a very healthy share of the market.

Your statement of "The only people that still need Mac's are the teams working on Mac OS and iOS software" is wrong as there are a lot of people like me who like macOS, if only for UI preference.

Depends. I like the new feature of virtual desktops and the mac like gestures. I hate that with AU, my laptops feels slow and hangs often.

Windows 10 forcing my machine to Anniversary Ed update i think. Seeing these speeds from past hour or so even though my connection is just 2 Mbps.
windows-updating.PNG

I don't know what it was, but there was no update option while shutting down the PC. Weird. Wonder what it did with all the data it downloaded. :s

Last edited:
Windows 10 forcing my machine to Anniversary Ed update i think. Seeing these speeds from past hour or so even though my connection is just 2 Mbps.
View attachment 68878

I don't know what it was, but there was no update option while shutting down the PC. Weird. Wonder what it did with all the data it downloaded. :s

I dont think thats with MS, but your Google Chrome maybe updated. Because to the best of my knowledge, MS Windows Updates are not cached, but Google is.

^^ Mac OS is worse than the worst Microsoft ever let out of its stables (Windows ME). It may be fine for casual users who don't find any difference between Mac OS and iOS (Most of the user who say tablets can replace PCs are from this lot), but most serious PC users cannot switch from Windows.

Also, if you haven't noticed, Mac OS market share is on the decline. Earlier, it peaked out at around 7.5% (all active versions combined). But now, Mac OS 10.11 has market share of 4.38% and even including all other Mac OS versions combined has less market than 6%. Mac OS all versions combined has less market share than any single version of Windows OS including Windows XP which dates back to 2001.
Why do you feel that way?
Mac OS is completely different from iOS other than the superficial cosmetic similarities they share (which is not necessarily a bad thing)
Other than that, Mac OS gives you every feature/flexibility that windows offers if not more!

I incidentally am on anniversary update of Win 10 on a SP 4 which I am using on a daily basis along with a Macbook
While the hardware of the SP4 is certainly nice, the overall experience is marred by the typical inconsistencies on Windows along with the unusually higher number of bugs that you face on a daily basis (vs the Mac)
Specifically for SP4, the old argument that Macs are custom built for specific hardware which enables them to be relatively bug free holds good for the SP4 too

Yet somehow, the experience is nowehere as consistent an bug free as it is on Mac OS

PS: If you can believe this - Pre Anniv update, trying to setup cortana would throw an error saying something along the lines of this Soundcard (reatek) and Microphone are not supported for cortana - This is MSs own flagship line hardware

I dont think thats with MS, but your Google Chrome maybe updated. Because to the best of my knowledge, MS Windows Updates are not cached, but Google is.
It was Windows. It did some updating during last shutdown and restart and version number became 10586.753. Its this I think - https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/4009939/windows-10-update-kb3210721
Plus its showing this now in Windows update settings -

windows-update2.PNG

So it is like a forced update install.

Maybe the speeds are because of that new fangled thing - shared distribution of updates or something. Must be pulling from somewhere in the local network.

Last edited:
Maybe the speeds are because of that new fangled thing - shared distribution of updates or something. Must be pulling from somewhere in the local network.
Yup, your right
Windows 10 has that ability to distribute updates over LAN. Here it seems you are on Cablenet.

I was very skeptical about updating to AU, but finally updated a month ago after taking C Drive backup. All went well.

I updated using the iso, just incase if anything went wrong with updating, it wont have to download the update again, which it does in Windows Update.
Cant have AU ruin my FUP that month.

Why do you feel that way?
Mac OS is completely different from iOS other than the superficial cosmetic similarities they share (which is not necessarily a bad thing)
Other than that, Mac OS gives you every feature/flexibility that windows offers if not more!

I incidentally am on anniversary update of Win 10 on a SP 4 which I am using on a daily basis along with a Macbook
While the hardware of the SP4 is certainly nice, the overall experience is marred by the typical inconsistencies on Windows along with the unusually higher number of bugs that you face on a daily basis (vs the Mac)
Specifically for SP4, the old argument that Macs are custom built for specific hardware which enables them to be relatively bug free holds good for the SP4 too

Yet somehow, the experience is nowehere as consistent an bug free as it is on Mac OS

PS: If you can believe this - Pre Anniv update, trying to setup cortana would throw an error saying something along the lines of this Soundcard (reatek) and Microphone are not supported for cortana - This is MSs own flagship line hardware

I am not sure now that Apple is better than Windows, on the several macs in my office, macOS Sierra started downloading automatically, and resulted in meltdown of internet speeds several times.

Bugs with macOS is more than other, I am not talking of the battery bugs, but things such as slow performance, apps not opening, stuck etc.

It was Windows. It did some updating during last shutdown and restart and version number became 10586.753. Its this I think - https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/4009939/windows-10-update-kb3210721
Plus its showing this now in Windows update settings -

View attachment 68880

So it is like a forced update install.

Yup, your right
Windows 10 has that ability to distribute updates over LAN. Here it seems you are on Cablenet.

I was very skeptical about updating to AU, but finally updated a month ago after taking C Drive backup. All went well.

I updated using the iso, just incase if anything went wrong with updating, it wont have to download the update again, which it does in Windows Update.

It will pull over the LAN, not Internet by default. I need to check though.

Yup, your right

Reading your post, I think I will take a backup of the C drive asap. Don't know what Windows 10 will have in store for me.

I updated my pirated win 7 ultimate 64bit to win 10 in june because i wanted to play gears 4 and forza but sadly they were priced very highly and there isn't a working crack for them till now(12 step exploit doesn't count)
So last week suddenly i got notification for 1607(anniversary update) and after few hours i had to shut down my pc and it had downloaded like 92% of 2.5GB of the update. After restarting computer next day that update notification vanished and im still on some 15XX version
So will i ever get that notification again ?
I don't want to download anniversary update from the site now because it has already taken up 2.5GB of the space in my C drive and i want to continue from that 92% of the download

Mine updated to the 1607 version without a hitch. Only some program shortcuts in the start menu are missing though. Maybe because I moved them out from the folder in which I had put them in.

I updated my pirated win 7 ultimate 64bit to win 10 in june because i wanted to play gears 4 and forza but sadly they were priced very highly and there isn't a working crack for them till now(12 step exploit doesn't count)
So last week suddenly i got notification for 1607(anniversary update) and after few hours i had to shut down my pc and it had downloaded like 92% of 2.5GB of the update. After restarting computer next day that update notification vanished and im still on some 15XX version
So will i ever get that notification again ?
I don't want to download anniversary update from the site now because it has already taken up 2.5GB of the space in my C drive and i want to continue from that 92% of the download

It must have downloaded to C drive in some hidden folder. It will first install all the pre-requisites and only then update to 1607 version. Same happened to me.

Mine updated to the 1607 version without a hitch. Only some program shortcuts in the start menu are missing though. Maybe because I moved them out from the folder in which I had put them in.

It must have downloaded to C drive in some hidden folder. It will first install all the pre-requisites and only then update to 1607 version. Same happened to me.
So what should i do. Im not getting any new updates
It is saying that im upto date

First look in the update settings if it's there. If it's not there, then you can download the ISO and update it if you have iffy internet connection. Or you can just wait for Windows to update by itself. Windows will download around 4+GB of data though.[DOUBLEPOST=1486294826][/DOUBLEPOST]Does the 1607 version take a long time to startup and shutdown? I got a scare sometime back when it took~20 mins to shutdown today. Next time I shut it down after defragmenting the hdd, it shutdown in around 10 seconds. And for each startup it takes around 4-5mins.

Last edited:
Back