Anyone here (or your wife, mom) using Instant Pot for Indian Cooking ?

raksrules

Elite
Is anyone here using Instant pot in India to cook regular Indian meals ? Want to know how are the experiences and where to buy from. I can get from USA but it would be 110v and I am not sure if it is ok to keep using with a step down transformer and instead get a 220v proper one.

You mean the electric cooker? Had bought this couple of years back but anything cooked in it is tasteless and does not retain moisture. The rice, meat cooked in it was hard and tasteless. I think it was the Redmond brand. Now it is lying somewhere without any use.

Last edited:
@dpandey

yes this is the one. I am in US currently so can get one but I am not really interested in using it myself. I was coming to India in couple if months and wanted to see if I can get it with me if it is useful. Have also asked my wife to check and see if it is worth it.

Is anyone here using Instant pot in India to cook regular Indian meals ? Want to know how are the experiences and where to buy from. I can get from USA but it would be 110v and I am not sure if it is ok to keep using with a step down transformer and instead get a 220v proper one.

Get the step up convertors as well from there. Here you get subpar stuff which does not work for the rating.

@dpandey

yes this is the one. I am in US currently so can get one but I am not really interested in using it myself. I was coming to India in couple if months and wanted to see if I can get it with me if it is useful. Have also asked my wife to check and see if it is worth it.
I have been using the electric pressure cooker from Preethi for almost 5 years now. It's an absolute pleasure to use in the kitchen. Compared to the conventional rice cookers, the quality of cooked rice using these electric pressure cookers are much better. It doesn't get dry. Cooking other routine south indian staples like pongal and idly is also easy. Dal and vegetables can also be cooked. We find it much easier and safer to use than conventional pressure cookers.

I have been using the electric pressure cooker from Preethi for almost 5 years now. It's an absolute pleasure to use in the kitchen. Compared to the conventional rice cookers, the quality of cooked rice using these electric pressure cookers are much better. It doesn't get dry. Cooking other routine south indian staples like pongal and idly is also easy. Dal and vegetables can also be cooked. We find it much easier and safer to use than conventional pressure cookers.
What metal does it use for the inner pot. Aluminium or stainless steel.

Also what about availability of spare parts. Washers etc. These are easily and cheaply available for stove top pressure cookers

Last edited:
He is probably talking about this

https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-Multi-Use-Programmable-Pressure/dp/B01MFEBQH1/

At $79 I would say go ahead and give it a try. Esp if you like cooking meat. I try to simulate slow cooking with the gas burner at the lowest setting. But it is not the same thing.

You could do bone broths at sub 100 temp.

You might even be able to do some sous vide with this.

Looks like a crock pot. Slow cook for stews brings out the flavour and its incredible.

Hey, anytime you used for non south Indian dishes ?

What metal does it use for the inner pot. Aluminium or stainless steel.

Also what about availability of spare parts. Washers etc. These are easily and cheaply available for stove top pressure cookers
It has a stainless steel inner pot. Haven't had the need to change any washer or gasket in these five years. If needed, I am sure Preethi has many authorized service centers that can easily repair or replace stuff.
Nope. I don't eat non-vegetarian, so no idea about use for non veg stuff too. It is just a pressure cooker anyway. The various food type settings are just presets that you mostly won't be using, just like the presets in a microwave oven.

It has a stainless steel inner pot. Haven't had the need to change any washer or gasket in these five years. If needed, I am sure Preethi has many authorized service centers that can easily repair or replace stuff.
Five years and no change of gasket ? i have to chnage the one on the prestige every year.

I like the idea of a programmable cooker for the same reason i like microwave. It can turn itself off. So its set and forget.

Anyway, i brought the idea up with the house and it got shot down fast. They prefer the traditional way with the gas stove

:(

I use a crock-pot
Had picked up one at a local Lakeland sale in Pune
Does a great job with meats.

Having said that, These are relatively high wattage devices when the heating coil comes on - you would be a lot better off picking one up in India or the UK rather than the US

Five years and no change of gasket ? i have to chnage the one on the prestige every year.

I like the idea of a programmable cooker for the same reason i like microwave. It can turn itself off. So its set and forget.

Anyway, i brought the idea up with the house and it got shot down fast. They prefer the traditional way with the gas stove

:(

I have two of these pressure cookers - one is at least 8 years old if not more
No change of gasket or anything required thus far
What I particularly like about it is that it does not give out any annoying whistles
What I don't like about it is that it takes a lot longer to get through the initial heating compared to a traditional cooker on a high flame

I have two of these pressure cookers - one is at least 8 years old if not more
No change of gasket or anything required thus far
What I particularly like about it is that it does not give out any annoying whistles
What I don't like about it is that it takes a lot longer to get through the initial heating compared to a traditional cooker on a high flame
How often do you use it ?

Ours is in operation twice a day and within a year the gasket is harder and does not seal well anymore. That's why it has to be replaced. Brand new they are softer.

Might be a tighter seal so the rubber holds for longer with yours.

The gasket that came with mine seems to be made of silicone. I'm not sure, but it is definitely different from the conventional rubber gaskets. We use the cooker every day. It is much safer, and shuts down automatically like @blr_p mentioned. I can't force open it without releasing the pressure.

Ours is in operation twice a day and within a year the gasket is harder and does not seal well anymore. That's why it has to be replaced. Brand new they are softer.

First couple of years, quite a bit
Now it does a heavy duty job twice a week (large quantity of meat /chicken /veggies/rice for the four legged boys)

PS: These are Croma home-brand cookers

This kind of appliance is useful if you do a lot of one pot meals (e.g what @superczar is doing for his pets). I doubt you will be able to integrate it well into an Indian kitchen (where every meals is 3-4 dishes). If you plan to use it as a pressure cooker, you might as well use a real pressure cooker.

I don't like rice cookers for the same reason (I cook rice 1-2 times a week and don't want something that takes up counter space).

Last edited:

Do note market is filled with plenty of fake prestige gaskets, which do not last long. Mine is also used twice a day but within minutes of cooking the first one and the gasket last 2 years +.

Back