Anyone here (or your wife, mom) using Instant Pot for Indian Cooking ?

I use a crock-pot
Had picked up one at a local Lakeland sale in Pune
Does a great job with meats.

Having said that, These are relatively high wattage devices when the heating coil comes on - you would be a lot better off picking one up in India or the UK rather than the US

I have two of these pressure cookers - one is at least 8 years old if not more
No change of gasket or anything required thus far
What I particularly like about it is that it does not give out any annoying whistles
What I don't like about it is that it takes a lot longer to get through the initial heating compared to a traditional cooker on a high flame
link to your crock pot? Ive tried buying it in india but not sure about buying local step down transformers

yup. I couldn't find crockpot replacements in india. tried using regular electric rice cooker and it didnt do well. however I have to try these electric pressure cookers tho

yup. I couldn't find crockpot replacements in india. tried using regular electric rice cooker and it didnt do well. however I have to try these electric pressure cookers tho
the ones i've seen abroad have the pot made out of porcelain. With timers so set it in the morning and its done by the time you get back.

Most amazing results

Do note market is filled with plenty of fake prestige gaskets, which do not last long. Mine is also used twice a day but within minutes of cooking the first one and the gasket last 2 years +.
The one we have is an old one brought back from abroad. Made in England. So i think it used a slightly thicker gasket than the ones sold here. That is the only way i can think these gaskets lose their seal.

I don't think these are fakes, sold in household goods stores with the prestige stickers

the ones i've seen abroad have the pot made out of porcelain. With timers so set it in the morning and its done by the time you get back.

Most amazing results
exactly. and since you're not frying stuff, most of the nutritional content in vegetables is still intact.and its tasty. my friends chuck in vegetables meat and curry cubes in the night and wake up to delicious chili in the morning

What metal does it use for the inner pot. Aluminium or stainless steel.

Also what about availability of spare parts. Washers etc. These are easily and cheaply available for stove top pressure cookers
Im thinking of buying the preeti one so I called local preeti service center near me mentioned on their website and they said they will arrange for parts within one day if anything goes wrong with electric cooker. so thats encouraging.

Im thinking of buying the preeti one or croma branded one

Im thinking of buying the preeti one so I called local preeti service center near me mentioned on their website and they said they will arrange for parts within one day if anything goes wrong with electric cooker. so thats encouraging.

Im thinking of buying the preeti one or croma branded one

Most croma branded products seem to be of especially poor quality, not even worth the lower prices they're selling at. Dunno if anyone has had a good experience with croma branded stuff...

I have been using a instant pot clone from midea which is the same company that makes the parts for instant pot. The presets on the "clones" are different as well. One of the main selling points for instant pot is all the food blogs with recipes for the device but tbh, if you know how to cook on a stovetop then you will be able to figure out the settings for the dishes eventually, instead of relying on the presets. It is a great complement to the cooking range and a reasonable alternative to regular pressure cookers. For example I make coconut sambar often and it has become much easier to do on a combo of the electric pressure cooker and could of stovetops. It is a bit of a jack of all trades that can saute/steam/slow cook.

Def get the stainless steel version, it's even worth getting the stainless steel container separately if you have a nonstick one.

Last edited:
Back