Dear friends,

I have a Corsair 620hx PSU. I have heard there is some kind of buzzing sound
if it is connected to a UPS which is not pure sinewave. I found a thread
here on the same issue :

http://www.techenclave.com/forums/apc-br-800-sandisk-cruzer-micro-98800.html

Information regarding this can also be found here:

PSU Buzzing on APC Battery - The Corsair Support Forums

I am not sure whether there will be a problem or not but anyway I went with
the SmartUPS line from APC. Now, the problem I am having is that the UPS does not have a normal 3 pin connection but iec 320 c13 type.

The APC engineer said he can cut the power cable and make a 3 pin connection. I am not sure about this. I want to know if this will cause any problems or not. Has anyone got the SmartUPS model No. SUA 750 I from APC and if so how did you connect?

Thank you

I got 2 connecting cables whith the SmartUPS 750i which I have used on the SMPS and Monitor, I use a MX adapter on a power strip which converted the normal 3 pin 5 AMP plug to fit on the socket on the UPS. This adapter is available at Lamington Road Mumbai, I think it cost me about 35/-.

I also got a APC powerstrip with 3 sockets with my SmartUPS, did you not get one ?

i have the same buzzing noise with my 620HX and APC BR800 UPS.. i've not read any concrete evidence so far that the ups may damage the psu.. besides, that's what the 5yr warranty on the psu is for :)

non duality said:
Hello Eazy! Thank you for replying.

No. I did not get a powerstrip with the UPS. Is it included or did you pay extra for it?

Got it FREE, came inside the APC SmartUPS carton along with 2 power cables and a USB and Serial cable for the Powerchute monitoring software .. a picture of powerstrip and a power cable (this is not the cable that came with the UPS but a similar one) ...

Thank you very much for taking the trouble to upload pictures!:)

I paid around Rs.9000/- + tax for the UPS. If the power strip is included do you think the package has been tampered with?

@ non duality,
What exactly is the problem ? do you have problem with the cable which connects the UPS to the mains supply, i.e. UPS input ? or is it the UPS output sockets?

For problem no.1 use any heavy duty , good quality pc psu cable, if the UPS has IEC 320 C13 type socket or Cutting the existing plug and replacing it with good, normal type 3 pin plug is not a bad idea but kindly confirm whether it would void ur warranty first. for problem no. 2 use cables as posted by Eazy, second pic, i.e. the normal psu to monitor type cables.

@deejay

well, the UPS did not even come with a cable to connect it to the mains supply!

The person who brought it said he was asked to deliver the UPS only. He said if there is a cable then he will go back and get it. Is not the cable supposed to be included with the package itself?

The other problem is that I would like to connect my router and modem to the UPS also but the output connection of the UPS is iec 320 c13 type. And I did not receive the power strip that eazy mentioned.

non duality said:
@deejay
well, the UPS did not even come with a cable to connect it to the mains supply!
The person who brought it said he was asked to deliver the UPS only. He said if there is a cable then he will go back and get it. Is not the cable supposed to be included with the package itself?
The cable should not only be included but imho there should be atleast one or two output sockets like our normal "Indian" 3 pin type too, just so that the user can attach modems / routers to get on the net as quickly as possible without having to go the market and shop around for compatible cables !!!
You can contact APC regarding this non delivery of cables.
non duality said:
The other problem is that I would like to connect my router and modem to the UPS also but the output connection of the UPS is iec 320 c13 type. And I did not receive the power strip that eazy mentioned.

Well you can try to get a powerstrip as shown by Eazy or if you more resouceful type then use any existing powerstrip you have, then replace its (powerstrip) mains cable with a modded cable by using any psu to monitor type cable (second pic from Eazy's post) but cutting off the female type plug and soldering the three wires directly to the pcb of the powerstrip. do whatever is easy and convinient for you.

well guys the problem is not with the PSU. The problem is that the backup series does not give out pure sign wave output.

only the smart series in APC gives out sign wave.

I had the same problem with my 1kva backup series. I got a 750va smart and no more buzzing sounds

@ sandy,
Where are we discussing psu or sinewave output problems here ?

The discussion is only about sockets on the UPS and procurement of compatible cables.

Back