Android [APP][4.1+] Nokia HERE maps now available for all Android phones

ayanavish

- binned -
Skilled
Link: http://here.com/download/?lang=en-US

After enjoying a brief period of exclusivity on the Samsung Apps Store, Nokia has made the Android version of its HERE mapping application available for everyone with a compatible smartphone.

Although HERE has not yet shed the “beta” label, the app seems quite polished; when we tested the APK that leaked last month, our favorite features – extensive offline support and speed limit monitoring, mostly – worked flawlessly.

Other HERE capabilities include turn-by-turn navigation, live traffic info, and public transport maps and directions. Not all function without issue, though. For instance, Nokia notes that “cache cleaning” apps wipe navigational voices. A few bugs clearly remain, but isn’t that what beta testing is for?

HERE requires Android 4.1+, and is available for download from Nokia’s website.

Source: http://www.droid-life.com/2014/10/21/nokia-here-maps-beta-now-available-for-download-by-all/

Last edited:
Still in Beta, once all the bugs are ironed out, may be it will be released. For my liking, HERE works pretty well without any FCs

Yep, it's available for all other androids too. You just need to side load it. Installed on my Acer tab and it's working great! Next stop Redmi 1S, also after losing Nokia hardware feels sad that we lost such a good device maker-in here maps Nokia lives on.....

http://360.here.com/2015/02/12/here-android-updated-improved/
Today we release a new version of the HERE for Android with some significant improvements, new features and bug fixes. After more than 3 million downloads, we’re losing the ‘beta’ label with this version, as the app is now mature and stable enough to stand as a full production release: look at our app, all grown up!
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.here.app.maps
What's New
• We added interactive 3D maps of shopping malls and airports in 70 countries
• You can tap on any place icon on the map to see more about it or how to get there
• Traffic incidents show you what’s causing the jam before you have to find out in person
• You can now download maps in the background — no need to wait for them to finish
• You can now also download voices to your SD card
• We adjusted the volume so you can hear turn-by-turn directions more clearly

Will it work without simcard on Andriod too? like in Lumias? We have three modes of Location in Android
1. Device only (use GPS to determine location)
2. Batter saving (Use Wi-Fi and cellular networks to determine location)
3. High accuracy (Use GPS, Wi-Fi and cellular networks to determine location)

Which of these will incur charges from network operator when used with HERE maps? I heavily rely on google maps to go any where in city (HYD), but it needs active data connection and high accuracy mode, so just wondering whether I can use HERE maps in offline mode without spending a penny.

Will it work without simcard on Andriod too? like in Lumias? We have three modes of Location in Android
1. Device only (use GPS to determine location)
2. Batter saving (Use Wi-Fi and cellular networks to determine location)
3. High accuracy (Use GPS, Wi-Fi and cellular networks to determine location)

Which of these will incur charges from network operator when used with HERE maps? I heavily rely on google maps to go any where in city (HYD), but it needs active data connection and high accuracy mode, so just wondering whether I can use HERE maps in offline mode without spending a penny.
Yes. You may download offline maps (of the world or only your state only) and keep data off. Not tried without sim though.

Good one.

Any idea if we can download the maps from PC and then transfer to our phone? (The good old nokia trick)

Or if we couldn't, then can we at least take a backup of our maps even if they get download on the phone itself?

**Can the maps save/download location be defined during downloads...SD card or Internal memory??

Good one.

Any idea if we can download the maps from PC and then transfer to our phone? (The good old nokia trick)

Or if we couldn't, then can we at least take a backup of our maps even if they get download on the phone itself?

**Can the maps save/download location be defined during downloads...SD card or Internal memory??
I don't think first option is possible but honestly I have not tried. You can definitely move maps once internal memory to SD card post download not sure if download location cab be set to SD card pre download.

I have downloaded maps and the files are present in android/data/com.here.app.maps. Not sure how you can download these to PC? some android virtualization?

How? By just copying the files in android/data/com.here.app.maps?
yup
the torrent is some 1.4gb zip.
first install the here maps .
select destination to save your maps
go in that destination to replace the content of the folder.
after that do a trial navigation run, which will then ask to install the voice guidance files.

periodically, map updates can be installed, so impending data costs should be minimal.

Back