Apple Announces iPhone 5S With 64bit CPU, Fingerprint Scanner

RoBoGhOsT

Perambulating
Skilled
Apple has announced its new iPhone 5S along with the cheaper iPhone 5C today at its keynote.

The iPhone 5S is made of high-grade aluminum with chamfered edges and comes in three colors - Gold, Silver and Black.

It comes with faster Apple A7 processor which is first 64 bit chip to be used on a smartphone. The new iOS 7 uses 64 bit architecture including all Apple apps. The processor is said to be over twice as fast as A6 processor and Graphics are said to be up to 56x faster. The new GPU supports OpenGL ES 3.0 also.
Camera-

The 5S comes with a new iSight five-element Apple lens with f/2.2 aperture and 15% larger sensor. It uses 15micron pixel size for better image quality. While taking images, it takes multiple pictures and picks the sharpest of them.

The flash is dual-LED with two tones - cool white and warm amber, the camera combines both to balance the color tone when using flash.

The camera can also capture slow motion videos at 720p resolution and 120fps. It captures panorama pictures at up to 28MP resolution.
Touch ID -

As rumored, the iPhone 5S comes with a finger print reader and the feature is called Touch ID. The Touch ID sensor which is built into ring around home button senses at 500 ppi and even scans your sub-epidermal skin layers.

Touching the home button will unlock the phone, using the fingerprint scanner. The fingerprint is safe, not saved on Apple servers or available to other apps.
Pricing

The iPhone 5S will be priced at $199, $299 and $399 for the 16GB , 32GB and 64GB version respectively on a 2 year contract. It will go on pre-order on September 13th and on sale on September 20th in US, Australia, Canada, etc. Other countries will get it by December 2013.

Source

In the pricing , u have mentioned 5C instead of 5S .!!

Don't think anyone would buy the 5C which is only 100$ less compared to the much faster 5S with finger print ,etc

^^A typo I guess.

This isn't a phone aimed at the developing market, but just a way to increase the markup on their older models. One of the reasons why they are discontinuing iPhone 5 from today, since the 5C will be almost the same and with premium build.

^^A typo I guess.

This isn't a phone aimed at the developing market, but just a way to increase the markup on their older models. One of the reasons why they are discontinuing iPhone 5 from today, since the 5C will be almost the same and with premium build.

Ummm plastic is not premium!

Ummm plastic is not premium!
The Lumia 920 and 1020 will disagree with you. Plastic can be premium too. There are different grades of plastic, and which one they use will decide whether it is a premium build or not. A few generations behind, I think the 3G, the iPhone was made of plastic body.

The Lumia 920 and 1020 will disagree with you. Plastic can be premium too. There are different grades of plastic, and which one they use will decide whether it is a premium build or not. A few generations behind, I think the 3G, the iPhone was made of plastic body.
I meant in comparison to the Iphone 5...

The actual term is polycarbonate and indeed it has been executed pretty well on the Lumia devices esp. the newer ones (x20/x25 series). The best part is, the color isn't a separately applied layer and runs throughout the material. So in the event of a small scuff or a dent, it is not readily visible to the naked eye.

Whereas the anodised Alu. on the iPh has a coating atop the material and a scratch would expose a mark there.

Direct competition with lumia 920
Not really. The Lumia is great, but the iPhone is in a different league altogether, and will sell more in a month than the total number of Lumia 920s sold so far. Different phones for different people, but Apple has ecosystem and brand advantage. They have good build quality and service arrangements too.

Its competition is with the top-tier Android phones as of now, such as the GS4, HTC One, Moto X, upcoming Nexus, etc. WP has a lot of catching to do; in its current state it only suits the basic users.

I think this time Apple has really outdone themselves with the new 5s. Plenty of nice upgrades over competition.

I think this time Apple has really outdone themselves with the new 5s. Plenty of nice upgrades over competition.

May be. But one needs to check whether they need those features to be worthy of upgrade to 5S. If someone is owning the iPhone 4S then i personally see no reason to go for iPhone 5S. But then there are people who upgrade frequently.

I have an iPhone 5. I see no reason to upgrade. Frankly, I don't change my phones that often.
Same here the iphone 5 looks almost same like iphone 5s
On ios 7 it will work like a charm..
Will take a Apple care on my phone and use it till something Good Comes..
Iphone 5 still is a Good Phone compare to that Plastic 5c what they have launched..
Apple just wants to milk money,there is no innovation we should say Had a WOW factor..

Same here, have iPad 2 but i may not install iOS 7 unless it gets jailbroken. I use iPad for downloading torrents a lot so cannot afford to lose the jailbreak.

May be. But one needs to check whether they need those features to be worthy of upgrade to 5S. If someone is owning the iPhone 4S then i personally see no reason to go for iPhone 5S. But then there are people who upgrade frequently.

True that. With software being upgradable on phones, that takes care of most of things/features. Also your 4S being an Apple product you can be sure, that new OS won't struggle on your phone.

However, I really like the idea of motion coprocessor which is also power saving and Multi-tone LED Flash. Waiting for some android manufacturer to copy it :D (being an android user myself)

Good innovations shouldn't be limited to Brands. Apple does that too :)

However, only after the reviews come we would know if all these things are worthwhile or not.

Back