Laptops Apple Begs for Mercy, Asks Microsoft to Stop Airing Laptop Hunter Ads

MAGNeT

Skilled
"Hey, you need to stop running those ads, we lowered our prices."

The battle between Microsoft and Apple has been a long and arduous one. Until the turn of the century, Apple wasn't much of a threat to Microsoft's bottom line. However, the rise of the iPod music player, the iPhone, Apple's resurgence with its Mac computers, and the resultant "Get a Mac" commercials have been a thorn in Microsoft's side.

Microsoft sat on the sidelines for years as Apple fired away at the stability, reliability, and lack of "user friendliness" with PCs. Apple labeled PCs are virus-prone machines and burned Windows Vista at the stake. Finally, this past April, Microsoft fired back with all its might on the one thing that Apple couldn't argue with when it comes to Macs versus PCs: price.

A series of Laptop Hunter ads made waves on television and on the internet which showed PC-based notebooks as offering a better value for the money while Macs were labeled as "pretty, but expensive". After the first few commercials aired, Apple spokesman Bill Evans issued the following statement, "A PC is no bargain when it doesn't do what you want. The one thing that both Apple and Microsoft can agree on is that everyone thinks the Mac is cool. With its great designs and advanced software, nothing matches it at any price."

It now appears that Apple is even more concerned about the continued Laptop Hunter ads. In fact, if Microsoft COO Kevin Turner's recounting is accurate, Apple's legal department is more than a bit peeved at the commercials. Turner noted at Microsoft's Worldwide Partner Conference:

And so we've been running these PC value ads. Just giving people saying, hey, what are you looking to spend? "Oh, I'm looking to spend less than $1,000." Well we'll give you $1,000. Go in and look and see what you can buy. And they come out and they just show them. Those are completely unscripted commercials.

And you know why I know they're working? Because two weeks ago we got a call from the Apple legal department saying, hey -- this is a true story -- saying, "Hey, you need to stop running those ads, we lowered our prices." They took like $100 off or something. It was the greatest single phone call in the history that I've ever taken in business.

I did cartwheels down the hallway. At first I said, "Is this a joke? Who are you?" Not understanding what an opportunity. And so we're just going to keep running them and running them and running them.

Apple is correct about its lowered pricing. With its latest MacBook Pro refresh, it lowered the price of entry for its 15" and 17" models by $300. It also introduced the new 13" MacBook Pro at a price $100 lower than its predecessor. However, the cheapest way to get an Apple notebook is still going to cost you $999 -- that gets you a polycarbonate 13" MacBook running at 2.13GHz.

So even though Mac computers are across the board cheaper than in the past, Microsoft still has a free pass to tout the “lower price, better value†angle. And from the looks of Turner’s comments, Microsoft appears to be content in running the Laptop Hunter ad campaign for a long time – just like Apple with its “Get a Mac†series.

AD

YouTube - Laptop Hunters $700 Matt and Olivia get an HP dv7

DailyTech - Apple Begs for Mercy, Asks Microsoft to Stop Airing Laptop Hunter Ads

never used a mac before.. but i always wonder what do they have in them.. are they way better??? i am a pc guy for now.. for sure..

btw really loved these ads.. wonder if they'll run the same campaign in india. .. :p

lounge said:
never used a mac before.. but i always wonder what do they have in them.. are they way better??? i am a pc guy for now.. for sure..

btw really loved these ads.. wonder if they'll run the same campaign in india. .. :p

Even i have no clue what MAC has inside (software wise), have just clicked here and there once or twice when i went to Croma for some window shopping. But my cousin who was doing a mass communication course and used to be forefront in movie editing and making his short movies swears by MAC

raksrules said:
Even i have no clue what MAC has inside (software wise), have just clicked here and there once or twice when i went to Croma for some window shopping. But my cousin who was doing a mass communication course and used to be forefront in movie editing and making his short movies swears by MAC

I have seen professionals(whom i have seen) inorder to show they are highly skilled shows mac.....but when any problem arises call enginers who charge 1k per visit......personal experience....seen at photographers who shoot portfolio.....

When i went inside their lab they use a windows for PS and editing than copy the disc and run on mac and say see how vibrant it looks on mac...etc etc

i find it more of a propaganda this mac thing than actual difference.. people when they swear by mac they talk almost like as if they are racist or what.. one guy, my cleint said i only work with people who have mac.. mac is a religion in my country.. i wanted to punch him in nose that moment..

i am not biased about macs but these crazy people piss me off by such comments.. and when i try and know their real technical expertise over computers as a whole they are normally jackasses..

i was confused when i wanted to buy my first laptop that wheather to get a mac book or pc laptop.. i researched a lot and with genuine interest in macs, but i found their worth is blown way out of proportion.. as if their is a mac lobby one should get into or else you are LS..

this is stupid.. every pc or mac has its own use and worth.. totally depends how you use it and for what you use it..

now i have 2 conclusions, either the macs are really really great or the mac community is really really lunatic.. i am leaning towards the later conclusion though.. but can't say unless i own a mac myself..

will get one soon.. :)

Back