Apple Inc. is now a US $1 Trillion company

Everyone who's not running a Trillion dollar company, has an opinion
well, there is only 1 comp with triilion so not everybody can make claims. But thats what we are here for right - for opinions? History is proof that companies, which did not listen to critics and did not innovate failed - Kodak, polariod, blockbuster - they were all one time greats!

am yet to see any camera (including professional cameras) do that below 1000USD. this is mainly because of the apple chip which blows all the other ARM including snapdragon out of the water.
Well isn't S9 one. And this comparison to professional camera is flawed, no professional cameramen is throwing off their DSLR and hugging iphones, there is much in professional camera than with slo mo. Its like the old saying my phone has superior processor than a space rocket launched to Moon!
Don't get me wrong, iphone definitely has better package, but its not just processor, its got also to do with image sensor of Sony. In my opinion, Samsung building their own hardware ecosystem - Isocell image sensor is on par with Sony - will come up much better in near future

no professional cameramen is throwing off their DSLR and hugging iphones
There is a saying in the street photography world that the best camera that you have is the one that you have it on you. I say again... show me a dslr which is <1000usd and shoots 1080p at 240fps and I will buy it tomorrow and post the pics here.

I say again... show me a dslr which is <1000usd and shoots 1080p at 240fps
DSLR are not suited or recommended for motion. Just so you asked, Sony Rx100v does upto 960fps and is just below magic usd 1k. However, before you head out to buy do consider Rx 10 II, slightly more but better in value compartively

DSLR are not suited or recommended for motion. Just so you asked, Sony Rx100v does upto 960fps and is just below magic usd 1k. However, before you head out to buy do consider Rx 10 II, slightly more but better in value compartively
not dslr. I have an A7ii, and I searched. and trust me there is no dslr to do that. atleast without an attached mortgage loan.

well, there is only 1 comp with triilion so not everybody can make claims. But thats what we are here for right - for opinions? History is proof that companies, which did not listen to critics and did not innovate failed - Kodak, polariod, blockbuster - they were all one time greats!
Hearing that for a decade now. Perhaps its time critics try to understand what Apple does right.

Here is a simple story from yesterday.

My dad is visiting and we had gone out for a day trip
When we returned, he asked me if we could view today's pics on a big screen.
Now my personal preference for all end-user-computing devices is Apple but he uses Android

Fear not, I think to myself - this kind of use case was the very reason I had a chromecast plugged in to my AVR for the last several years practically unused..
So I try screen casting to the chromecast from his phone - First attempt - Failed; second attempt - connected but no image
Fine, let's try something else - So I try casting from the gallery app this time and voila, It works .. Swiping to next pic, it kind of works but with a couple of seconds lag and initial pixellation settling into a viewable pic
On the fourth pick, he ask me to zoom into the pic - pixellation, more pixellation - oops , connection drops!

Giving up, I switch to the Apple TV and my phone - near zero lag, instant swipes and instant zoom

Now I know that some of you may say that I should have tried App A instead of stock google photos or maybe tweaked setting B on my chromecast to reduce latency or maybe even SSH into the chromecast to edit a config file that increases the cache size

But that to me is exactly the reason why people globally tend to prefer Apple - Their products are far from flawless and do include a premium (albeit minor - smartphones/laptops with equivalent config/quality are very nearly the same or close in price)
But they work , at least most of the time, without issues or bugs - And that's something most people value and put a premium on.

PS: Those who know me probably know that I am mostly platform agnostic and try to keep my ecosystem open to all possible combinations
Thus every single tech setup in my house tries to play nice with whatever platform may be in use.

[DOUBLEPOST=1533497271][/DOUBLEPOST]Everyone who's not running a Trillion dollar company, has an opinion about the guys running a Trillion dollar company, and how they should run it. If you guys are so smart, create a Trillion dollar company of your own. :p
Ad hominem .this argument will work for anything :p You dont like so and so party? If youre so smart why dont you form a party yourself? You dont like Harley bikes? Then if you're so smart, why don't you create your own bike company? :p

Fear not, I think to myself - this kind of use case was the very reason I had a chromecast plugged in to my AVR for the last several years practically unused..
So I try screen casting to the chromecast from his phone - First attempt - Failed; second attempt - connected but no image
Fine, let's try something else - So I try casting from the gallery app this time and voila, It works .. Swiping to next pic, it kind of works but with a couple of seconds lag and initial pixellation settling into a viewable pic
On the fourth pick, he ask me to zoom into the pic - pixellation, more pixellation - oops , connection drops!

Giving up, I switch to the Apple TV and my phone - near zero lag, instant swipes and instant zoom
user experience matters most. I tried installing youtube app on my iphone so that I could cast it to my roku tv. you know you can watch a lot of regional movies on youtube. I gave up and uninstalled youtube app from both roku and phone because of the ad cancer in the youtube app. now I play the youtube videos directly on the safari and then cast them on to the apple tv. no in between ads for the entire length of movie. The ads just destroy the viewing experience every 15 mins.

Their latest on the S9 isn't very consistent for battery.
True and they (Samsung) are also so back in vareity of things, like i still don't understand why they developed touchwiz in the first place. But what you should give it to them is their penchant for research and innovation, e.g hit ones like ssd, oled, camera. Hit and miss on procy, tablets and absolutely horrible on UI, heavy diversification of models (A, C, J, On, S, Z and more with unique name)...seriously, even a restaurant with those different kind of menu of dishes would not last ;-)

Ad hominem .this argument will work for anything :p You dont like so and so party? If youre so smart why dont you form a party yourself? You dont like Harley bikes? Then if you're so smart, why don't you create your own bike company? :p
I knew that going in. But it had to be said. This started with the launch of iphones when apple was nowhere, and now that its a trillion dollar company, it still exists. People just dont get that Apple sells cause it does a lot of things right.

Here is a simple story from yesterday.

My dad is visiting and we had gone out for a day trip
When we returned, he asked me if we could view today's pics on a big screen.
Now my personal preference for all end-user-computing devices is Apple but he uses Android

Now I know that some of you may say that I should have tried App A instead of stock google photos or maybe tweaked setting B on my chromecast to reduce latency or maybe even SSH into the chromecast to edit a config file that increases the cache size

But that to me is exactly the reason why people globally tend to prefer Apple - Their products are far from flawless and do include a premium (albeit minor - smartphones/laptops with equivalent config/quality are very nearly the same or close in price)
But they work , at least most of the time, without issues or bugs - And that's something most people value and put a premium on.

PS: Those who know me probably know that I am mostly platform agnostic and try to keep my ecosystem open to all possible combinations
Thus every single tech setup in my house tries to play nice with whatever platform may be in use.
Amen to that. Its like others design a product but never test it for actual use.

In my opinion, the pile of cash if not invested in innovation will soon rot away. I have yet to hear what Apple has produced New - except that UFO building! If they are still trying to play secretive games, the world now is collabrative - unless that Apple Car comes in soon, the iPhone will start becoming what Phone?

Totally agreed. Will only be a waste if they don't invest in making better and more innovative products.

Everyone who's not running a Trillion dollar company, has an opinion about the guys running a Trillion dollar company, and how they should run it. If you guys are so smart, create a Trillion dollar company of your own.

What logic. You make it sound like what Apple is doing a perfect job to be a Trillion dollar company. A slight-OT comparison with another thing but still a similar comparison nonetheless: politics. Just because someone gets elected in an assembly constituency, does it mean he did everything properly to get that stature? I highly doubt it. So will you tell critics to run for the assembly themselves?
There have been several discussions on this forum why Apple even though they are no longer innovative like they used to be, it's still a very popular product/brand. It's mainly because of that "commanding premium" thing. I don't remember who but someone here said it and I agree. I'm not saying Apple products are not good. My point is even when Apple makes an inferior product people are still going to buy it and worse other companies are going to follow suit. Because Apple has become such a huge brand now even though they make shitty products. And their paid influencers will do anything just for the money. This is also why I don't trust the big YouTubers out there and why I follow them only for the news.
Have you even seen Linus's problems with that Mac screen? And Apple's reaction/reply? Fanboys were kissing Apple's ass everywhere and even went to the extent of praising Apple wtf.
Here, the works and accomplishments of their marketing team must be applauded. Most of the credits should go to them. Because it is them who are actually making people buy Apple products even though their products are ridiculous. Eg. iPhone X "innovative features", Mac Pro pricing and festures etc.
So I will have to completely disagree that Apple has become a Trillion Dollar company because of your-so-called "right reasons."
1. Apple's revenue model is not based on ad revenues. which is why I kind of trust them about their privacy.

4. the tight control over app permissions another thing that I really appreciate on ios. I just notifications on all apps unless I actually need them. works really well for me.
Half of the reasons you gave have nothing to do with "privacy", just ads.
To counter 1: there was an article years ago about the cost of building an iPhone. I don't remember the exact numbers involved but it said something like an iPhone cost $X to manufacture and this iPhone get sold for 3-4x the manufacturing cost. So with such huge profits why would Apple need ads? If they have ads it's only going to be just another Android product with better design and premium price and people will hardly be interested. Maybe their intention had always been to not force ads and instead charge premium for it. This way even some users (like yourself) will prefer it even if it cost more.
To counter 2: while Android doesn't have a blanket permission feature, some apps don't ask/need permissions to be usable. And users just need to look for better apps (if any). Even if that is not possible Android phones can be rooted which is one of their best aspects imo.

Last edited:
Half of the reasons you gave have nothing to do with "privacy", just ads.
Ad agencies collect private data. isn't that obvious?

To counter 1: there was an article years ago about the cost of building an iPhone. I don't remember the exact numbers involved but it said something like an iPhone cost $X to manufacture and this iPhone get sold for 3-4x the manufacturing cost. So with such huge profits why would Apple need ads? If they have ads it's only going to be just another Android product with better design and premium price and people will hardly be interested. Maybe their intention had always been to not force ads and instead charge premium for it. This way even some users (like yourself) will prefer it even if it cost more.
BOM price is not manufacturing cost. anyways isnt this true for every flagship phone? last time I checked samsung s9 was some 700usd even though they make their own displays. by your logic samsungs should've been a lot cheaper.

To counter 2: while Android doesn't have a blanket permission feature, some apps don't ask/need permissions to be usable. And users just need to look for better apps (if any). Even if that is not possible Android phones can be rooted which is one of their best aspects imo.
I have seen many android apps forcing user to enable permissions before even starting. the user experience of enabling individual permissions is much better on ios. Now, coming to the rooted phones; tell me how many custom roms are stable? making the BSP closed source is the shittiest thing they allowed in android. I tried compiling my own kernel couple of times but it doesnt work just because the BSP is not compatible with the new kernel so you end up stuck to the vendor supplied kernel.
To give an example; if I want to enable my own iptable rules (my own adblock) with contrack (connection tracking) and other kernel modules, I cant compile the kernel because it wont work with the BSP.
On the other hand, I dont want to install a ROM from some nobody on the internet. They could even run a miner as a rootkit and I would never know.

Which model phone does your dad use ?

The reasn apple mostly works is because the test sample is tiny and easy to iron out bugs. Compared to a large galaxy of phones whose only common denominator is android but whose vendors like to fiddle with specs for no good reason. See fast charging and how many ways there are.

Since you mentioned this i was chatting with someone in the states that uses a Sony XZ1 compact. Won't work with chromecast at all.

The UK variant of the same model however works just fine. Why this difference exists is perplexing. I can't think of any hardware that would be missing on an otherwise premium phone. With lower end models there is always the chance they are using generic radios which are not certified by either the Wifi alliance or the BT SIG. Yeah, generics mostly work except when they do not.

Not clear to me whether people here are using the same version of chromecast, the second one might play better than the first. It's dual stream wifi for a start so i'd expect faster response meaning faster transfers with similarly equipped dual stream phones. Also it supports AC which Mk.1 did not.

Last edited:
Would suggest mod to close this thread. Supposed to be an informative thread but again sliding towards Apple vs Android arguments !!

Which model phone does your dad use ?

The reasn apple mostly works is because the test sample is tiny and easy to iron out bugs. Compared to a large galaxy of phones whose only common denominator is android but whose vendors like to fiddle with specs for no good reason. See fast charging and how many ways there are.
He uses one of the recent Motorolas - can't recollect the model #
What you say is True.. But the net result is that for the Apple end user, they get something that works OOTB for the most part in return for a small upfront premium..

Most end users wouldn't know what to do when they face a bug.. and even those who may know what to try and attempt; beyond a certain age and income threshold, they would rather not bother.

There is one more aspect - even when software vendors have full control over hardware, they often are not able to get all their ducks in a row to iron out conflicts and bugs -A surface Pro 4 that I have is plagued by pretty much the same hardware conflict/driver related bugs that any typical generic windows laptop has..

Since you mentioned this i was chatting with someone in the states that uses a Sony XZ1 compact. Won't work with chromecast at all.

The UK variant of the same model however works just fine. Why this difference exists is perplexing. I can't think of any hardware that would be missing on an otherwise premium phone. With lower end models there is always the chance they are using generic radios which are not certified by either the Wifi alliance or the BT SIG. Yeah, generics mostly work except when they do not.

Not clear to me whether people here are using the same version of chromecast, the second one might play better than the first. It's dual stream wifi for a start so i'd expect faster response meaning faster transfers with similarly equipped dual stream phones. Also it supports AC which Mk.1 did not.
Indeed, there really shouldn't be any reason for such differences -the end result however is predictable: People end up buying a device based on some reviews but some minor differences in their eco-system result in either flawed performance (like for me) or no go at all.

Now contrast this with Apple - I have three Airport Expresses from 2009 and 2012 (mk1) and 2014 (mk2)
All have been re-purposed for multiple things over time and all 3 are currently doing active duty as airplay receivers in my porch, kitchen and BR now.
Each one connects flawlessly with older as well as newer iOS and OS X devices and never need so much as a restart

That being said, I should clarify that while I strongly prefer iOS and OS X for my front end stack, I have a strong preference for Linux in any flavor for my home Back-End /Middleware stack or for that matter anything that you expect to run 24X7 with no thick client GUI requirement

I can live with Android as my mobile front end but have a strong abhorrence for Windows for a desktop/laptop - I find it way too crufty and inelegant and buggy in its current avatar

Last edited:
Supposed to be an informative thread but again sliding towards Apple vs Android arguments
Agree. But lets not close the thread, but lets talk about what Apple can do better. My thoughts: concentrate on things ypu already own but forgotten. Like Focus on making Airplay and facetime more enterprise like - boost video conferencing with something like Airplay integration to calendar like Skype meeting, Apple is great in making technologies intuitive. Sell Apple procy chips to TV manufacturers to encourage installing IOS and thereby making airplay seamless for content consumption and facetime without requiring additional hardware like AppleTV. There is still not a seamless way in Android world - DLNA is around so long but suffers from running smoothly, Samsung and Like of Kodi have answers but they are hits and misses, apart from BubbleUPNP, no other app works best for streaming content from phone to TV. Think about future - VR in all its glory suffers from development from companies who have no idea about user experience, see the latest Magic Leap. VR, in my opinion is a technology that will fade like the hype of 3D, instead invest in Holograms that will not require amynody to strap in ridiculous glasses and can be simultaneously visible to multiple people instead of just 1 - Yes inspired by Avatar!

Would suggest mod to close this thread. Supposed to be an informative thread but again sliding towards Apple vs Android arguments !!
Nah, just normal discussions otherwise it would be just another pro-Apple praising forum where people only do the praising. Thread is going fine.

Ad agencies collect private data. isn't that obvious?
Lets be specific, its browser data. It's bad yes but not as bad as the apps seeking deep permission.
BOM price is not manufacturing cost. anyways isnt this true for every flagship phone? last time I checked samsung s9 was some 700usd even though they make their own displays. by your logic samsungs should've been a lot cheaper.
Yes it should be. But Samsung is not doing fine at all. Too many similar products and prices much higher than their competitions. How many phones did Samsung sell last/this quarter/year? Exactly. But again Samsung is also one of the top brands courtesy of their marketing and service centres. I've personally researched this and came to the conclusion that people buy Samsung because: 1. Well known brand. 2. Widely available everywhere. 3. Service centres are there in nearly every town. These are the main reasons which make people go for Samsung whether it's low end range or high end range. Only the "smarter" ones or people with lower budget go for other brands like Xiaomi, Oppo etc. But still then Samsung is not doing so well now.
I have seen many android apps forcing user to enable permissions before even starting.
Yes, you're not wrong. And hence why I don't install those apps. Only the very "necessary" ones. Could we blame only the apps devs if people knowingly give them access?
Saying all these in a world where data is everything and there's politics even in the electronic and technological industry and money makes a lot of deals I still do not believe that Apple doesn't "sell data." Maybe it's only me just being paranoid about this.
Anyway, Apple didn't become a $1T company because they make the best products. Often things are more than what meets the eye. Or something. You can do all this only if you have a cult of following. And I'm not referring to the Apple product owners here but the die-hard ones who will do anything to have an iProduct and harp praises no matter what. These are the people who are the obsessed ones and financing the company.
FYI I like the smaller iPhones ~4.5"-4.7". They are very comfortable to hold and use. But feature wise my primary phone would still be a pure Android phone.

Back