Apple iPhone 6S and 6S+ launched in India, Starts at 62k (16GB)

Status
Not open for further replies.

swatkats

Skilled
1htkcFP.jpg

Indian launch is expected to be around OCTOBER 16th.

As ars rightly pointed out...

About that 16GB model:

Ars Technica readers are generally pretty savvy, and most of you would never turn down extra storage for apps and movies that you've downloaded. But there's one thing that everyone uses their phone for, even if they spend little time on the App Store and stream absolutely everything—pictures. People take pictures. They take movies. They did it before smartphones existed, and now that smartphone cameras are actually pretty good they do it even more.

We've been complaining about the 16GB iPhone base model for a while now. iOS 9's space-saving features and lower pricing for cloud storage are Apple's official solutions to the problem, but the iPhone 6S-series cameras are going to make those entry-level phones feel more restrictive than they did before. You can't upgrade to 12MP photos (with extra frames for the Live Photos feature, no less, which by some accounts doubles the size of a standard picture) and 4K video without eating up more storage, but the iPhone 6S' local storage didn't grow to accommodate the new capabilities.

The only real justification for keeping the base iPhone at 16GB is financial. Bump it to 32GB, and you'll get fewer upgraders to the 64GB and 128GB tiers. As far as the company's bottom line is concerned, it makes sense for Apple to incentivize those upgrades. Using iCloud storage along with the iCloud Photo Library can alleviate this, since it stores the full-resolution photos in the cloud but can keep smaller, "good enough for your phone" versions locally. But from a user's perspective it's hard to see why Apple can't go from 16GB to 32GB at the same price—it managed to go from 32GB to 64GB and from 64GB to 128GB without raising prices.

The new Apple TV starts at 32GB. The iPad Pro starts at 32GB. It's time for the iPhone (and, for that matter, all the other iPads) follow suit.
http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/0...-6s-plus-and-why-the-16gb-model-needs-to-die/

At $1=66rupees, 16Gb 6S model make costs Apple Rs.16,100($245) up from Rs. 13,100 ($200) for the iPhone6
stJlxx0.jpg

Known Issues:

iPhones 6S battery life 'varies by up to two hours depending on chip supplier'

TSMC and Samsung make chips for iPhone 6S and 6S Plus, but power consumption varies markedly, according to user reports

http://www.theguardian.com/technolo...attery-life-varies-depending-on-chip-supplier

iPhone 6s complaints continue as phones randomly shut down
http://pocketnow.com/2015/10/07/iphone-6s-complaints-2

6S pricing US unlocked (A1688)

India launch price:

Tfw9whk.png

Buy here: http://www.amazon.in/Apple-iPhone-6s-Rose-Gold/dp/B0168L23VS?
http://www.infibeam.com/Mobiles/apple-iphone-6s/P-mobi-52685543939-cat-z.html

Last edited:
I'm sure there will be a huge army of people ready to defend the smaller capacity battery saying that iPhones can sail through an entire day or more with that much. That might be true, but there is really no harm in having a larger capacity battery. When similar sized devices can accommodate at least 50% more capacity, why not this (unless there is some restriction due the the internal design)?

As for the 16GB version, I'd say 16GB devices without microSD expansion should die as a whole, whether it is Android or iPhone or Windows. Cloud storage is not a reality, at least in India and at least for the foreseeable future.

Apple's weird with the iPhone's battery. Every other iDevice has stellar battery life but the battery life on the iPhone just defies logic. It may do well in "battery tests" but the real life usage is frankly quite sad.

5S was fine with 1GB RAM. But with 6, for heavy users 1GB isn't enough. As screen got bigger it made sense to have 2GB Ram. So it's even worse with 6S with just 1GB RAM.

and yeah, 16GB is a joke on 6S.

More than Memory, Battery capacity is a big let down. I have no doubts that it will power the phone for 10 hours under normal usage.
Looking at recent android phones giving easy 1 day battery backup under normal circumstances, 6s is a Total downer.

I know i can run 99.9% of apps smoothly without any issues and do multi tasking lag free. These bastards are good at this.

Buy 16Gb get fedup and buy a 64Gb. This is called Baiting the customer.

This isn't really a upgrade. Even, Investors are unhappy.

Apple's weird with the iPhone's battery. Every other iDevice has stellar battery life but the battery life on the iPhone just defies logic. It may do well in "battery tests" but the real life usage is frankly quite sad.
The only reason why i sold my i6 and went to moto g3 for time being until i go to nexus 5 2015 ( though I don't have high hopes for it aswell) and moto g3 is impressing me in alot of ways.

More than Memory, Battery capacity is a big let down. I have no doubts that it will power the phone for 10 hours under normal usage.
Looking at recent android phones giving easy 1 day battery backup under normal circumstances, 6s is a Total downer.

I know i can run 99.9% of apps smoothly without any issues and do multi tasking lag free. These bastards are good at this.

Buy 16Gb get fedup and buy a 64Gb. This is called Baiting the customer.

This isn't really a upgrade. Even, Investors are unhappy.
Kindly Edit the Word "BASTARDS"

Last edited:
Yep they have 2GB ram. But frankly, even with 1GB ram on 5s and 6 , I've been using them for a long time and never experienced any lag. Apple's product on 1gb ram gives very good competition to Android devices on 2-3GB ram.
Apple has never been about the numbers.
Their targets are not the tech savvy but the average consumers. And that is why they sell the maximum number of phones.

Let's not start Android Vs iOS or Samsung vs Apple war here. Please can we please stick to the topic.

Yep they have 2GB ram. But frankly, even with 1GB ram on 5s and 6 , I've been using them for a long time and never experienced any lag. Apple's product on 1gb ram gives very good competition to Android devices on 2-3GB ram.
Their targets are not the tech savvy but the average consumers. And that is why they sell the maximum number of phones.
Even today i see people lazy people running nearly 15 apps on iPhone 5 and it still runs smoothly. No lag.
These guys know what goes in where and how to make it function flawlessly.. Frankly, I had never been a fan of phones with Gimmicky huge numbers 3,4Gb RAM :p

I guess 4S isn't getting iOS9 this time??

You sound like people who create and sell Apple products are immortals.
I don't agree with that RAM argument. IOS doesn't need more RAM is something like

"3.5 - 4 inch is the max optimum screen size for any phone "

" our rivals are experimenting with 5 + inch screen sizes on phones God knows what they're upto "

" The fact that the device needs a stylus means, it's a failure "

These are the past quotes from the renowned founder of Apple. Now Apple is copying the rivals, experimenting with screen sizes, reintroduced Stylus etc.

Why Apple didn't feel the necessity to adding extra RAM in iOS devices because : it manufactured them solely for content consumption. Ipad Pro gets 4gb RAM & Stylus because it's a first iOS device designed towards content Creation. Had ipad sales not dipped consistently they wouldn't have felt the need to reinvent the iPad and focus on content creation. CNET editor quotes, people who are happy with 1gb RAM & 16gb storage on a Smartphone, probably don't need the smartphone in the first place.

The reason Apple doesn't want to compete in number game because it knows it'll be crushed severely by many companies with more cheaper access to hardware, especially Chinese and Korean companies.

Apple wants to dictate how people use the device too, the reason android is popular today is because many of the human beings resist being treated like sheep.

BTW for my requirements I need to use one iOS device on daily basis, along with Android phone, I usually buy the "S" versions, it was 4s, 5s now mostly I'll be getting 6s plus.

" The fact that the device needs a stylus means, it's a failure "

These are the past quotes from the renowned founder of Apple. Now Apple is copying the rivals, experimenting with screen sizes, reintroduced Stylus etc.
The context was different when steve jobs said that. Back then mobiles where coming with resistive touch screens and styluses. And you needed it always for proper functioning.[DOUBLEPOST=1441967089][/DOUBLEPOST]
CNET editor quotes, people who are happy with 1gb RAM & 16gb storage on a Smartphone, probably don't need the smartphone in the first place.
This is very wrong. 16GB storage is okay for 5/5S. But for 6/6S cos of camera, screen size etc.

The context was different when steve jobs said that. Back then mobiles where coming with resistive touch screens and styluses. And you needed it always for proper functioning.[DOUBLEPOST=1441967089][/DOUBLEPOST]
This is very wrong. 16GB storage is okay for 5/5S. But for 6/6S cos of camera, screen size etc.

What do you mean, resistive touch doesn't need Stylus & nowadays capacitative touch needs a Stylus?

Why can't they simply ascertain the fact that fingers are OK as far as content consumption is a priority but the precision of Stylus is required when content creation is a priority. We at Apple have decided to design the iPad for content creation needs & stop designing them as stupid appliances. We leave the freedom of choice to the end user and make it capable for handling every possible task. (it was from my own experience, ease of creating a ppt on a galaxy 10.1 tab vs ipad air).

BTW I'm not a Apple hater, but I just don't like the way they take their consumers for granted (stupid).

The CNET editor remark was about 16gb capacity of iPhone 6s, not for the previous versions (a flagship Smartphone designed with 16gb storage and 1gb ram in 2015).

What do you mean, resistive touch doesn't need Stylus & nowadays capacitative touch needs a Stylus?

Why can't they simply ascertain the fact that fingers are OK as far as content consumption is a priority but the precision of Stylus is required when content creation is a priority. We at Apple have decided to design the iPad for content creation needs & stop designing them as stupid appliances. We leave the freedom of choice to the end user and make it capable for handling every possible task. (it was from my own experience, ease of creating a ppt on a galaxy 10.1 tab vs ipad air).

BTW I'm not a Apple hater, but I just don't like the way they take their consumers for granted (stupid).

The CNET editor remark was about 16gb capacity of iPhone 6s, not for the previous versions (a flagship Smartphone designed with 16gb storage and 1gb ram in 2015).
Okay, first of all, I would give Apple a praise for not sticking to "no stylus" idea by Steve Jobs. Sometimes companies need to change their viewpoints to function and sticking to very old traditions and ideas might be very harmful for a company (We've seen many examples of that)
Apple did stick to their idea of small phones for a long time and I was personally very happy with that. They had to introduce a bigger phone last year to get into the phablet market and also to answer to the Apple users who've been asking for bigger screens for a long time.
If Apple is taking their consumers for granted(stupid) , they're not doing anything wrong. 95% of them are 'stupid' (Not concerned a lot about specs) . Let me give you a real life example.
You get onto a metro in Delhi, what you'll see is most of the people using Samsung/other Droids with 1,2 or maybe even 3 gigs of ram. 9 out of 10 of them will be playing Candy Crush/Subway Surfers or using Whatsapp/Instagram/Facebook.
You'll hardly see anyone playing high end games or using heavy applications. So there is no use of the big RAM in those phones.
And again, Apple does a great job maintaining the device lag-free even with less RAM. It is a much better experience than having Samsung phones with multiple gigs of RAM and constant lag because of their shitty TouchWiz.
Being an Apple user, even I'm not pleased that they didn't give a RAM upgrade but if the phone stays lag free and fast, I don't care what's inside.
Now me, you and the whole tech community can curse Apple for not upgrading the RAM, but it won't matter to them because we know how much they are making every quarter doing what they've been doing.
And if you think now that Apple is copying other companies, please look into the last decade and then ask yourself who copied who.

Also, if you think Apple is not getting into numbers because , "The reason Apple doesn't want to compete in number game because it knows it'll be crushed severely by many companies with more cheaper access to hardware, especially Chinese and Korean companies", then you're wrong. If a new a company like One+ can come in and build a beast at an affordable price, then Apple who is a well established player can very very easily make a similar phone at the same price or maybe even less. Again, the point is not to target the tech savvy, but the general public.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back