Apple launches 'iPad'

Ho-hum for me even though I was highly anticipating this device launch.

No multitasking (for now or forever?) and no voice I believe (to avoid eating into iPhone sales?)... its just a bigger/costlier iPod Touch - price cant be compared to iPhone if there's no voice only 3G.

Now I hope other more open platforms come out imitating this device form factor but with more open/powerful OS (multitasking)... :)

Another issue is less storage if this is supposed to be like an Internet+media pad, but I guess they had to compromise to keep prices down...

But even though I personally don't like it too much, it could do decent sales for the average Joe user :)

I cannot understand their target user-base for the iPad. I want to type a huge rant, but in short:
You see the average apple user, and I am stressing on the word "user", not dev., buys apple stuff (which many will agree does come at a premium.) So, I think, people who may buy this product would already own a portable mac or an iphone/ipod touch or both. Now for someone like me who owns both those devices, there's no place for such a tablet. I will use my mac for my computing needs and my iphone for the mobile experience. I will use them together by tethering on a 3g network when I need to.

Why would I need an iPad? It basically does everything that an iPhone does, albeit on a bigger screen and using a faster processor. But it's not really portable is it? You will need to carry it in some sort of backpack, messenger bag etc etc.

I hope you guys see where I'm going with this. Now, If, and that's a big "if" they had added some quick note-taking features using a stylus (maybe), I believe it would have had a stronger purpose for it's existence. People would love to use such a device in classrooms and meetings etc etc.

I read an article recently about the history of tablet-fails and the list included every attempt to make such a device, including the windows tablet-pc (which, btw, quite a few people use). I strongly believe that the iPad is going to be added to that list.

discuss.

Very disappointing.. It should've run a flavour of Mac OSX not the iPhone OS. Nevertheless this device will do well especially with people who do not own an iPhone.

iPad - Hits and Misses

Now that the so-called revolutionary tablet is announced, I made a brief list of Hits and Misses for iPad. Do note that I haven’t put any detailed reasoning for the points I have made and will be doing this at a later point of time when the device is launched.

First, let’s look at the specification.

Specification:

Height: 9.56 inches (242.8 mm)

Width: 7.47 inches (189.7 mm)

Depth: 0.5 inch (13.4 mm)

Weight: 1.5 pounds (.68 kg) Wi-Fi model; 1.6 pounds (.73 kg) Wi-Fi + 3G model

Display: 9.7-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy widescreen Multi-Touch display with IPS technology

Display resolution: 1024-by-768-pixel resolution at 132 pixels per inch (ppi)

Processor: 1GHz Apple A4 custom-designed, high-performance, low-power system-on-a-chip

Connectivity: Wi-Fi (802.11 a/b/g/n), Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR technology, UMTS/HSDPA (850, 1900, 2100 MHz), GSM/EDGE (850, 900,1800, 1900 MHz)

Digital Compass

Assisted GPS (3G model)

Cellular (3G model)

TV Out: Support for 1024 x 768 with Dock Connector to VGA adapter; 576p and 480p with Apple Component A/V Cable, 576i and 480i with Apple Composite Cable

Battery: Built-in 25Whr rechargeable lithium-polymer battery, Up to 10 hours of surfing the web on Wi-Fi, watching video, or listening to music

Capacity: 16GB, 32GB, or 64GB flash drive

Looks yummy right? The most surprising announcement was Price.

Pricing:

Wi-Fi only iPad:

16 GB – $499, 32GB – $599, 64GB – $699

Wi-Fi+3G iPad:

16 GB – $629, 32GB – $729, 64GB – $829

Now to the main part of this post.

Hits:

No Arsenic, BFR, Mercury, PVC. Uses recyclable aluminium and glass enclosure.

Amazing base Price

Incredibly thin

Capacitive touch display with LED backlit S-IPS panel

Incredible web browsing experience

iWork on ipad is Terrific

Integrated ipod, itunes and iBook

Huge collection of ebooks and incredible book reading experience

Superb Processor that never shows any signs of lag

Flash memory of upto 64Gb

Compatible with existing apps

Customizable wallpaper (delight for Apple users)

Wi-Fi and optional 3G

10hr battery life

Re: iPad - Hits and Misses

u plug that blog every time. Is that yours?.

Can one use a forum to plug his own blog/site?

Re: iPad - Hits and Misses

yes. that is my blog. And am posting most of the content and sometimes entire content from my blog when I open similar posts. And yes, it is allowed. What I am doing is not advertising, instead, by putting the content here, I am trying to open a discussion on the same matter.

Am not sure if the content of my posts is healthy or not but given the decreasing number of articles written, I thought of posting all my blog posts here.

I think Apple simply did not have any new ideas. From the name, to the final product, it has all been a huge let down. Magical device? In Steve Jobs's dreams maybe.

On one of the key issues, adobe has responded.

Building iPad Applications with Flash (Adobe Flash Platform Blog)

Today Apple announced the Apple iPad and like many of you, we at Adobe are looking forward to getting our hands on one of these devices. This is an exciting time to be a software designer with an explosion of new devices and we look forward to helping Flash developers and designers bring innovative applications to these devices using our tools and frameworks.

We announced the Packager for iPhone at MAX 2009 which will allow Flash developers to create native iPhone applications and will be available in the upcoming version of Flash Pro CS5. This technology enables developers to create applications for the iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad (though applications will not initially take direct advantage of iPad’s new screen resolution). It is our intent to make it possible for Flash developers to build applications that can take advantage of the increased screen size and resolution of the iPad.

Bigger iPod, no multitasking ? FAIL.

Gaming on this device is BS, its not like a phone that one take out from pocket and jump into some mini time pass game while waiting for bus (this is the reason mobile gaming works, or one can play better games on PC/console). Only good use I can think of is reading books, for that a proper ebook reader will be better (i want nook, or the upcoming Asus pixelQi screen book :D).

No multitasking in a phone is somewhat acceptable (not really), but in a mini computer... what were they thinking?

It is a nice device but with very limited functionality.

I mean, iphone OS??

I was looking forward to buying this, but the os just isn't that good as compared to the mac os.

I really don't see prospective netbook users buying this. It is just a toy for the rich boys.

Someone said bigger iPod Touch and I think that what it is.

I might want to keep this coz price is very low but its not an alternative to any netbook or any notebook.

It would had been nicer if we could have got Leopard running in this with full macbook type of feel but just tablet. Couple of months and we would find same kinda stuff but in windows 7 not in windows mobile OS :p

^ no multitasking = fail. the device would have been way more functional with a stripped down version of their full fledged desktop Mac OS rather than a modified version of the iphone OS.

i own an ipod touch and yes, one does not really require multitasking there. but, if i were to buy an ipad, it would essentially be as a tablet netbook, and, what good is a netbook if you cant do any productive work on it?

the ipad is good if someone uses it purely for multimedia+ebook purposes, in which case, its basically a bigger ipod touch (with or without 3g).

Back