Apple maps is getting a major overhaul

Personally, Google has a massive lead which does need cutting down, else its going to be another Intel vs AMD.

However, I am not in favour of any Apple crap, which is limited to their devices only and works like shit on others.

Good for apple.
I use both google + here maps. Heremaps is very clean of clutter and biggest advantage is it catches gps location way way too faster than gmaps even on a edge signal and even in a very weak gps location where google simply gives up easily. Its also pretty accurate most of the times in determining exact gps. It also doesnt have all those shitty or fancy stuff dashboards nagging like gmaps and performs its sole purpose cleanly.
So i prefer using both hand in hand.
Android users shall give it a try.

...advantage is it catches gps location way way too faster than gmaps even on a edge signal and even in a very weak gps location where google simply gives up easily...

Is this dependent on the app then? All this time i was thinking it has to do with the gps hardware and system software

I have tested it in all these years and heremaps wins Everytime. Yes it also depends how your app is optimised. No wonder gmap is comparatively heavy and still sucks. Infact uber too wins in this case while ola sucks. And ola and gmaps seems to be using similar api for getting location coordinates.
Hardware is always good it depends how well these apps are made to make good use of it. If your hardware is at fault no relevant app will work as it should.

Google has started limiting free google maps that you can embed. They have daily limits now and you are billed if you exceed. It definitely needs a competitor.

I have tested it in all these years and heremaps wins Everytime. Yes it also depends how your app is optimised. No wonder gmap is comparatively heavy and still sucks. Infact uber too wins in this case while ola sucks. And ola and gmaps seems to be using similar api for getting location coordinates.
Hardware is always good it depends how well these apps are made to make good use of it. If your hardware is at fault no relevant app will work as it should.
Which phones have you used over the years. I've faced none of the problems you mention on my phones which are either mid range or flagship.

One thing that is true is google's apps are bloated and its difficult to stop them from running and eating up RAM at startup. I expect if you could entirely remove google from your phone that a 20% boost in battery is possible with any phone

Hardware does play a role but its getting limited these days with the last two OS iteration on android i think. Post 2016 even low end phones have a real GPS instead of just A-GPS. Nokia on windows mobile always had a real GPS years before android

Back