Apple might be intentionally slowing down old iPhones to preserve battery life

swatkats

Skilled
Reddit users have noticed that Apple appears to be slowing down old iPhones that have low capacity batteries. While many iPhone users have experienced perceived slowdowns due to iOS updates over the years, it appears that there’s now proof Apple is throttling processor speeds when a battery capacity deteriorates over time.

Geekbench developer John Poole has mapped out performance for the iPhone 6S and iPhone 7 over time, and has come to the conclusion that Apple’s iOS 10.2.1 and 11.2.0 updates introduce this throttling for different devices. iOS 10.2.1 is particularly relevant, as this update was designed to reduce random shutdown issues for the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6S. Apple’s fix appears to be throttling the CPU to prevent the phone from randomly shutting down. Geekbench reports that iOS 11.2.0 introduces similar throttling for low iPhone 7 low capacity batteries.

Some Reddit users report that replacing their batteries has returned performance and CPU clock speeds back to normal. The reports are particularly troubling because any perceived slowdowns by iPhone users might tempt owners to upgrade their entire device instead of replace the battery. “This fix will also cause users to think, 'my phone is slow so I should replace it' not, 'my phone is slow so I should replace its battery,’” says Geekbench’s John Poole.

Source: https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/20/16800058/apple-iphone-slow-fix-battery-life-capacity

so this the reason why some people have problem with slow iphones whereas others dont.

powerusers come on internet and complain that their iphone is slow and then other users with same iphone come and chime in that their phone is alright

well i was planning on picking up a used iphone 6s 32 with 6months indian warranty today :(. should i go ahead or not .upgrading from iphone 5s

I have no problem in believing this.
I have experienced my phone become worse in performance after updates. I don't install any updates anymore if my phone is working stable.

well i was planning on picking up a used iphone 6s 32 with 6months indian warranty today :(. should i go ahead or not .upgrading from iphone 5s
6 months old phone. It should be fine.[DOUBLEPOST=1513852485][/DOUBLEPOST]
I have no problem in believing this.
I have experienced my phone become worse in performance after updates. I don't install any updates anymore if my phone is working stable.
this doesn't have anything to do with updates. iphones are slowing down irrespective of whether they're on ios 10 or 11.

but basically my friends put off updating to new ios versions if their devices are more than 2 years old.

Apple cocking a snook at its customers? Same old, same old.

I am ready to bet that they sat down and devised this strategy around the whole battery slowing down thing to let them have an escape route if and whenever this thing got discovered. There have been reports of household appliances being fitted with ICs to trigger and cause fault(s) with the working after the warranty period had expired, but those mods were still out there in plain sight. This whole 'throttled cuz that old, worn out crummy battery won't take it' is a nice sugar coat. Apple being apple.

The real worry atm is, that other manufacturers do not start doing this.

Days after iPhone battery fiasco, lawsuits against Apple begin to mount

These proposed class-action lawsuits allege largely the same thing: that over time certain iPhones exhibited lower performance and that Apple fraudulently concealed this fact from owners. If those customers went to an Apple Store to investigate, they were encouraged to simply buy a new iPhone.

"Had Plaintiffs been informed by Apple or its technical/customer service support staff that a battery replacement would have improved the performance of the above devices, they would have opted to replace the batteries instead of purchasing new phones," one of the lawsuits, Abdulla et al v. Apple, which was filed Thursday in federal court in Chicago,

Source: https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy...fiasco-lawsuits-against-apple-begin-to-mount/

MwwwwWwwwwwUAAAH :kissingheart::kissingheart:

Thank God I am still on iOS 10.1.1. Apparently, Apple started slowing down the 6s series from iOS 10.2.1. So my device is more than fine now! :p Although, very very rarely, the device restarts for no obvious reasons. But then since it isn't often, I am least bothered. :)

Back