Budget 41-50k APU / On board graphics based build for student lab

mk76

Adept
Hi

Need help to submit config required for students lab. PC required for senior lab.

APU
- AMD Ryzen 5 2400G or AMD Ryzen 3 2200G or AMD A10-7860K
Motherboard - Supporting motherboard with at least 2 slots for RAM and on board graphics
RAM - 8GB RAM
SSD - 500 GB
22" Monitor

I'm not sure if this config will provide on board graphics capabilities ? Appreciate any suggestions.

Better stick with am4 platform than the old fm2+. Allows you to upgrade at later stage.
Suggest go for the 2400g with a good board / chipset ( maybe 350) for future upgrades.

Would prefer 350 over 320 . will cost you little higher but then it will be helpful when you upgrade to ryzen 5/7
This is a student lab. I doubt they'd be overclocking anything. All they'd want is reliable 24/7 operation which a320 will deliver. Nor do I think they'd ever upgrade anything. In most educational setups, these machines are bought and then dumped after 4-5 years when they are obsolete. What they'd need is a lot of systems at lowest possible acquisition price.

Other than overclocking, what extra help will b350 provide? A decent B350 board costs around 7000. The A320 equivalent of the same costs 4500. Multiply the difference by 50-60 and see how much money can be saved or put to other uses.

Many thanks for your inputs. My primary question - Will 2400G + 350 (which mobo ??) provide on board graphic capabilities ??

Thanks.
I'm not looking to purchase. Just need a config to submit a proposal. I understand from your inputs that

1) A10 apu is a no-no
2) 2200G/320 seems to be the choice cost wise
3) 2400G/350 would be ideal choice for long run

What is the purpose of the lab? What kind of applications etc. are you going to run on this setup?

I am asking this because based on your answer, 2400G/A320 may prove to be a better build.

This is for a school lab. They are planning for upgrade. They will not need to overclock but at the same time I do not expect next round of upgrade before 5 years.

They will run C++, Python, Photoshop, Flash etc

Can someone suggest similar Intel build also.

For that 2200g/a320 is enough

Similar intel build would be i3 8100/cheapest motherboard or kaby lake g4560/cheapest motherboard or i3 7100/cheapest motherboard whichever combination you find for the cheapest price.
If there are any new Coffee lake pentiums released recently, I am not aware right now. Maybe someone with greater mind than mine can recommend.

Basically, for your use case, newer gen 2c/4t or 4c/4t are enough. But, photoshop may need more depending on what you intend to do in it.
8GB RAM is enough
450W quality PSU is enough
Dedicated GC is not required
For storage, a WD blue is enough, 500GB most likely, since 250GB are hard to find these days.

For all this, Photoshop, I am not taking into account. Because PS can use as many resources as you can provide.

Hi

Need help to submit config required for students lab. PC required for senior lab.

APU
- AMD Ryzen 5 2400G or AMD Ryzen 3 2200G or AMD A10-7860K
Motherboard - Supporting motherboard with at least 2 slots for RAM and on board graphics
RAM - 8GB RAM
SSD - 500 GB
22" Monitor

I'm not sure if this config will provide on board graphics capabilities ? Appreciate any suggestions.
Budget -51K

AMD Ryzen 3 2200G -8700,
Asrock AB350-Pro 4 -7200,
ADATA XPG Gammix D10 8GB DDR4 3000MHz -7,800
Corsair CX 450 -3500,
Antec GX200 -3000,
Samsung 860 EVo 500GB SSD -11300,
LG 22MP68VQ-P 22" LED IPS -8500, (paytm mall)
Logitech Mk200 -1000.
Total -51,000.

All components prices are taken from mdcomputers.in except monitor from paytm mall & RAM from primeabgb.com

This is for a school lab. They are planning for upgrade. They will not need to overclock but at the same time I do not expect next round of upgrade before 5 years.

Can someone suggest similar Intel build also.

The 2200g/a320 will be plenty in that case. A comparable intel is i3 8100 + cheapest H310 board one can find. However this will be at least 5-7000 more for around the same CPU performance and far worse GPU performance.

why ssd for school? kids will just waste and destroy stuff there. better to install normal 7200 rpm 500GB hdd like WD purple or blue.

even 3000 MHz ram is too much for intended purposes. 2400 would be enough for the school. kids wont be gaming on it. for programming purposes, 3000Mhz ram is overkill. it will be sitting idle most of the time.
no one is going to compile huge programs there when they are beginners. most they will do is open a project and copy what the teacher has given them.

even photoshop, flash etc, no one is going to use it 7-8 hrs a day. They will use it only when they have IT class or during practice hours or exams.

imo, if you seriously want to get the contract, redo the config again with cheaper specs. Also go and talk to hardware dealers and don't look at online prices. What you get offline is vastly different than what you get online. Online dealers won't give you 200 pieces at what offline dealers will be ready to give you.

Edit: If those school people go by looks only, you will have better chance selling them All-in-ones like these:

ASUS V221ICUK-BA039T 21.5-inch All-in-One Desktop (Intel Core i3-7100U Processor/4GB/1TB/Windows 10 (64bit)/Integrated Graphics), Black @ 42k

Or

Lenovo 520-F0D5004WIN 6thGen Corei3,4GB RAM,1TB HDD,21.5", DOS All in One @ 36.5k

These are online prices and have 4GB ram. You can talk to company representative and get 8GB ram and better prices than these for bulk orders.

Edit 2: Look at Photoshop system requirements

System requirements | January 2018 and October 2017 (19.x) releases of Photoshop CC
Windows

Intel® Core 2 or AMD Athlon® 64 processor; 2 GHz or faster processor
Microsoft Windows 7 with Service Pack 1, Windows 8.1, or Windows 10 (version 1607 or later)
The 19.0 and 19.0.1 releases of Photoshop CC support Windows 10 1511 and later versions, but not versions 1507 and earlier.
Photoshop CC release 19.1 (and later) supports Windows 10 1607 and later versions, but not versions 1511 or earlier.

2 GB or more of RAM (8 GB recommended)
2.6 GB or more of available hard-disk space for 32-bit installation; 3.1 GB or more of available hard-disk space for 64-bit installation; additional free space required during installation (cannot install on a volume that uses a case-sensitive file system)
1024 x 768 display (1280x800 recommended) with 16-bit color and 512 MB or more of dedicated VRAM; 2 GB is recommended*
OpenGL 2.0-capable system
Internet connection and registration are necessary for required software activation, validation of subscriptions, and access to online services.**

Last edited:
Thanks 6pack. I agree with your point on SSD and on same page with RAM frequency. Of course this has to be minimalist stuff but enough to run good till next upgrade.

Just few points to elaborate. I'm not getting contract or selling or proposing a vendor. The school already has this figured out. My SO works their and she just need to submit an upgrade plan with details. The idea is to get a good config that will last at least 5 year upgrade cycle. I do not agree with AIO (not a fan of laptops for the same reason). Once gone kaput, the entire machine need to be sent for maintenance. They are not easily up-gradable as well. FYI .... the school already has AIO and facing this challenge.

Many thanks to all the inputs I've received here. I feel AMD combo is good .. but there are people at school who carry a generic belief of AMD as a bad investment. Let's see what the school eventually decides.

feel AMD combo is good .. but there are people at school who carry a generic belief of AMD as a bad investment. Let's see what the school eventually decides.

The school needs to be schooled. Make a nice ppt showing the price to performance difference between red and blue. Also include the Temps.. Most Einsteins in India think that amd runs hot. Show them the right path. :)

well if they think Intel is a good investment they are wrong. How many times has Intel changed the number of pins on their cpu's and the entire cpu+ mobo needs to be changed? Its like every new chip of theirs has some other different requirement. In AMD we can easily swap out cpu with higher version or newer version cpu on the same board if AMD does not do what Intel does in future.

I thought AIO would be good from point of maintenance and group policy etc. No dabba under the table for children to kick etc. I know they are hard to upgrade because most of them use soldered on cpu with mobo combos. Why does the school want to upgrade them when they can just sell them off for less than half to needy kids in 2-3 years and get tax depreciation on them?

I guess you should stick with AMD Ryzen 5 2400G, 8GB DDR4 Ram and 1 TB HDD with MSI B350 PRO VH motherboard.. and basic cabinet like Cooler Master Elite 311 and Cooler master 350W PSU.

Can I know what all kind of applications you shall be running?

Back