Are Inverter Washing Machine worth buying or its a sham? LG specifically

raksrules

Elite
We are in market for immediate need of a washing machine. Our old Videocon is giving recurring expenses. Two of the repair guys we know suggested LG or Panasonic.

We went to reliance digital and Vijay sales near my home in Mumbai and saw that Panasonic has phased out all models and new ones are expected in next 10 days. LG had numerous models but all with some smart inverter technology which i frankly have no clue what is. Warranty on parts is 2 years and Motor is 10 years.

Now those repair guys suggest not to go with inverter or direct drive ones and we should stick with normal belt driven. Store people push the inverter saying new technology and all. Our machine is kept inside bathroom and we have restrictions on what machine we can buy since we have to consider size of door etc for it to fit in.

While at store, we say LG has models from 25K to 46K with different load capacities and belt or direct drive and all. But all with smart inverter. All top loading since that is what we want, no side loading.

Can anyone tell me if inverter washing machine are reliable and are they hard or expensive to repair if something goes side ways? Is the inverter part separate from the main motor or part of and the 10 year warranty is applicable for the inverter part too?

Too much confused and need help. As of this moment, we are waiting for 10 days to see what Panasonic comes up with.

We are in market for immediate need of a washing machine. Our old Videocon is giving recurring expenses. Two of the repair guys we know suggested LG or Panasonic.

We went to reliance digital and Vijay sales near my home in Mumbai and saw that Panasonic has phased out all models and new ones are expected in next 10 days. LG had numerous models but all with some smart inverter technology which i frankly have no clue what is. Warranty on parts is 2 years and Motor is 10 years.

Now those repair guys suggest not to go with inverter or direct drive ones and we should stick with normal belt driven. Store people push the inverter saying new technology and all. Our machine is kept inside bathroom and we have restrictions on what machine we can buy since we have to consider size of door etc for it to fit in.

While at store, we say LG has models from 25K to 46K with different load capacities and belt or direct drive and all. But all with smart inverter. All top loading since that is what we want, no side loading.

Can anyone tell me if inverter washing machine are reliable and are they hard or expensive to repair if something goes side ways? Is the inverter part separate from the main motor or part of and the 10 year warranty is applicable for the inverter part too?

Too much confused and need help. As of this moment, we are waiting for 10 days to see what Panasonic comes up with.
Manufacturers are pushing inverters mostly because they can command high prices and also earn off more expensive parts & AMC's.
Inverters are not a MUST have. Normal ones are fine too. Given the tried and trusted conventional technology from the top brands like LG & Samsung etc. no big deal to stick with the normal ones. They last quite long and are really reliable. The last WM I had lasted me 15 years more or less. I simply went & replaced it with another LG normal WM fully automatic model. No troubles in over 3 years so far [emoji1695]

Why don't you see IFB machines front load type, we have been using it for quite some time now, and touch wood, no issues. 10+ I think.

Inverter models are worth the extra money. The are less noisy and vibrations is very minimal. As the number of moving parts are less the need for maintenance is supposed to be lesser. I had a IFB washing machine for around 6 years and it was always troublesome. I had to replace the drum bearings twice and the belt that drives the motor to the drum twice too. The machine always had a mind of its own and kept walking. I guess it would have walked down the stairs but for the water hose put a leash on its adventurous detours.

Inverter models being driven by DC motors have much better spin control for wringing out the water.

Inverter models are worth the extra money. The are less noisy and vibrations is very minimal. As the number of moving parts are less the need for maintenance is supposed to be lesser. I had a IFB washing machine for around 6 years and it was always troublesome. I had to replace the drum bearings twice and the belt that drives the motor to the drum twice too. The machine always had a mind of its own and kept walking. I guess it would have walked down the stairs but for the water hose put a leash on its adventurous detours.

Inverter models being driven by DC motors have much better spin control for wringing out the water.

i did bought samsung inverter washing machine for my home cause my old top front loading washing machine just 2 year old consumer high power due to loud noise around 10k rpm and where my power bill whoop upto 7.5k for 2 month so i decide to rush and bought inventor washing machine last month and waiting for final power bill next month, due to the latest one give very low noise and less tension

Last edited:

Answered here
Post automatically merged:

No idea why its called inverter. The Koreans are direct drive as opposed to belt driven like Bosch, Siemens etc.

They call it inverter because of the BLDC motor drive controller, which inverts 50hz or 60hz, AC to DC and then back to AC with variable frequency.
The long warranty doesn't apply to the pcb board which has the inverter circuit, it only applies to the motor whose life is determined by the two bearings, hence they give a huge warranty.

I recently bought a LG 8kg Direct drive washing machine purely because it has better sales support and for cheaper repairs. Build quality doesn't match the europeans siemens and american brands whirlpool.
thread here https://techenclave.com/community/t...ng-washing-machine.189087/page-4#post-2175851

If you want the biggest drum size for the budget you can check the whirlpool belt driven inverter motor 8kg model, https://www.whirlpoolindia.com/washing-machines/fully-automatic-front-load/freshcare-8212
Drum size is bigger then 9kg direct drive inverter models of all other brands and fit and finish of whirlpool washing machine is cut above the koreans and japanese brands.

Panasonic spares and service is a question mark, considering their low volume of front load washing machine sales.

I am myself concerned about Panasonic machines. They may be really great or so but if I am unable to find parts to fix or they are expensive it is useless. I have once been burnt when I bought the Suzuki GSR something 150cc bike few (like 11 years back) where it was claimed to be awesome and such but fixing that bike, getting service etc was a pain and today if I had a chance going back 11 years, I would have rather bought a pulsar.
Another analogy I give myself is, if I am buying my first car, I need something that is easily fixable and wide availability of parts etc, I would rather buy a maruti or hyundai.

Problem is my dad and brother believe the technicians more who say Panasonic is good. I don't know if the technician's opinions are based on some old experiences with the brand from like 10 years back or current gen of machines. Or they are suggesting purely based on fact that it is fixable by them.

Btw one important detail is that the machine is going to be inside the bathroom so moisture will be more in the area. The inverter ones claim to repel moisture or something, not sure how true it is.

I am myself concerned about Panasonic machines. They may be really great or so but if I am unable to find parts to fix or they are expensive it is useless.

Problem is my dad and brother believe the technicians more who say Panasonic is good. I don't know if the technician's opinions are based on some old experiences with the brand from like 10 years back or current gen of machines. Or they are suggesting purely based on fact that it is fixable by them.

Btw one important detail is that the machine is going to be inside the bathroom so moisture will be more in the area. The inverter ones claim to repel moisture or something, not sure how true it is.

What has inverter got to do with repelling moisture? Maybe they are nano coated to repel moisture to some extent. As far as Panasonic service is concerned I have a Panasonic AC. Just like any other consumer durable electronic company Panasonic too has outsourced service to 3rd parties. So, far it has been good. I do not know much about the replacement parts cost but then more than the companies it is the service centers that cheat the consumers.

He's looking for a top loader not a front loader

Back