Are Xbox One and PS4 games gonna be much easier to port to PC and each other?

Mechanic

Skilled
We do know now that that the configurations of XBox One and PS4 are somewhat comparable to each other and also closer to what many mainstream pcs have these days
does this mean porting will be easier?

Theoretically, porting is easier with xbone and PS4 to PC, but because of a different reason. The reason is the use of x86 architecture , which has always been used on PC. Both consoles have AMD processors and graphic cards that are based on x86 architecture just like a PC. I think the graphics cards are equivalent to AMD 7790, but I am not too sure. Google it.

As far as the configuration is concerned, the consoles always have that close to the mainstream PCs of the time when they are released. When PS3 and Xbox 360 were released 8 yeas ago, they had the graphics cards equivalent to Nvidia 7800GT and ATI x1900 which were mainstream cards back then, maybe even enthusiast level. The cell processor used in PS3 was way ahead of its time with 8 cores (7 for gaming/OS use and 1 for general tasks/low power tasks), if memory serves me right.

The PS4 GPU is equivalent to the HD7870

like I said, I wasnt too sure. I gave it a whirl and scrounged the net a bit more this timee and found that PS4 indeed has the GPU equivalent to HD 7850/70. On paper, that means that GPU of PS4 is 50% more powerful and therefore, it should have less frame drops and should have a more consistent performance overall. However, we all know how games are designed. They are made for the lowest hardware and then ported to other systems. Case in point, PS3. Although it had a much faster cell processor,that did not necessarily mean more eye candy in games. For the exxclusives, maybe, but for the other majority of cross platform games, it did'nt. Same will happen this time too. However, keep in mind there are more variables involved in gaming performance than just the GPU.

To answer your question, yes, it should be much easier to port the games to the other 2 major platforms because of the x86 architecture. Hope this helped.. :)

Back