Are you okay with someone occupying your flight seat?

I was traveling with IndiGo airlines with my mom, and as soon as I entered the plane, I saw 1 aunty and her child sitting on my seat whereas the husband was sitting on the seat infront of mine. They kept forcing me to switch to seats we were not comfortable sitting at. Does this happen with every Airline nowadays just like trains? Is there nothing like rules when you travel by plane? And I paid 9000 Rs for both of those seats ‍*Facepalm* and ended up agreeing to those man’s words. System is not justified

Don't blame the system when you did not take it's help. You should have called the flight attendant and complained to them instead of agreeing to change seats. You just made them become even more brazen to do the same to another passenger in future. Probably passengers like you before you have had the same misfortune flying with that family and have similarly agreed to change seats. No wonder they feel like it's their right to occupy some one else's seat now with impunity.

I used to travel a lot for my previous firm and always selected aisle seats and did my web-checkin beforehand. Once a dude pulled that shit on me on a Delhi-Kolkata flight and I immediately called in the flight attendants to sort it out. Never stand this and call in the flight personnel whenever somebody pulls this cheap shit on you.
Man this pisses me off....:mad::mad:
Although I used to avoid Indigo quite a bit and Jet airways almost always never had this issue.

It depends, if I travel alone and if I get the same seat as I booked, then I let it go.

Sometimes, If family wants to sit together and not an individual, then it should be fine as well

If someone taking advantage, say a girl I politely refuse :)

Don't blame the system when you did not take it's help. You should have called the flight attendant and complained to them instead of agreeing to change seats. You just made them become even more brazen to do the same to another passenger in future. Probably passengers like you before you have had the same misfortune flying with that family and have similarly agreed to change seats. No wonder they feel like it's their right to occupy some one else's seat now with impunity.

I am just saying this happens due to the lack of enforcement of rules. I couldn’t just start fighting with the passengers illegally using my seat as their own and create a scene in front of the other passengers. I guess it happens all the time. Also this taught me to always book domestic flight tickets 1-2.5 months in advance for cheaper rates as probability of getting scammed is on the higher side most likely. And Domestic Airlines don’t deserve 10-12 days advance booking anyway as they fail to provide QOS or safeguard your seat against typical indian train-grade passengers due to lack of enforcement. I’m not saying there shouldn’t be an exception for senior citizens, but rules are rules

I am just saying this happens due to the lack of enforcement of rules. I couldn’t just start fighting with the passengers illegally using my seat as their own and create a scene in front of the other passengers. I guess it happens all the time. Also this taught me to always book domestic flight tickets 1-2.5 months in advance for cheaper rates as probability of getting scammed is on the higher side most likely. And Domestic Airlines don’t deserve 10-12 days advance booking anyway as they fail to provide QOS or safeguard your seat against typical indian train-grade passengers due to lack of enforcement. I’m not saying there shouldn’t be an exception for senior citizens, but rules are rules

Nothing can safe guard you against uncouth Indian behavior. Nothing, not even God himself.

It was your seat, you should have simply refused or called a flight attendant. I hate to talk to fellow passengers. If I have a window seat, I do not even request passengers to give me way, because they make a sordid face. I call the flight attendant, and ask her to request passengers to get up, or bend their knees so I can get past.

Lol dont be such a pushover. I personally give seats only if the other seat is just as good or if surroundings ok. I once gave my seat in a train to a family and made efforts to go to the next coach but then saw there was a real fat guy sitting and the seat itself looked wobbly. As you know chair cars seats give limited shoulder room and me having broad shoulders would have been uncomfy. Went back to my original seat and asked them to politely go back. Nobody can force you if you are firm and polite. Cant even imagine giving my window seat on plane for which i make efforts to do web checkin etc.

I had a couple of instances where I booked the window seat through web-checkin and found someone already siting on the seat and asking me to adjust. I always politely told them to vacate and had worked both times.
You need to be insistent. I would not allow anyone else to take my seat even if I did not pay extra for it, let alone if I pay extra.

I am ready to make adjustments in case family travelling together or senior citizens, etc. if they ask me to exchange seats after being seated. But simply boarding first and capturing seats is a no deal. This is not the general compartment of a train.

I was traveling with IndiGo airlines with my mom, and as soon as I entered the plane, I saw 1 aunty and her child sitting on my seat whereas the husband was sitting on the seat infront of mine. They kept forcing me to switch to seats we were not comfortable sitting at. Does this happen with every Airline nowadays just like trains? Is there nothing like rules when you travel by plane? And I paid 9000 Rs for both of those seats ‍*Facepalm* and ended up agreeing to those man’s words. System is not justified
They can only request you not force you to get up. Don't let this happen to you again.

I am just saying this happens due to the lack of enforcement of rules.
When you surrender the system is out of it.

I couldn’t just start fighting with the passengers illegally using my seat as their own and create a scene in front of the other passengers.
Abroad when this happens i tell them they are in my seat and always people have moved. There was no scene. If people are stubborn then you escalate matters. These days regulations are quite tight so anyone misbehaving is likely to get banned by the airline.

I guess it happens all the time.
Only with people who are unscrupulous. They are in the minority.

It depends on the situation. I always prefer aisle seats. If i get like for like then fine. But i'm not getting stuck in between seats or windows seats.

These days I simply say I paid extra for the seat (normally I do and get the exit row) so please move. Pretty much everyone obliges.

These days I simply say I paid extra for the seat (normally I do and get the exit row) so please move. Pretty much everyone obliges.
Yes. The simplest way is to say that you paid Rs 1,000 extra for that seat. If they can pay that amount you will move.

Never say Yes when you want to say No - Not just for aircraft seats but for anything in life pretty much
If you did not want to accept the swap, you could have firmly said No and that would have been it.

If someone has a genuine reason to want my seat and the swap seat offer isn't silly (e.g. a middle seat or a window seat in lieu of an aisle seat) then I would say yes
If the swap seat offer is not to my liking, I'd simply say No - Not sure what paying for a seat/ bad system etc have anything to do with it

Back