Arrandale (Core i3) laptop with user-replaceable HDD?

vishalrao

Global Moral Police
Skilled
I recently bought an Acer Aspire 5740 and it looks like you can't replace the HDD without voiding your warranty and I'm not sure if the HDD can be replaced at all by a user even if you do want to void your warranty, correct me if I'm wrong.

My question is, out of the following three models shortlisted, which of them allows user-replaceable HDD (because I want to put in an SSD :)) preferably without voiding warranty?

Acer Aspire 5740.
Sony E series B12 model.
Dell (new) Inspiron 15.

Note these are all "Arrandale" platform laptops with Core i3 330M 2.13 ghz CPU and about 2-4 GB RAM with "on board" Intel graphics - not any ATI/nvidia stuff - with about 15.x inch HD displays and all are about the Rs 35k price mark currently.

Please advise for the above and also mention any good alternative with the same "Arrandale" platform, thanks!

afaik, none of them allow user to replace HDD. Best thing is to get an external HDD or let them replace HDD. There are some dealers who allow you to get the HDD from outside and replace it for you and some allow only HDDs purchased from them.

Acer is a bit more flexible in this when compared to Dell and Sony.

desiibond said:
afaik, none of them allow user to replace HDD. Best thing is to get an external HDD or let them replace HDD. There are some dealers who allow you to get the HDD from outside and replace it for you and some allow only HDDs purchased from them.

well, with the NW series of sony, i can vouch you can replace the hdd. I have not seen the newer sony so cant comment on that. even with compaq there is no warranty seal on the hdd cover. so, even there it should be easy to replace

vishalrao said:
I recently bought an Acer Aspire 5740 and it looks like you can't replace the HDD without voiding your warranty and I'm not sure if the HDD can be replaced at all by a user even if you do want to void your warranty, correct me if I'm wrong.

My question is, out of the following three models shortlisted, which of them allows user-replaceable HDD (because I want to put in an SSD :)) preferably without voiding warranty?

Acer Aspire 5740.
Sony E series B12 model.
Dell (new) Inspiron 15.

Note these are all "Arrandale" platform laptops with Core i3 330M 2.13 ghz CPU and about 2-4 GB RAM with "on board" Intel graphics - not any ATI/nvidia stuff - with about 15.x inch HD displays and all are about the Rs 35k price mark currently.

Please advise for the above and also mention any good alternative with the same "Arrandale" platform, thanks!

Not Sure. But, warranty will remains for all original part of Acer.
Once I Installed additional 1 GB RAM to a Acer Notebook, after 4 months, I found problem with Motherboard. Sent to Acer Service center with "2GB RAM" got it repaired laptop without any problem even warranty sticker is removed.

you can buy msi -- i was at the service center when i added an extra 2gb of ram to my laptop. i wanted to add a 500gb harddrive and remove the 250gb harddrive already in my laptop. the guy at the service center said it was possible but the warranty for the default 250gb harddrive would remain the same as the laptop's warranty ie 2 years. also if the laptop harddrive was faulty they would accept it with the laptop only.

msi 15 inchers with core i3 start at 29k with 2 years warranty.

sunny27 said:
you can buy msi -- i was at the service center when i added an extra 2gb of ram to my laptop. i wanted to add a 500gb harddrive and remove the 250gb harddrive already in my laptop. the guy at the service center said it was possible but the warranty for the default 250gb harddrive would remain the same as the laptop's warranty ie 2 years. also if the laptop harddrive was faulty they would accept it with the laptop only.
msi 15 inchers with core i3 start at 29k with 2 years warranty.

Details/link of MSI Core i3 @29k

desiibond said:

Interesting, let me try to see what they say if I want to replace HDD on my current 5740 :)

Also, @sunny27: MSI does sound like a good option, I will check it out for sure...

Even though I am a Sony fanboi but now I think I will start to like companies like Acer/MSI if they have such great value for money...

Yes, please provide link to MSI i3 models - cant find it myself...

Dell allows u to replace RAM and HDD without warranty (completecover) getting voided.

There are just 3 screws that you need to open - you can order multitool sets from ebay or someplace for 100 bucks or so.

Back