Audio Asus Essence ST Confusion

sreenisatish

Disciple
I am having trouble figuring out how to set up my speakers with the Asus Xonar Essence ST. As you may know, the ST has just stereo outputs - no 5.1.

Before going any further, here is my setup:
BluRay -> Cyberlink PowerDVD -> Asus Xonar Essence ST -> Altec Lansing MX5021

This is the confusion: PowerDVD has an option to select the number of speakers in its audio configuration. It also has options to select Dolby Virtual speaker for virtual surround through 2 speakers. Now, the sound card came with a control center which also has an option of Dolby Virtual speaker.

What number of speakers should I select in PowerDVD?

If I select 2 speakers from PowerDVD, I don't get good sound - there is no bass whatsoever no matter what effect I select - stereo/dolby virtual/truTheater

If I select 6 speakers with no effect, I get good sound with good bass. But, as soon as I enable Dolby Virtual speaker in my Asus control panel, again, no bass or anything.

I am really confused here. What are the correct settings I have to enable in PowerDVD/Asus Control center for correct sound and if possible, Dolby Virtual Speaker? Any Essence ST/STX users who can help?

How have you connected the speakers to sound card...

i think you need to send 6 channels from power dvd to sound card and then configure the sound card through asus panel for two channel output

sreenisatish said:
If I select 6 speakers with no effect, I get good sound with good bass. But, as soon as I enable Dolby Virtual speaker in my Asus control panel, again, no bass or anything.
Don't you thing this setting is working for you. If you are getting good sound,just don't enable Dolby Virtual speaker in my Asus control panel until you get some other solution.

Back