ASUS O!Play HD2 - How to play youtube videos online ?

Praks

Skilled
Friend has purchased ASUS O!Play HD2 after doing lots & lots of research.

Plays almost all formats & no problems as of now. This is a NAS box too & has online functions like Picasa, Flickr etc.

Requirement is to play Youtube vidoes directly online.

This HD2 is connected via RJ45 cable with Asus N13 B1 router. Access to internet is working fine but how to access youtube videos ?

There is no youtube app installed in this so called costly media player & we could not find any web browser.

Wonder why didn't Asus even bother to include simple youtube app when they can have media player in 10k range with NAS function.

Indeed, it seems you have two options, custom firmware.

These people seem to have something going

Mo Services

or a server like tversity/xbmc on the PC to stream to the HD2.

Use Mo services...I'm using it for more than an year with ACryan skin
I think you can even configure other streaming sites as well. (Though I have not configured it...)

Indeed, it seems you have two options, custom firmware.

These people seem to have something going

Mo Services

or a server like tversity/xbmc on the PC to stream to the HD2.

Use Mo services...I'm using it for more than an year with ACryan skin
I think you can even configure other streaming sites as well. (Though I have not configured it...)

Thank you. I tried searching for HD2 firmware, could not find. Can you help in getting correct link ?

Let us know how you got on.

Thx for bringing up the youtube issue, its something most would have taken for granted. You pay so much money and do not expect to jump through hoops to get it to work.

It seems youtube does not like giving access unless they can push ads or have some sort of agreement which companies like ASUS decided not to opt for.

@blr_p
sure buddy. I wanted to go for cheaper Asus Mini but spent too much on this HD2, now this damn thing cant even play simple youtube.

Anyway to highlight this to Asus ? Hope they can release new firmware.. I really dont want to go with flashing of Moservices as other functions of NAS works fine with default firmware.

Last edited by a moderator:
You could have purchased AC Ryan or Xtreamer at this cost which works flawlessly with Online Apps.

Anyway to highlight this to Asus ? Hope they can release new firmware.. I really dont want to go with flashing of Moservices as other functions of NAS works fine with default firmware.
The posts in Asus support forum for this model do not fill one with confidence. Somebody asked the same question 9 months back and there is not a single reply.

I think you will have to bite the bullet, but make sure you understand how to revert back or unbrick in case of an accident.

@dinjo
I wish I could have.
I think this board requires a section for networked devices like media streamers. There are a number of them out there. So far i saw people here have experience with ACRyan, WDTV, HiMedia & Xtreamer. In addition there are those that can run Android. Then there are ways to mod all these devices as well. Threads for these devices are scattered around in different sections presently.

@blr_p
Will mod with Moservices & see if it works.
Ensure you know how to unbrick before attempting anything.

They should change product name to ASUS NO! play :(

What a pity because ASUS routers are very popular here. ASUS has not figured out how to make good streamers yet.

@blr_p
@dinjo

Tried to install MoServices, Keep getting error. I lost the hope on this crap player.

Do you suggest any other player ?
Requirement - Can play all possible formats till 1080i/p
HDMI Out
Optical Out (For connecting to 5.1 HT)
Would be great if it can work as NAS
Online Apps (Youtube must + others)
In built Wifi (so no need to spend on extra dongle)

@blr_p
Nope buddy, I am fed up with mod. Tried a lot & there is big risk of bricking the device so better stay away.

I am fine with extra dongle too. Do you recommend any ?

Learn how to unbrick it. Should not attempt any mod until you know that.

What is the point of suggesting another player in the same range just to get youtube which you can already get with mo services for free.

Back