Asus Zenfone Max Pro M1 launched

6pack

ex-Mod
Specs:
5.9" IPS screen
18:9 display with 2160 x 1080 pixels @ 403ppi
5000mAh battery
Stock Android 8.1 Oreo with updates promised for next two Android versions - P & Q.
Qualcomm Snapdragon 636 octa-core SoC clocked at 1.8GHz and coupled with Adreno 509 GPU for graphics.
Fingerprint scanner.
Dedicated sdcard slot.
The handsets provides all the standard set of connectivity options like 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi, GPS, Bluetooth 4.2 and micro USB 2.0.

Camera:
Front: 8MP camera with flash.
Rear: Dual cameras with flash. 13MP main camera with a 5MP depth-sensing secondary camera.

The 6GB/64GB version will have a 16MP+ 5MP dual rear camera setup and 16MP front facing camera for selfies and video calls.

All versions have support for up to 4K video recording

Cons:
Missing Corning Gorilla Glass or any type of glass protection for that matter.
No oleophobic coating.

Price:
Rs 10,999 for 3GB of RAM and 32GB storage.
Rs 12,999 for 4GB of RAM and 64GB storage.
Rs 14,999 for 6GB of RAM and 64GB storage.

Source: Indian Express

First impressions: Indian Express[DOUBLEPOST=1524487505][/DOUBLEPOST]Unboxing in hindi by technical guruji. :p

Last edited:
Good competitor to RN5 & pro. But redmi has far more going for it. Especially MIUI with great inbuilt tools.

This one IMO will be good cause-
1) Snapdragon 636
2) Price
3) 1000mah extra battery.

Asus M1 has a better chance of success since it would be widely available!
Also Asus provides lots of OS updates . Asus Zenphone 2 Lazer is still being updated(phone was released in Aug 2015)

MIUI won't be updated to latest version of Android. They will just keep on changing the UI.

fingerprint scanner si slow according to many reviews. Face unlock will come in future updates. Plus point is obviously pure android rom. Even if Asus does not give updates, some one on xdaforums will port the drivers to a newer rom and we can expect almost everything to work properly if he did a good job of it. Minus point is the camera. Its possible that an update could fix that issue too.

Minus point for Xiaomi is the amount of crap they bundle in their phones like system cleaners etc. I think MIUI takes 1GB ram to run on a 4GB phone. Plus all their software updates to their apps only turn on advertising inside their own apps. What a horrible experience. I downgraded all the redmi apps to factory defaults and switched off auto updates, notifications etc. Even then they still push ads in notification bar. I went so far as to install DNS66 or Zeroada to stop ads. I think Xiaomi did something and pushed an update to the phone and killed the vpn connection of these ad blocking apps after 2-3 days suddenly. I mean no matter what i tried, the apps would not work properly.

The phone is good, but the software experience is really bad. All of their software is half assed and has small bugs here and there like showing deleted pics in gallery, not being able to bring down volume to zero during calls etc. Even with 2GB ram free, MIUI slows down the phone a lot and we can feel it while scrolling etc. First and last Redmi phone for me.

No 5Ghz WiFi it seems with the Asus Zenfone Max Pro (M1) ZB601KL.

But this is a very welcome move. We got stock Android/Treble going for the Asus model, and then there is the energy efficient SD636 with a massive battery pack in tow. GCAM apk should bring some relief to the camera performance I believe.

The 6GB RAM/64 GB ROM variant should be a killer. A better camera module is expected as well. Majorly, I am also relieved to see:

1) No hassle of those crass flash sales.
2) Non chinese option available for a budget handset.

If you go to nexus about section in settings menu, It shows android version. If you go to the same in this phone, it shows Zen UI. So technically its not stock android.

Good competitor to RN5 & pro. But redmi has far more going for it. Especially MIUI with great inbuilt tools.

This one IMO will be good cause-
1) Snapdragon 636
2) Price
3) 1000mah extra battery.
4. Stock Android (or so they claim)
5. Dual-SIM with dedicated microSD slot
6. No silly notch. :D

**** MIUI btw. Not sure why some people love it so much. Forget it's "features", i'd rather have a clean Android. Totally agree with @6pack

^ I like miui btw. I use the call recorder, I like its screenshot features and I use mi cloud regularly. and I use oreo theme so it just looks like stock android. only thing I dont like is they made unlocking the bootloader a b**ch and now Im hearing they're pushing ads thru inbuilt apps like browser

^ thanks. I personally use adaway but its not easy for every to root their phones, for example, like my dad. pushing ads is only making he switch phones to other brands

Thank you so much. Was really getting irritated with these ads, with an otherwise amazing RN5.
Do you need the phone to be rooted for this? Also do updates undo the changes?

I used no root firewall to completely block all xiaomi, Alibaba, tencent, facebook and some other analytics from my note 5. Alibaba was something i didn't expect. xiaomi does like 30-40 pings to its servers every minute for no reason.

Back