Graphic Cards ATI is working on 28nm GPU for 6000 Series

metalsnake

Disciple
You all might have eperienced the heat which the latest NVidia card is capable of but hey mate if you may know ATI is planning something bigger than Nvidia. They are ready to unleash once again and this time they will hit real hard for sure with there 28nm GPU.

I know you won't believe! But i have many reasons to believe, after all this not the first time AMD had delivered new technology. They were the first to introduce 55 nm fabrication, later came up with 40nm GPU in 4770 and first to use GDDR5 memory. Isn't that right!

If this concept materializes and AMD uses a 28nm GPU's then you can easily expect there flagship card to run at a speed of 1Ghz:hap2:

Again folks it is a work in progress and they have not mentioned any timeline so far. So keep your fingers crossed fraggers:gunsmile: until further news

It all depends on the 28nm process from Global foundries or TSMC whichever can get it matured quicker. As for the series 6000 cards ( Southern Islands ) from ati they will still be built on the 40 nm process. The earliest we will see 28nm will be sometime next year . Not before that i think.

The 28 nm cards are called Nothern Islands

cheers!

toolius said:
It all depends on the 28nm process from Global foundries or TSMC whichever can get it matured quicker. As for the series 6000 cards ( Southern Islands ) from ati they will still be built on the 40 nm process. The earliest we will see 28nm will be sometime next year . Not before that i think.
The 28 nm cards are called Nothern Islands
cheers!
Hey Mate thanks for sharing! I did not know that, anyways lets hope they make some quick progress on the project.

Since Nvidia has got nothing to give ATI competition, ATI will take its own time to launch a new series.

Thoughts: Buckle up Nvidia, launch something good, so that ATI offers better.

Aman27deep said:
man with a stock fan, these might run cooler than room temp (on air).

You cant say that.
The architecture on these chips(R900) is suppose to very completely different from the R800. If designed very poorly, these could be Ovens , just see Nvidia with their 40nm and compare that with ATI's 40nm.

My point - depends on architecture more than the manufacturing process itself.

sato1986 said:
Since Nvidia has got nothing to give ATI competition, ATI will take its own time to launch a new series.

Thoughts: Buckle up Nvidia, launch something good, so that ATI offers better.

i wouldn't say nvidia has 'nothing' to give ati competition. most people who have gt4xx cards say they are beasts. they are not running nearly as hot or loud as the reviews made them out to be, and they are decimating benchmarks left and right. give nvidia one generation for the process to mature and they will easily be out in front again unless ati pulls another rabbit out of the hat. from what i hear, 28nm gpus will not come for 6000 series, but beyond that. amd/ati is gearing up for a refresh in late summer/early winter and their next gen is not expected for a long time.

rajan1311 said:
My point - depends on architecture more than the manufacturing process itself.

agreed. the ati 5xxx series is seeing the benefits of design that were started back with the hd2xxx series of cards. it took one generation for them to catch up to nvidia, and then another to leave them behind. currently, fermi has a lot of potential that will become more apparent as they refresh their cards and bring in the next generation.

According to Donanimhaber.com, AMD is working on 2nd generation DX11 line-up and it will be based on completly new GPU architecture. Donanim Haber also underlines that, next-gen cards will be launched in 2nd half of this year as Dirk Meyer (AMD' CEO) said before. Still there is no official infos about the technical details of new architecture but some people speculates that new design supports MIMD desing approach.

nApoleon said R9xx chip should be the time to tape out at 40nm node,less stream processors than Cypress,performance target is 10%-20% higher than GTX480.There are some changes in architecture,but it's not a totally new architecture.

Q3 listing HD6750, 40nm process, the chip area of more than Cypress, less than 400 mm2, still 1600SP/256bit bit wide, divided into two 800SP modules, each of which has an enhanced off Tessellation Unit and a Rasterizer, two modules parallel-oriented graphics. Triangles rate doubled, Tessellation 3-4 times performance improvement. L2 Cache redesigned to significantly improve the performance of GPGPU. Core frequency of 900Mhz-1GHz, TDP of 225 watts or so. Target performance is 10% -20%, GTX480, expectations and GF100 B1 version of its flagship chip, the performance was flat. North Island family, the first product in the maturity process of verifying the new structure.

Q4-Q1 next year, listing HD6670/6650, single 800SP modules / 128bit bit width, Water 28nm process.

Q1-Q2 next year, listing HD6870, 28nm process, four 800SP module, 512bit-bit wide return to core area of 400-450 mm between the target performance of dual-core card Fermi suppression.

Back