Attention : HDD Buyers and Sellers

Status
Not open for further replies.

kuld33p

Disciple
I am writing this so that you guys don't end up having something which you never intended to buy..

Buyers : Points to remember/consider before buying the HDD on TE.

• Make sure the HDD is not physically damaged in any case. The reason being even if the HDD is in warranty you would not get RMA for a physically damaged HDD.
  • While looking at the screenshots of the sellers HDD make sure you ask for HDD's picture from each and every angle. and look for any physical damage.

Sellers : Points to remember before you sell your HDD on TE.
  • HDD is a fragile item, so keep a good shipment in mind with your sale. You don't want to be end up being blamed for shipping kaput HDD. The buyer would understand.
  • Pack it well guys, Pack it well. Wrapping it up in a piece of plastic paper will not do anything.. It has to be in a hard cardboard box.. and use a bigger box.. so that even if the item gets small wear and tear the HDD remains intact..
  • Try and wipe the drive clean before sending the drive so that there is no chance of recovery of deleted files / sensitive information

I just wanted to share this. If you have anything to add, please share..

Mods if you feel I am providing misleading information, then feel free to delete this thread.

Wrong Section...And why do u have a FS title for advice?

Packaging and other guidelines are already mentioned in the sticky section...U need to read other threads

I had sent an 500 GB Rmae'd HDD in excellent packing condition. When it reached the buyer it was dead. Again he had to go for warranty. Internal HDD are too fragile never meant to be taken out of an PC cabinet after installation of OS. If you keep the hdd working in one place from the date of purchase it will be working as long one can have it.

^^^... The sticky is there for packaging but how many people follow it & what can anybody do if they receive a shipment badly packed..

Twice I got HDD bought from TE in paper envelope with 5mm sheet of thermacol on both side... Seller was so ignorant he refused to any wrongdoing. Even though I had asked him to pack it nicely. Told him step by step on how to use bubble wrap & a cardboard box... The HDD's were in warranty & thankfully no physical damage, so I got them RMAed. But it was the trouble nevertheless due to the ignorance of seller. Only thing I did was not to give any trader rating & didn't received one as well ...

Also once I asked a seller to put up more & clear pictures of HDD so that one can see the physical damage if any & he replied with, only if I buy it. Strangely there were other supporters for him who told one picture is enough with name written on paper. I didn't argued & didn't pressed it much.

Its a hard hitting issue, not just with HDD but other stuff as well. Got a DVD Writer from other forum & agreed on private courier or Speed Post. The seller sent it through normal post, again in a badly packed condition.

People seems to be allergic to the use of bubble wrap. Either they don't use it or use so less that its always insufficient. Once an item is sold they think now all liabilities lies with the buyer, just pack it anyhow & send it across. :mad:

Even dealers also seems to be ignorant of the need of proper packing most of the time. My last HDD was again sent in a padded paper envelope but the courier was good or maybe I was slightly lucky & it survived (thankfully)...

Guys, I know there is a sticky.. But I am not talking about the packaging only here..

My intention was to aware buyers specifically those who buy the stuff blindly.. just by looking at the price tag. specially HDDs as they are fragile in nature and cost a bloody huge amount.. I am going through that situation now.. thought would be nice If I share my experience and learning with you guys..

HailStonE said:
Twice I got HDD bought from TE in paper envelope with 5mm sheet of thermacol on both side... Seller was so ignorant he refused to any wrongdoing. Even though I had asked him to pack it nicely. Told him step by step on how to use bubble wrap & a cardboard box... The HDD's were in warranty & thankfully no physical damage, so I got them RMAed. But it was the trouble nevertheless due to the ignorance of seller. Only thing I did was not to give any trader rating & didn't received one as well ...

Why did you not leave a negative rating? Were you afraid of retaliation? Ratings no TE can be moderated if required. By not using the facility present, you are just undermining the system as a whole.

HailStonE said:
Also once I asked a seller to put up more & clear pictures of HDD so that one can see the physical damage if any & he replied with, only if I buy it. Strangely there were other supporters for him who told one picture is enough with name written on paper. I didn't argued & didn't pressed it much.
Again.. if you see something amiss, all you need to do is report the thread. TE rules require 2 pics. If you see that the rules are not being followed, just report the threads. Mods DO take action.

i think along with these guidelines for HDD's the screen shots of HDTune should be included....with all tab screen shots and all tests run....this helps a lot......

when i got one hdd from TE : i had specifically asked for the HDTune screen shots which i received promptly.....now when the hdd reached me , i performed the same tests again and viola! it ended up showing me bad sectors, a LOT of them. So even though the packing was fine, and everything else was in good shape, the hdd ended up with bad sectors in the transfer from the seller to me. Now, had I not asked for the HDTune screen shots, it would be a big issue with the seller, me thinking he sold me kaput hdd and he thinking i messed it up and putting the blame on him......all i did was inform the seller abt the incident that happened (no mistake of his of course) and RMA'ed the HDD.

thetechmind said:
i think along with these guidelines for HDD's the screen shots of HDTune should be included....with all tab screen shots and all tests run....this helps a lot......

That won't make any difference.. what if I have 2 similar HDDs and one of them got kaput.. and i ran HD tune on the other one and sold the faulty one..

I am still thinking what can be done to make sure we get to see the working HDD rather than its picture..

guys what do you think ?? any idea..

^^nope different HDD have different serial no, so but verifying the serial no you can determine whats fishy?

kuld33p said:
That won't make any difference.. what if I have 2 similar HDDs and one of them got kaput.. and i ran HD tune on the other one and sold the faulty one..

I am still thinking what can be done to make sure we get to see the working HDD rather than its picture..

guys what do you think ?? any idea..

the possibilities are endless pal....you can just go on and on and on......for the picutres also it can be the same thing, what if the top pic is of the hdd for sale....(which might have a broken/ruster/ chipped pcb) , but then if there is a second hdd of the same model then that can also be done......like i said , the possibilities can just go on and on.....the end conclusion might be posting a video....show the video of the hdd...all sides , top, rear , assemble in pc...boot pc , run hdd tune , run chkdsk......forget everyone, 0.1% wouldnt do that....

Let me put up a guide for CPU sellers/ buyers, then mobo buyers/ sellers, then RAM buyers/ sellers, PSUs, Mobiles, cameras etc etc......They're all fragile, aren't they?

^^ but those don't usually die in transit as much as hdds. And most of the other stuff comes with decent boxes unlike hdds which need extra packing.

stalker said:
Why did you not leave a negative rating? Were you afraid of retaliation? Ratings no TE can be moderated if required. By not using the facility present, you are just undermining the system as a whole.

I was not afraid of retaliation. I simply RMA'ed the HDD's & got the replacement. So in the end I got to use the HDD's. its only the hassle of getting the RMA which turned me off... If that RMA had been refused then you may have seen a thread regarding this... In any case this would had been the logical solution given to me by almost every member to get a RMA... :p
stalker said:
Again.. if you see something amiss, all you need to do is report the thread. TE rules require 2 pics. If you see that the rules are not being followed, just report the threads. Mods DO take action.

2 pics will never cover all the areas of a HDD & its not that difficult to hide physical damage & blame it on the courier later.

Bottom line I see is to make seller accountable & responsible for proper packing & delivery. He cannot wash his hands off, but its extremely difficult for TE since its not a trading platform & TE has no authoritative regulation to intervene & get a refund for the buyer. If a buyer gets into trouble getting RMA for a HDD then only you will see threads like these...

Once money is transferred & seller sends a defective product or maybe didn't took proper care to pack the package then nobody can do anything. That's why I make sure to only buy from older members who are slightly more trustworthy with packing... There are numerous hardware I bought from members here & only twice I had to face bad packing/ transit damage... Though I don't want this to happen anymore..:ashamed:

Thats plan BS. Video takes it too far. Why not just not deal with people without checking the itrust score?

I dealt with abhi and his packing was top notch. Bubble on HDD -> HDD inside a box-> bubble on box -> whole thing covered with lots of tape and a layer of bubble and tape again.

Just say no to deal with people with low or no score unless in the same city and opting for pickup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back