Windows Audio ripping issue

red dragon

Justiceforall
Skilled
I have started using JRiver Media Center (trial version, yet to buy) after lot of issues with Foobar DSD playback. So far as playback is concerned, it is working fine. But ripping audio CDs to FLAC has become a major problem. The iso images are around 700MB for every CD ( don`t remember how I made those iso images from CDs years ago) and after ripping them to FLAC the folder size is getting too large (3-4GB)
It is entirely my stupidity that somehow I am up-sampling everything, but have tried everything in the encoder settings without any reduction in file size. Anyone using this software? Can you please help me with the encoder setting? 16, 44.1 is all I need. These are not SACD images or anything fancy, just normal audio CDs.

I don't have any cds to try where i am right now, but i use dbpoweramp. it does ripping and encoding really well. Have you already ripped the cds to iso? flac size should be about half cd size, 3-500mb typically.

another one of the popular rippers around is eac. But i think it outputs .wav files and then you have to do another step to flac. then there's https://www.freac.org/ but i havent used it.

can you post some screenshots of the settings page?

Yes, ripped all the CDs to .iso years ago. Will post a screenshot.
Yes, with foobar also, the size was 300-500 MB. In this program I can only set the bit depth and compression level.
I managed to rip Pearl Jam's Ten to 450 MB. It was upsampling everything to 24 bit.

Yes, ripped all the CDs to .iso years ago. Will post a screenshot.
Yes, with foobar also, the size was 300-500 MB. In this program I can only set the bit depth and compression level.
I managed to rip Pearl Jam's Ten to 450 MB. It was upsampling everything to 24 bit.
What kind of music you listen to?

If you don't want to rip them and looking for shortcut, I can invite you to redacted.cd, you will find almost everything there..

I know most people now days has stop piracy after all OTT service but for music I still relay on torrent..

The only SACD I have is Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon.
The iso is less than 4GB in size, but the flacs are getting huge!!

Try ripping one song to wavpack (wv) format. It's lossless like flac. Jriver apparently has support for ripping to wv format.

Flac settings on the Jriver help page
Free Lossless Audio Codec (FLAC): FLAC is a popular lossless, freely available open source encoder. [2]
  • Level Settings: 0 - 8. Sets the level of compression (not sound, which is always lossless), 8 meaning most compressed/time/effort

What kind of music you listen to?

If you don't want to rip them and looking for shortcut, I can invite you to redacted.cd, you will find almost everything there..

I know most people now days has stop piracy after all OTT service but for music I still relay on torrent..
Thanks a ton man!! I only listen to 50 CDs over and over again, mostly 70s rock, some grunge and post rock.
I ripped them all to ALAC ( was an Apple slave) and stored them in 2, 256GB cards, and can't find one of them.
What's the difference between wav and wav pack? We all export stems to wave from the DAW, but what is wav pack? I saw it in JRiver alongside usual wav ( which are huge uncompressed)

Last edited:
What's the difference between wav and wav pack? We all export stems to wave from the DAW, but what is wav pack? I saw it in JRiver alongside usual wav ( which are huge uncompressed)

It's basically lossless compressing of wav files. with a lot more features. personally i would just stick with flac.

Flac settings on the Jriver help page

Free Lossless Audio Codec (FLAC): FLAC is a popular lossless, freely available open source encoder. [2]
  • Level Settings: 0 - 8. Sets the level of compression (not sound, which is always lossless), 8 meaning most compressed/time/effort

FLAC compression setting should be a minimum 5. No harm in using 8 either.

I think the size issue was the 24-bit setting. Did you get 450mb after setting it to 16-bit?

Back