Graphic Cards Audio through Graphics card

Guys , I have an old gigabyte 9600GT GPU . The card has two dvi ports but no HDMI port ! I have purchased an DVI to HDMI converter and using it to connect my pc to my 55' HDTV . I can only see the display but no audio .
I have read somewhere that these old nvidia cards can pass audio through the DVI port . For that we need some kind of connecter to be connected to the card and the mobo . I dont have that connecter since the card was purchased second hand . Can anyone kindly tell me where to buy the connecter online or any one has a spare , i will purchase it .

Directly outputting sound from DVI is not possible(considering it is digital video interface). You have two options. First is, to find a Y connector with inputs as DVI and 3.5mm and output as HDMI. But this is redundant because you can just use the DVI port for video and use thew audio out on your PC to output sound to the 3.5mm jack on your TV, to keep things as simple as possible.

Directly outputting sound from DVI is not possible(considering it is digital video interface). You have two options. First is, to find a Y connector with inputs as DVI and 3.5mm and output as HDMI. But this is redundant because you can just use the DVI port for video and use thew audio out on your PC to output sound to the 3.5mm jack on your TV, to keep things as simple as possible.

Incorrect. Both the parts actually. There is no Y connector I am aware of that takes such inputs and convert them to HDMI.

Secondly, sound over DVI is possible from certain cards - AMD HD3xxx and GTX 2XX series onwards. By using a DVI to HDMI adapter/cable, this can be connected to a TV or an AVR to get the sound output.

If the GPU supports it, this link has it explained clearly (same as Eddy's link) - http://www.overclock.net/t/1180980/audio-through-hdmi-on-my-gtx-260-w-xtreme-music

OK so I checked the cards website and it does support sound over DVI but only issue is that i cant find the mentioned spdif cable . Can anyone post a link where i can buy it online .

Back