Android Backup and restore functionality

vyral_143

Jarvis
Staff member
Super Mod
Hello everyone,

For Apple eco-system, iTunes handles complete backup and restore functionality. It does not need any jail-break or such tinkering. When I do a factory restore I can simply backup all data and restore it to same point before factory reset. E.g. My WhatsApp chats with a contact could be resumed from where I had left.

I am wondering if there is similar functionality for Android devices. I do not want to use custom ROMs or recoveries. It would be of great help if you can share approach of this.

Do mention phone model, OS along with your approach. :)

@vyral_143 You need a Nandroid backup. It backs up everything. You need to flash a custom recovery first though, like CWM or TWRP.
If you are not interested in flashing a custom recovery, you could try out a couple of apps like Helium (made by CWM team) or G cloud backup.

In the Settings, you would get the option of Backup to Google servers, in that one option is Settings, Apps including Data.

WhatsApp and Photos are automatically backed up to Google Drive. Install Google Photos App. Very useful in cleaning up the phone.

Titanium Backup - creates backup of the Apps + data.
Needs Root permission though.
And in the paid version, there seems to be option for Cloud Storage (I use the free version. Not sure how it would work)

I use Titanium to backup/restore during flashing.
Phone : SGS3 on CM13 nightly

Thanks everyone !

I am currently reading about G Drive backup. In Android M, that functionality is reviewed on Arstechnica. I also read that it has cap of 25MB data per app and developers have control if they allow their apps to get backedup or not.

Would not Nandroid backup restore OS too ? Last when I was flashing ZIPs, I remember it was restoring OS too.

Titanium Backup creates one single backup file ?

Is there any such inbuilt functionality in MiUi and Cynogenmod/OS?

Also how is rooting scenario at present in droids ? I had read that MiUi will lock bootloader, Samsung had some feature which will act like 'fuse' and affect warranty.

These questions may be noob but I am away from Android since 3 years now and lot would have been changed.

Would not Nandroid backup restore OS too ? Last when I was flashing ZIPs, I remember it was restoring OS too.
Yes.
Titanium Backup creates one single backup file ?
A flashable zip can be created in the paid version.
But with free version it creates a lots of files. :)

Is there any such inbuilt functionality in MiUi and Cynogenmod/OS?
I am using Cyanogenmod for last one few months - I don't see any such feature built in.

Most of the games have Google Play sync support which syncs your game play, so you should start back where you left. This also works for multiple devices.

For most apps, I dont see the point of having backups since it syncs with something online.

Your best bet is TitaniumBackup. Buy the paid version and send your backups to the cloud, else use Google Drive sync and sync the backup folder with cloud - free version is limited to 1 folder only.

For Titanium Backup, root permission is needed.

How is rooting scenario at present in droids ? I had read that MiUi will lock bootloader, Samsung had some feature which will act like 'fuse' and affect warranty.

For Titanium Backup, root permission is needed.

How is rooting scenario at present in droids ? I had read that MiUi will lock bootloader, Samsung had some feature which will act like 'fuse' and affect warranty.

Most phones except Nexus, YU and ZUK do not support unlocking bootloader without losing warranty. Xiaomi has not officially stated, but some say the bootloader cannot be unlocked.

AFAIK MI gives warranty on root cant say about the unlocked boot loader though , and I can confirm that oneplus did give me warranty on a bootloader unlocked device.

Back