CPU/Mobo Bad capcitors on Asus k8N-E m/b...

deejay

Skilled
Yesterday a TE member sent me his Asus K8N-E m/b for repairs. apparently one of the caps feeding the chipset was bulging as seen below.....

and here is the general state of the m/b....

in the pics above Note the healthy deposit of mother earth, spread evenly across the m/b. !!!
The space between the chipset h/s (blue) and the chipset is fully blocked by balls of dust ....:no: :(

The rear connectors coated with nature ....

above is the picture of the firewire controller....the pins are fully "coated' and "protected" by dirt.

Now i am seriously considering the following options before i take the soldering iron to the m/b ...
1) Put the m/b in the washing m/c for some heavy duty washing and rinsing ...

2) give it to my household "dhobi" or perhaps give it to some professional dry cleaning co.

3)increase my mediclaim insurance substantially since working with this m/b in its current state will give me asthma attack -> bronchitis -> Tuberculosis.
the microscopic dust particles seen above are extremely dangerous for the lungs and the respiratory system. if i am not online on msn for a few days henceforth then the members can assume i have high fever .... ;)

Note to the ownwer of the m/b.
(Jokes apart)
I have replaced the cap as of posting this. will test it later tonight and confirm when you can take delivery.

my intention of creating this thread was to make all the members aware about the importance of keeping the components clean by periodic maintainence, the whole rig should be cleaned of dust and grime atleast every quarter ...(3 months) ....

ps: the next time any member requires my services please see to it that the component is cleaned thoroughly before sending it to me. otherwise i would be forced to return it as is ...(nishy ....are you listening :) )

My rig is spotlessly clean.

Hardly any dust at all :bleh:..

High RPM fans 4tw! :p...

But anyways, Thanks for posting this deejay, it would make some people, rather most people aware, of the importance to keep it clean.

Mainly, every1 should use dust filters, everywhere, so that Dust can never really come in. Also, High RPM and CFM fans, wont allow the Dust to settle. :).

:S... this is pretty shocking..thats a nice board :no: ... i TRY to clean my motherboard once in a while but there are certain spots which i cant er reach ..cos they are narrow...i dont have a blower but i have a hair dryer :S ..and i have no plans of using it :p ..any other ideas for cleanin up these narrow spots (eg between the capacitors around the socket and the neatsink ..dimms etc )

Ouch! You need a pretty big dust buster for that Deejay :p
A blower should not cost you more than Rs. 500. You could also use a large paint brush to dust it off.

DarkNight said:
A blower should not cost you more than Rs. 500. You could also use a large paint brush to dust it off.

er a paint brush ..is that safe..coz i have one ..u sure it wont results in my board crapping out bcoz of ESD??? can i use the same for the graphics card ..cleanin the memory chips etc on it ???

i dont need to buy a blower my friend has one.. :D

^^ i think its pretty safe. have been cleanin my stuff using a paint brush for the past 3 years :) just make sure you get a soft one

cool then i guess i better start cleaning :D if anything happens i will sue checksum :bleh: and dark knight too! :rofl:..kiddin
u guys saved me rather..i was plannin on using a toothbrush bfore :S

mohit said:
whoz that member anyways ?? whoz d dirty guy :bleh: ??

Since i respect the privacy of others i cannot / will not disclose the name. if he does it its fine with me.
i had some more urgent info. to give him regarding his m/b. i think i will pm him since posting the technical details here will not be taken in the right spirit by the staff and i may receive mid-night summons from one of them ....:no: ;) (just kidding)
To the owner of the m/b: if you read this please note that now it is showing 3.1V. but there are other heating issues, and a potentially weak transistor so kindly contact me on my mobile as soon as possible.

ps: now i am going to arun rulez place since he has some heating issues and has sent me an SOS ...
most probably anshul (XT) will o/c the shit out of that rig ...lets see ....:eek:hyeah:

shrey said:
cool then i guess i better start cleaning :D if anything happens i will sue checksum :bleh: and dark knight too! :rofl:..kiddin
u guys saved me rather..i was plannin on using a toothbrush bfore :S
checksum is from chennai so the brush is fine. So also the techtree article refers to mumbai where again the brush is fine. Actually safe use of the brush depends on humidity. If you do it at a place and time of high humidity, there is no chance of static build up and it is absolutely safe.

But in dry climes, you can zap your board. I have been zapped several times, the most memorable being in Tucson, Arizona where the humidity is very low and touching anything becomes scary.

@ shadow yeah even i was surprised ..TT is usually loaded with biased reviews lol

@ EMIL dude ur scaring me :( is 79% humidity ok coz thats the humidity in coimbatore

this is at night so i guess its best to clean at night :)

Every computer part has an temperature and humidity range. Even 90% humidity is NP for a modern day computer, just that make sure you use silica gel packets and regular blow dust inside the PC.

@shrey and evilution - hey I think I was misunderstood. From evilutions post it implies that high humidity is bad for electronics. My post had nothing to do with that. I was refering to static being generated by rubbing action of brush on component. In that context, high humidity is a big advantage because it doesn't permit static build up. That is why you'll rarely have such situations in Mumbai except in winter when the humidity gets low or in a centrally air-conditioned environment.

If you walk on a carpeted floor and find you get a zap when you touch any metallic object, you know it is well past the time to be careful. :D

Back