Budget 21-30k Bare bones PC for Movies, surfing and MS office

Pats

Disciple
  1. What is your budget?
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • CPU - Intel Core2Duo
    • Motherboard - Asus p5bvm
    • GPU - None
    • RAM - 4 GB
    • Monitor - Asus 19 LCD
    • PSU - Quantum 450
    • Cabinet: Frontech noble
    • This rig was assembled in early 2007
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • Monitor - Asus 19 LCD (to be upgraded soon)
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • CPU - Intel i3
    • Motherboard - Do i really need a B85? Or should i go with H81. I would prefer Asus
    • Ram - 8GB
    • HDD - 1 TB internal
    • GPU - None
    • PSU - I think anything around 400 should be okay
    • Cabinet (Looking at something small to medium size)
  5. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • Yes, will upgrade the following within 6 months
    • Monitor - 21-22 inch
  6. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Delhi (Nehru Place)
    • Open to online purchase (Yes please suggest online sites where i can but them)
  7. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • No
  8. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Browsing
    • Desktop Processing
    • Download rig, 24x7 operation
    • Watching HD movies
  9. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • Just that i prefer Asus stuff
  10. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • Maybe CS once in a while. None really TBH
  11. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
  12. Are you looking to overclock?
    • NO
  13. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 7 64 bit

Intel Core i3 4150 ~7500
Asus H81M-V3 ~4500
Kingston HyperX Fury 8 GB 1866Mhz ~3560
Western Digital Blue 1TB ~3700
Seasonic S12 II 430 ~4000

Total ~23260 (without cabinet)

Intel Core i3 4150 ~7500
Asus H81M-V3 ~4500
Kingston HyperX Fury 8 GB 1866Mhz ~3560
Western Digital Blue 1TB ~3700
Seasonic S12 II 430 ~4000

Total ~23260 (without cabinet)

This is pretty much what i have narrowed down to as well. Also for 100 bucks more i can get a i3 4160. Worth it?
Also would buying from nehru place be a good idea? or should i shop online?

This is pretty much what i have narrowed down to as well. Also for 100 bucks more i can get a i3 4160. Worth it?
Also would buying from nehru place be a good idea? or should i shop online?

Yes, you can go ahead with 4160. You may first note down prices from online sources and pay a visit to local sellers. Choose from where you getting better quotes and service.

PS: Do not skimp on PSU.

You can get a Corsair VS series PSU for a lesser price and include the Cooler master elite 311 cabinet for around 2400/-
Thanks mate. Your thread from earlier was very useful . My requirements are quite similar.

One last question. How much will a win7 64 bit cost ? Available still? Looking for a retail copy

Of course a seasonic will be better if the budget allows. I went a bit over-budget because of the B85 mobo. But do get a good cabinet as well. CM elite 311 is the best VFM branded cabinet out there.
Also, as mentioned above, note down the best online prices for the components you want and go to some reputed local dealer. Most probably they will match or better the price.

• CPU - Intel Core i3 4150 -7800,
  • Motherboard - Asus H81M-V3 -4500,
  • Ram - Corsair Value Select 8GB 1600Mhz -3300,
  • HDD - WD Caviar Blue 1 TB -3600,
  • PSU - Antec VP450P -2400,
  • Cabinet - Cooler Master Elite 311 -2600.
  • Total -24,000.

Thanks vyral, suhail and Sunil! Have given the list to local assembler in gurgaon and asked for prices and total assembled cost. If there is a lot of difference I will be heading to NP tomorrow :)

Lastly please suggest how can I purchase a win 7 64 original copy..?

I had seen few guys on Reddit selling keys for Win 7 at approx $15-20. This was for professional edition.

How much will that cost? Will that be the Win 7 price or the price of Win 10 (or is it the same?). Is it possible we can get a wind 7 copy for a cheaper rate and then upgrade to 10?

Finally got my PC!!! :happy:

i3 4160 - 7700
Asus H81M CS - 3400
wdd 1tb blue - 3700
CM elite 311 - 2350
Kingston hyperx Fury 8gb - 3300
microtek ups - 1900
Antec vp 500 - 2800

Prices are 10-20 bucks up or down. Rounded off for the sake of ease. Anyways the total i paid was 25550/-

The only 'mistake' i think i made was getting a 500 w smps when 350-400 would have sufficed. Overkill and more importantly needles waste of electricity. Between checking availability and price i let this slip from my mind. Also Asus H81M V3 was turning out to be too expensive. The best i got was 4700.

Oh and caved in and got me LG 22 IPS :D. BTW that things looks gorgeous! Black and deep grey. Oozes sophistication! Got it for 8300

Windows 7 64 installed and i am already up and running (yup typing this on the system).

Once again thanks everyone for all your suggestions and help. You guys are awesome! Have a beer on me! :)

Last edited:
Hello! I am back after 4 years! :D

Still running the same rig, however now have a 125 GB SSD running windows 10. Well i am looking to upgrade the PC. I want to be able to play CSGo with out much issue. Please suggest what upgrades i need to carry out!

Thanks!

Back