Budget 0-20k basic Home pc build for the kids

delhiboy1

Disciple
Questions
  1. What is your budget?
    • 20K+/-

2. hardware component i am looking to buy
    • CPU - intel or amd.. no preference there...
    • cabinet case - micro atx or low profile or htpc type
    • Motherboard - any compatible motherboard

• GPU - none ,if the integrated can playback 4k blu-rips

• PSU - nice good solid vfm model preferred..

• SSD Definitely ..don really have much storage requirements.. need something that can load the OS and a few programs. anything >100 gb will be fine really...(for reference currently using 55gb of my 128gb Samsung evo on my htpc)

• RAM : 8Gb in single or dual channel config will be ok
    • webcam
    • UPS: Just enough backup required in which a safe shutdown can be done.
which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
  • Windows 10 64 bit home
    • jus to make it complete , please also suggest a monitor as well (budget separate )
  1. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • NEHRU PLACE OR Open to online purchase
  2. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • Yes
  3. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware (4-5 years of usage)

• kids online classes.. 1 hour per day
    • Browsing
    • Desktop Processing
    • HTPC
    • Watching HD movies

4. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. Gaming - none
    2. Desktop - planning to use a 32" MI TV 4A Pro as monitor
  5. Are you looking to overclock?
    • No

If windows is not a strict requirement, have you considered a raspberry pi4? 8gb or even 4gb one can be great starter computer for kids.

If you are looking for a budget daily use system with no gaming involved, i would reccomend an Intel NUC mini PC. there are cheap celeron and pentium models around 9k, they are barebone units with everything except storage and memory. add to that a stick of ram and a small hdd. You will be set. I Have a 8th gen core i3 NUC as my primary daily use pc, bought and outfitted around diwali last year totaling to 27k (becasue of ssd and more ram). but you can easily get yours done under 20k. these units are small, compact and draw much less power than regular tower builds (they dont need a seperate UPS and can even run on inverter power). As for monitor, i would recommend any model from dell or hp, whichever catches your fancy.

Try to avoid the 'cheapest possible' route as you will leave a lot of value on the table. At the same time, a SFF case will take budget away from more important components. Here is a sample build for your consideration:- https://www.primeabgb.com/cart/?cxecrt-retrieve-cart=160424

Absolutely my exact sentiment.. the budget is not a hard limit.. but i would like to remain the same ball park.. Ordered the monitor and the webcam.

Still need to decide up on the PC config.. I would like Intel based system as well..
There is a nice 4K /UHD Blu Ray playback capability starting from the 7th gen Intel platform itself..

Is the 9th Gen 9100F any good? seems to be cheap at around 6K price..

okay.. so that is a bummer... Do the Ryzen do 4K playback ( Blu Ray rips) , with HDR , Dolby Vision & Atmos passthrough?

I don't have a 3200g or watch Bluray rips on my PC so I cannot give a conclusive answer but the Vega 8 is on average 10-15% slower than the 750Ti and a lot of people have built HTPC's with it so I guess it should work fine
Since the motherboard has HDMI 1.4 only it'll output 4K @ 30Hz.

okay.. so that is a bummer... Do the Ryzen do 4K playback ( Blu Ray rips) , with HDR , Dolby Vision & Atmos passthrough?
The Radeon IGP is very capable. It is also cheaper, on a superior process node and platform. Not sure why you'd even consider Intel.

4k playback, while possible, is really stretching the scope of what a build like this should be. Your MI TV 4A Pro is not going to be a problem and if you want to buy a new display, consider a good quality FHD TV or a 2k monitor instead. Panel quality matters a whole lot more than size/res and a bunch of acronyms, especially without the appropriate hardware to drive it.

most cpu can run 4 k , if you are talking movies than movies are at 24 fps which can be run on most of the cpu .when you say youtube 4k 60 fps thats a different story and netflix content is mostly 24 fps so ryzen 3200g build is still good value

I bought an old refurbished OEM Lenovo thinkcentre desktop for like around 6K from a dealer on olx. Dual core e5500 i think? Came with 4gb ram and 320 gb hdd. Popped in my gt 210 so that HDMI audio output would work and everything is working fine after that, runs youtube videos at 1080p absolutely fine and works great with Microsoft teams for classes. Your budget is much higher though so maybe you will definitely get a much better pc for that price, but i'm pretty happened with what i got for 6k.

If windows is not a strict requirement, have you considered a raspberry pi4? 8gb or even 4gb one can be great starter computer for kids.

Is there a webcam that I can use with the RPI4 ?

If yes, I am willing to give this a try as my current computing requirement is very low..
Post automatically merged:

Okay.. let me expand my thoughts a bit.. while I would like to spend as little as possible currently, I would nevertheless like the option of upgrading this to a full fledged HTPC machine with enough processing power, HDCP/HDMI 2.1 Compliance to playback 4K Blu Ray rips, with atleast HDR & Atmos/DTSX Passthrough to my Marantz AVR.

Dolby Vision will be a nice plus.

Whether this requires a seperate GPU like 1050Ti or 1650 Super or can be handled by the IGP is the real question?
And of course nothing in the 4K chain should break ..

I currently have a 55" FHD Vu , with plans to upgrade to a nice 4K OLED in a year or so.

Even in my current HTPC , with an i3 4130, I can happily see 1080p rips, HW acceleration through MPCHC. But it can't play, 4K.

My laptop with a 7th gen Intel can however play 4K with VLC.

Last edited:
I currently have a 55" FHD Vu , with plans to upgrade to a nice 4K OLED in a year or so.

Even in my current HTPC , with an i3 4130, I can happily see 1080p rips, HW acceleration through MPCHC. But it can't play, 4K.

My laptop with a 7th gen Intel can however play 4K with VLC.
Radeon IGP will play 4k just fine, subject to the rest of the display chain. You can always add a discrete GPU later on although you probably won't need to.

Now that you've mentioned that you have an HTPC already, your best bet might just be an entry level card. Worry about these things after you buy your 4k display.

If you are looking for a budget daily use system with no gaming involved, i would reccomend an Intel NUC mini PC. there are cheap celeron and pentium models around 9k, they are barebone units with everything except storage and memory. add to that a stick of ram and a small hdd. You will be set. I Have a 8th gen core i3 NUC as my primary daily use pc, bought and outfitted around diwali last year totaling to 27k (becasue of ssd and more ram). but you can easily get yours done under 20k. these units are small, compact and draw much less power than regular tower builds (they dont need a seperate UPS and can even run on inverter power). As for monitor, i would recommend any model from dell or hp, whichever catches your fancy.

I somehow missed this post. Could you share some good 7/8th gen options..? NUC fits the bill perfectly.. I could attach my i3-4230 HTPC for the classes thing & get me a NUC /HTPC!

I somehow missed this post. Could you share some good 7/8th gen options..? NUC fits the bill perfectly.. I could attach my i3-4230 HTPC for the classes thing & get me a NUC /HTPC!

Glad you liked my suggestion. :) (i was amazed at how much they could cram into a 4 by 4 inch box when i first opened it lol). So the model i am using is a NUC8i3BEH bought from amazon on diwali sale, its price hasnt changed much its still around 23k, but because we are budget limited, i would suggest the following models:

NUC7CJYH @ around 10k (7th gen celeron). https://www.intel.in/content/www/in/en/products/boards-kits/nuc/kits/nuc7cjyh.html OR

NUC7PJYH @ around 15k (7th gen silver pentium). https://www.intel.in/content/www/in/en/products/boards-kits/nuc/kits/nuc7pjyh.html

Though these are just entry level CPUs, they are no slouch and can handle your planned day to day tasks with ease.

Do keep in mind that my model has 2 SATA ports one m.2 and one regular, while the above listed models have only 1 regular SATA, which you can populate with a regular 2.5 inch SSD.

Prices quoted above are from amazon, there may be some brick and mortar stores that offer it as well. An exclusive electronics only etailer named mouser electronics has them too.

Back