Car & Bike BBC Top Gear - Discussion Thread

This episode had Matt Le Blanc, Sabine Schmitz and a Viper and I still quit post the Black hole or black pearl challenge. I just couldn't watch it.

They were stiffer than a cardboard. I have seen Sabine Schmitz on Top gear, meet the neighbors, Fifth Gear, a few ads on Youtube and she is funny and smart. Here she seemed like she had memorized the lines and monotonously delivering them, it was so god awful.

The road trip was so bad and nothing like the old ones. Had it been one of those 3 they would have repaired it and continued and heck knowing those 3 they would have made an entire episode out of that short trip. These 2 they seemed clueless about what to do to keep us entertained.

And Chris Evans - He tried too hard. So hard that it seemed like he was trying to make a show for kindergarten kids.

As much as I like Vipers (Dodge Viper SRT10 ACR being my favourite) the review of it felt horrible. Top Gear is not known for reviews but at least they knew whether they were trying to be funny (Jezza) or do a informative but funny review (Captain Slow) or just hype the car (Hamster) but they made it memorable. Memorable to an extent that when I saw the viper I was reminded of the glowing logo at the back which Jeremy made fun of when the car first came out and it made me a fan of the car squirm and when Evans was talking about power of the Viper I was thinking about the prank they pulled on Richard and messed with his car to slow him down and he was still catching the LFA and Aston.

I am not sure I will watch the rest of it but I now look forward to The Trio on Amazon and I am sure they will take potshots at the new Top Gear.

I can't even imagine how hard Jezza is laughing watching this mess. He must have sent a pic of him with the unicorn looser pose with a smug to the guys at BBC.

I forgot to mention this in the earlier post. Did you guys notice the audience? They are a lot more spread out and also everytime the camera shifts to them you can see atleast one person looking into the camera expectantly and then the moment they realize it they look towards the hosts. I might be wrong but I have never seen this before, in none of the previous seasons. Are they actually doing what Indians shows do get paid audience to make up the numbers and make it look like it is a recorded before a live audience.

If one of you can muster the courage to watch the next episode do let us know.

I forgot to mention this in the earlier post. Did you guys notice the audience? They are a lot more spread out and also everytime the camera shifts to them you can see atleast one person looking into the camera expectantly and then the moment they realize it they look towards the hosts. I might be wrong but I have never seen this before, in none of the previous seasons. Are they actually doing what Indians shows do get paid audience to make up the numbers and make it look like it is a recorded before a live audience.

If one of you can muster the courage to watch the next episode do let us know.

http://jalopnik.com/what-the-hell-top-gear-1779481253

That was a good review. New studio I guess that explains the spread out crowd.

Let me just quote myself from nearly a year back -

I hope Tiff is added to the Top Gear roster.

They should replace Hammond with Sabine Schmitz. She is fun and a good driver and nearly beat Jeremy in a van.

This isn't the whole post but if they let Sabine be her natural self (read the review in the link @psyph3r posted above) and they can add Tiff and boot Chris Evans, don't know what they should do with Matt Le Blanc but promote Chris Harris to the main show and I think we will have something to look forward to.

Matt LeBlanc comes off as a stoner with the "I am too cool for this crap" attitude in the studio as well as the drive to Blackpool...
Chris Evans is like a high pitched hormone addled teenaged girl trapped in the body of a middle aged ginger dude
and Sabine Schmitz has too little screen time to amount to anything...
Will see the second episode tomorrow to see if they sort out their places in the show or else Hasta la vista Top Gear!!!!

Last edited:
BBC shot itself in the foot with the world class clot Danny Cohen getting rid of Clarkson for nothing and then losing money that the franchise made for them essentially to keep them going. Excellent Stuff this failure. Looking forward to the trio on Amazon.

They're kinda getting better with each episode and today's was entertaining from start to finish imo, they should've started the series with this one instead of the dull cringeworthy first ep that they aired instead.

@psyph3r There was a very cringe worthy moment in episode 3. When Sabine tried to introduce the Stig and Matt with his fake laugh tried to rescue her.

I swear the extra gear episode is really good. The Ferrari review felt like it was done by someone who is a mix of Jeremy and May and the Ford review felt like how Hammond would have done it.

Sabine in the limited time was really good and the Sabine we all like to see. Chris Evans was not terrible in his review either (in comparison to his Viper review).

The Ken Block video was okay. Not very different from what we are used to seeing in his Gymkhana videos. Matt's presence here didn't matter.

The celebrities - They guests were good and played off of each other and I am not sure the lap times are really what the results were.

One thing that BBC fixed is very less studio time. They kept switching to videos quickly which was a good move.

Overall a good episode and @Marcus Fenix thanks mate.

I swear I feel stupid for wasting my bandwidth. Last week's episode gave me some hope and this week it was back to almost as bad as week 1. Please note I have not even attempted to see Episode 2 so this might be comparable to it but apart from the extra gear guys reviewing the 2 cars I kept skimming through the road trip. Absolutely horrible.

Aaaand it's official, good riddance I guess.

UXtjYJ0.jpg

I think we should start a new thread for 'The Grand Tour' and lock this thread up, with a link to the new one.

Now to hoping that Amazon brings Prime Video to India before November, and prices it reasonably. Else, again, most would be torrenting the new release.

EDIT : Afterthought - Jeff, how hard can it be?

Last edited:
Back