Been 1 day since I got the LZ8 and broke the screen

Deepak

Skilled
So, I got the Panasonic LZ8 yesterday from ebay. And guess what, dropped the damn thing today by accident while searching for the serial no. on it so that I could register on the Panasonic website for warranty purposes (talk about irony :mad:)

Nothing physically broke, except when I turn the LCD on its broken.

So, what do I do, will the Panasonic guys except the piece for LCD repairs? If not, how much would a new LCD cost and where do I get it from?

Somebody, please help!!!

-Deepak

yeah if there's no noticeable physical damage on the outside, then you could try telling them that it stopped working on it's own, else the repairing is gonna cost you atleast half the price of the cam :(

Ueh lcd's on phones/players cost a lot ( paid 1.1 k for a sony w550). If it's totally black you can try bluffing it stopped working but if it has distorted colours then get ready to shell out your pockets.

errrr , really sad to hear this....is it something like this ? http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/1967/07100515570qn.jpg externally seems to be okie , but internally cracked and evident.....see the thing is if its dud and completely black out then there are chances u may get lucky and get a replacement under warranty BUT if this is how the lcd appears then its under the "Physical Damage" category. A LCD will not crack like this just during plain usage , nor does this camera lcd has a pre-history of such issues so you cant really say problem with the lcd built.

But still you can give it a try , like u said play n00b to the core.....like u go and say ' when i switched it on in the morning, THIS is what i see'

well, it will be pretty hard to get the camera lcd in the first place. not too many people actually replace them unlike cell phones.

and in case you get them, they wont certainly come cheap. and are you sure the lens is working ok ?

Yep, lens seems ok, clicked a few pics and uploaded them onto the PC. They seem fine.

Will the panasonic people be able to replace the LCD though? Even If they are charging around 1-1.2k, I guess it would be worth, better then getting a new camera for sure.

just delete all pics off it, make sure you delete everything and just to be shure, shred all the data off it,

Go there play dumb..say its a brand new camera and all they'l agree most probably..

So is to better to say its a brand new camera which I got like this, or do I say that that it was working ok but all of a sudden this happened?

Deepak said:
Yep, lens seems ok, clicked a few pics and uploaded them onto the PC. They seem fine.

Will the panasonic people be able to replace the LCD though? Even If they are charging around 1-1.2k, I guess it would be worth, better then getting a new camera for sure.

1-1.2 k wud be pretty gud if they have the lcd in stock. sony service center in pune quoted my friend abt 2.8 k to replace just the lcd(almost similar case, but the lcd was partially working) of his dsc s730 abt six months back.

either way you have a physically damaged camera, and most times they will be able to see that
but it doesnt really hurt to play dumb n see how much they quote :p

That 1-1.2k is what I am hoping they will charge, if they say some stupid about like 3k, I'd rather buy a new one and use it as a play toy (the screen is half damaged, upper half u can't see anything, bottom half colors are not coming correctly but its still ok. Images can still be clicked with a rough idea of what you are clicking.

Wish this thing had a viewfinder.

Deepak said:
That 1-1.2k is what I am hoping they will charge, if they say some stupid about like 3k, I'd rather buy a new one and use it as a play toy (the screen is half damaged, upper half u can't see anything, bottom half colors are not coming correctly but its still ok. Images can still be clicked with a rough idea of what you are clicking.

Wish this thing had a viewfinder.

well hopefully they wont be as crazy as sony.

If it's just one day ask your seller if he can help you with replacement (don't tell you dropped) may be he can help with panny

lol...u certainly can't say that its a brand new camera , if u say so u will be questioned "even though it was a damaged piece you accepted it! ?" and then you would be dumbstruck....if u say u got it online and the seller sent it to you this way then they would ask you to get back to the seller and they wont be able to assist.

Yeah you can try convincing the seller also,

loads of ideas..take your choice asap..

You can also say it shipped in the condition and you were out of station..

The problem with the seller idea is I already gave him +ve feedback and item received in ebay.

What will I say to him now, certainly can't say I received it like this.

Back