Best 3g data plans currently or best mobile internet?

MTNL 3g unlimited plan any reviews from Delhi users. Hows the speed with this plan?
mtnl towers are sh*t and max 3.2 mbps but mostly u get 1 mbps then you are lucky thats why there is unlimited plan while bsnl there are 14.4mbps towers and somewhere 21mbps maybe and there are no unlimited plan thats why

Thank you all for your replies.

So I tried looking into some of the options you provided-

Unlimited MTNL 1200/1650 - 300 Gb - cannot get one as not in one of the metro cities at the moment...

Aircel - I don't find any 395 plans offering 6 Gb of 3g data on their website.

Bsnl- From the website, they don't seem to have any unlimited plans...

I've been using a reliance 3g plan at the moment ( 750 - 10 gb ) but i want to change it because uploads don't work(maybe because of too slow speed)

Recently Airtel launched 4g services for the region, however comparable 10 gb plan to reliance is 1000 bucks + i will have to invest in new 4g dongle...

I can keep my reliance plan but i will need another smaller plan from some other provider for uploads...

Do you have any suggestions based on my situation?

Been a MTNL loyalist for 3G roaming since last 2.5 yrs. Highs & lows are there but overall amazing VFM. Rs 76 for 1GB/1Week. Helps me a lot while trotting across India.

Guys, I can confirm now that MTNL Delhi customer care aunties do not help you once you finish your 200 GB quota.

I'm using this connection with a Huawei E352 with an Asus RT-N16 router (on Asuswrt-Merlin custom firmware) in Rajasthan and it works well. SOme issues though:

1. It doesn't work well with TomatoUSB router firmware if you intend to use this with a router
2. It works perfect with dd-wrt
3. It works superbly with Asus stock firmware (Asuswrt)

So, if you guys are planning on using this as a primary Internet connection, buy a dd-wrt capable USB port equipped router and avoid the headache.

EDIT: It works well with a K3X build of dd-wrt (with the Linux 3.x kernel).

Last edited:
Hi,

I do not understand this "It doesn't work well with TomatoUSB router firmware if you intend to use this with a router", I'm using the same, ASUS RT-N16 with Tomato(shibby) v121, and UMG 1831 modem, can you let me know the issues you faced, and if possible which build of DD-WRT you used, it works with ASUS correctly just that the default Download Master is a pain and sometimes would not remove completed torrents

Please provide your feedback on dongle once you receive it.

I received the dongle(white) however i was reading a tech mag and came to know about this dongle for 3g http://www.shopclues.com/buy-binato...gclid=CNSa4d3uysACFVUnjgodJGEAOQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

I am getting max 1.40mb download speed on MTNL delhi Network. I think the drawback with this dongle ZTE is it is not wifi compatible other wise the performance is good. I can see how much I downloaded and currently using 1GB plan for Rs.76(Valid-7days)
you can make calls from you lappy/computer while the 3g is on.

drawback - cannot connect to my smartphone through wifi. i have belkin playmax router which i purchased for mtnl lanline(nw disconnected) lying unused.

Last edited:
Hi,

I do not understand this "It doesn't work well with TomatoUSB router firmware if you intend to use this with a router", I'm using the same, ASUS RT-N16 with Tomato(shibby) v121, and UMG 1831 modem, can you let me know the issues you faced, and if possible which build of DD-WRT you used, it works with ASUS correctly just that the default Download Master is a pain and sometimes would not remove completed torrents

I'm talking about the Huawei E352 here. After a disconnection, it switches back to CDROM SCSI mode and stops working as a modem, therefore not reconnecting. It works well with my Huawei E1731 though (E352 has better signal reception, so I prefer that). For DD-WRT, I'm using dd-wrt.v24-21530_NEWD-2_K3.x_big. The default Asus firmware also was causing problems, as even when the modem connected, it stopped sharing this connection over wifi and wired clients. I even tried Asuswrt-Merlin builds but they didn't really help either. It's like a hit and miss. It works sometimes but fails at times. I have had no such trouble with DD-WRT (though the wifi range is far better on Asuswrt firmware that is with the K3x builds. K26 is flaky for the Huawei E352.

I received the dongle(white) however i was reading a tech mag and came to know about this dongle for 3g http://www.shopclues.com/buy-binato...gclid=CNSa4d3uysACFVUnjgodJGEAOQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

I am getting max 1.40mb download speed on MTNL delhi Network. I think the drawback with this dongle ZTE is it is not wifi compatible other wise the performance is good. I can see how much I downloaded and currently using 1GB plan for Rs.76(Valid-7days)
you can make calls from you lappy/computer while the 3g is on.

drawback - cannot connect to my smartphone through wifi. i have belkin playmax router which i purchased for mtnl lanline(nw disconnected) lying unused.
Dude, which ZTE model is the modem? Check if it is listed here:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/3G_/_3.5G#ZTE[DOUBLEPOST=1410413186][/DOUBLEPOST]So, I have heard that:

MTNL DELHI 1650 PLAN - 200GB LIMIT
MTNL MUMBAI 1199 PLAN - 150GB LIMIT

Is this correct?

Last edited:
I'm talking about the Huawei E352 here. After a disconnection, it switches back to CDROM SCSI mode and stops working as a modem, therefore not reconnecting. It works well with my Huawei E1731 though (E352 has better signal reception, so I prefer that). For DD-WRT, I'm using dd-wrt.v24-21530_NEWD-2_K3.x_big. The default Asus firmware also was causing problems, as even when the modem connected, it stopped sharing this connection over wifi and wired clients. I even tried Asuswrt-Merlin builds but they didn't really help either. It's like a hit and miss. It works sometimes but fails at times. I have had no such trouble with DD-WRT (though the wifi range is far better on Asuswrt firmware that is with the K3x builds. K26 is flaky for the Huawei E352.

ASUS has changed something to the modems, there is a new official firmware out, but I cannot use the dongle with it as it just says connect script failed, for RMerlin stick to RT-N16_3.0.0.4_374.40_0.trx as he also uses the same source as ASUS with additional settings, not able to connect with his newer builds as well.

Back