Storage Solutions Best 3tb internal hdd currently available (21-2-2014)

N

NotMyRealName

After researching newegg/amazon.com it seems the best price-capacity ratio is for 3tb. Which is exactly my requirement too.
The 3tb WD red looks like a nice buy, amazon will ship it to india for Rs. 9,723, but the only issue is most of the negative complaints about the drive are about DOAs and probable cause is improper packaging. So shipping all the way to India would be even more risky. Prime is quoting me 10.2 for the drive which i'm not very happy with.
Also looked at the hitachi deskstar nas 3tb but the import duty on that is much higher bringing the landed cost to Rs. 13,165.
Any other options? I would prefer buying locally any day, if only local sellers would stop with the ripping off on non-mainstream products.

Ended up buying a WD red 3TB for 9.4k from Sunrise, vashi plaza.
Damn thing is playing hard-to-get making me run around trees to get it to work on xp.

Not exactly. On pre-uefi BIOS, 32-bit and MBR only allows addressing up to 2tb. Win7 64 allows 2TB on mbr and 3tb on GPT. XP can't see gpt so i needed to use MBR. A partition size of about 1.3TB made in & shows in xp, 1.5TB doesn't.
I ended up using the wd red hooked into my seagate 2tb backup plus dock-base thingy. The usb-sata chip inside does translation and i can use all 3TB in both xp and 7. And then used the backup plus directly connected to sata on my pc, which actually makes sense since it's a 7200rpm drive vs the wd red which is about 5400 rpm.
The end result is like some insane frankenstein shit, and i've done a lot of crazy shit over the years...

Update: Drive is for sale !

Decided not to bother with half-baked solutions getting 3TB to work with Xp, instead i'll get one or more 2TB drives as needed. Love the Red. It's cool, quiet and fast for a 5400rpm drive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back