OC & Modding Best CPU Cooler for i7 ?

xplodee

Disciple
Hello people, :tongue:

Its my very first post on Techenclave as referred by Salman.

I need to ask you people that which CPU cooler is best for i7 920.. ?

actually i want to confirm it from you experienced guys :)
i am totally new to i7 as its just some 20 days old (I can say Brand New:hap2:):eek:hyeah:
So please tell me the best CPU cooler in range from 3k to 4k.
i can invest more then this but ONLY if its 101% sure about superb performance :p :clap:

My PC specifications :

• Processor = i7 920
• Mobo = MSI x58 Pro-E
• RAM = 4Gb G-Skill Ripjaws (1333Mhz)
• HDD = 1Tb Seagate
• GPU = ATI Radeon 5770 (Sapphire)
• SMPS = 600W Cooler Master
I have had heard that msi boards are some more hot than other boards:(. So please keep that in mind and do suggest me a BEST CPU COOLER (Air / Water).
Regards,
Sumit

Well, it actually depends.. you want performance (Cooling over noise), silent machine (silence over performance), Balanced performance (Cooling = Noise) or best VFM...

Best VFM : Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus ( 2 Fans ) Rs. 2,000 + Rs. 650 for 120 mm 2,000 rpm fan..

Best Performance : Prolimatech Megahalem ( Not sure but above 3,000 )

Best performance + Noise : Cogage TRUE Spirit

OMG its xplodee! XD
Firstly, Welcome to TE :) . Despite the fact that replies might be a bit slower here, you've made the right choice.

Now, are you willing to get your cooler via US/Newegg/KMD(KMD is a dealer here who will get you stuff from the US for a premium)?
I ask this because a few coolers out there may not be available locally.

Now for recommendations, the Prolimatech Megahalems are your best bet if performance is what you are after.
If these exceed your budget and you want something that performs reasonably well, get the Xigmatek Dark Knight. I'd rate this cooler above TX3/Hyper 212 and AC Freezer 7 pro rev. 2 which are your other choices if on a budget. Both/all of the above are/should be available locally.

Some more performance options:-
Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme
Cogage TRUE Spirit (as suggested by St. John)
Scythe Mugen 2 (available locally)
Noctua NH-D14 (available locally)
Noctua NH-U12P SE2 (available locally)
Xigmatek Thor's Hammer (available locally)

If you are okay with spending ~5k the Corsair H50 water cooler is pretty sweet too.

You cannot go wrong with any of these. :)

On a final note, i would HIGHLY recommend you consider changing your Power supply. Do a quick search for CM Extreme Power 600 on these forums and you will find out how unreliable that particular unit is. I'm sure you love your i7 and want it to run as long and as well as possible. Consider this an investment for it, especially since you intend to overclock.
Feel free to clear your doubts/ask queries. Cheers!

EDIT: Consider getting some quality Thermal compound/paste/grease incase you are not happy with what you get with your cooler. Good choices are:-
Tuniq TX2/3
Arctic Silver 5
AC MX2/3
PK1(?, the prolimatech paste)

Cannot vouch for the following as have no experience with them but they might be just as good:-
OCZ Freeze
Noctua NH1

Welcome xplodee finally you arrived :)

Buy whatever you feel is right from the above suggestions are all good. :)

On the side note stop typing in bold ;)

I'd recommend the Venomous X as well, its way smaller than nearly all of its competition and yet allows a dual fan setup.

sorry to hijack the thread but how about asus silent knight as it is made of pure copper

looks great.is it not good? any idea will be welcome

thanks

OMG LoL !

I myself forget about this thread.

Well now Case : HAF 912 Moded

CPU Cooler : Hyper 212+ Push / Pull

Fans : Cooler Master XtraFlow x2

Back