Best Editor for Programming...!

Gaurish said:
Writing code in Notepad? No Thank you! I would rather suicide:mad:
When one of my friends went to an interview in a web design firm, they asked him to create a sample page in notepad. Needless to say, He f***ed up big time.

And..Coda and Textmate on Mac are like the best things ever.

I recently started using Intype. I'm kind of falling in love with it. Intype

Kalopsia said:
When one of my friends went to an interview in a web design firm, they asked him to create a sample page in notepad. Needless to say, He f***ed up big time.

I would stay away from any company that forces its employees to use notepad.

Kalopsia said:
Na.. they just wanted to see how how good he is at hard coding.
I guess that's not the way. I have never been asked about single syntax in my interviews. As everyone knows no one bothers to remember that with Intellisense out there, rather they asked about the logic, the way I'd solve it out, concepts on data structures etc.

So writing a syntax doesn't proves that.

BTW Starting of writing code manually surely helps to learn more, but that's not the way to decide if someone is capable actually.

Lite editor -

Geany - geany.org there are plugins to extend it.

Available for both Windows and Linux

The heavy weights -

Eclipse and Netbeans

In GNU/Linux, UNIX environments:

1. vi,vim,gvim : Tabbed Buffers, Split Buffers, Syntax indentation, Search under cursor, open file under cursor, multiple pattern highlights, Lighter on system, shell commands within the

editor, support for most of the Languages, Easy to implement Syntax highlighting for new filetypes, Easy to Keymaps, Minimal/No usage of Mouse.

2. Emacs : Most of the above. Has VIPER mode for users of VIM. Its a programming environment and not "only an editor".

In windows nothing you have used will come close to the useability of Source Insight 3.

Vim + addons is the best option imho for linux.

Back