Security Software Best Firewall + Antivirus

Looking for recommendations to secure the following:
1 Dell XPS13 windows 10
1 gaming rig windows 10
1 Macbook Air

Should I stick with freeware or is it worth investing in paid licensed AV?

Used to use AVG earlier but of late it seems they aren't rated too good?

Using Defender. Works for me.

Kaspersky seems to be active in our market with local presence being aggressively advertised! They've received a decent review as well.

Question is.. are paid versions really with the payment over free providers?

Kaspersky seems to be active in our market with local presence being aggressively advertised! They've received a decent review as well.

Question is.. are paid versions really with the payment over free providers?

An an IT Manager - I would say yes.

If you have the KES version (could be with others), it has some anti ransomware protection, which is nice. Secondly, it is light, not very heavy on system resources.

An an IT Manager - I would say yes.

If you have the KES version (could be with others), it has some anti ransomware protection, which is nice. Secondly, it is light, not very heavy on system resources.

My Mccrapee is expiring so nope don't have anything, will have to purchase if I go payware hence the question

My Mccrapee is expiring so nope don't have anything, will have to purchase if I go payware hence the question

Given a choice, I would suggest go with Sophos if you are a guy who lives on the dangerous edge.

Else Kaspersky is a decent bet.

Mccrapee would be better that squitirite from Quickheal, right? :p

Paid software do have extra features over free antivirus, like anti-ransomeware component, or banking security, etc... so if you require them, or feel safer with them, you should go for paid ones, otherwise quality free antivirus like Avast are sufficient.

Among the paid ones, Kaspersky always has been amongst the top... apart from that Bitdefender, and Norton are good.

Even free version of Bitdefender is good, but it doesn't provide much options in terms of controlling the software, so I personally don't like it. But, if you want install and forget, then it's a good software.

McAfee is not up to the mark, neither is QuickHeal.

An antivirus which sells like hot cakes in computer shops and often recommended by people is NPAV, which is completely useless. It sells purely on the hype that people have built about it. Some of the people I know often recommend NPAV, and I just laugh inside :D.

Considering Bitdefender 3 user 3 year license. Only wondering if it will also guarantee version upgrades for 3 years. Don't wanna pay to upgrade to an inevitable new version within 3 years

Paid software do have extra features over free antivirus, like anti-ransomeware component, or banking security, etc... so if you require them, or feel safer with them, you should go for paid ones, otherwise quality free antivirus like Avast are sufficient.

Among the paid ones, Kaspersky always has been amongst the top... apart from that Bitdefender, and Norton are good.

Even free version of Bitdefender is good, but it doesn't provide much options in terms of controlling the software, so I personally don't like it. But, if you want install and forget, then it's a good software.

McAfee is not up to the mark, neither is QuickHeal.

An antivirus which sells like hot cakes in computer shops and often recommended by people is NPAV, which is completely useless. It sells purely on the hype that people have built about it. Some of the people I know often recommend NPAV, and I just laugh inside :D.

Quickheal is actually spoiling the name of Make in India.

There is good news, for those looking for antivirus, specially free ones... Kaspersky are releasing a free version of their antivirus. It's really great news, as their antivirus is one of the best.

The free antivirus will not contain some features, which are there in the full commercial version, but, essential features like file protection, web protection, email protection will be there. Means all the basic protection that users require generally, will be there in the free version.

It will be slowly rolled out to different countries. It will be rolled out to India in September, so we still have sometime to wait.

Announcement from Kaspersky here:

https://eugene.kaspersky.com/2017/07/25/kl-av-for-free-secure-the-whole-world-will-be/

The free antivirus and other free Kaspersky tools are here:

http://free.kaspersky.com/

The antivirus is under the heading of Kaspersky free on the above page. I tried to download, but it still available yet, or, perhaps I didn't understand how to download.

The free version download will require to register an account with Kaspersky, according to this Ghacks article here:

https://www.ghacks.net/2017/07/26/kaspersky-free-antivirus-worldwide-roll-out-begins/

Please refer to the above article for more details.

I wanted to post this as a separate thread with above details, but I saw that a separate thread on this has already been posted in the forum, although with less details. Anyways, I hope this will be useful.

I am quite excited about this. Users now have an excellent free option for antivirus.

Windows Defender(Win 10) + Malware Bytes Antimalware + Common sense with Adblockers(Chrome) & Pihole (Docker) to nullify adverts over the network on all the devices.
Previously I used Avast + MWB

As this is an AV Discussion thread, You guys might be interested in reading this post which describes that they(Kaspersky) are working with Russian Intelligence. AS Antivirus software has full access to your data, you should always do proper research before committing to a product or service IMHO.

Back